question on eLor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ariel-Li

UC Davis C/O 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a question about my eLor...

I have a strong rec from a veterinarian I volunteered for in a shelter and two RAVS trips with; 2 rec from the research lab PI and postdoc; 1 rec from my orgo professor.

I work as a tech in a small animal hospital for 2 years now (1 year full time, 1 year part-time), will it look bad if I don't have a recommendation from any doctor in a place I've been employed longest in time? I can get at least 1 or 2 recommendation if I want to, but I'm not sure how strong it will be, since the past year I've been working only weekends.

Members don't see this ad.

Go for quality over quantity. Only get letters from people you know will write a good letter. In a perfect world it would look best to get a letter from someone who has worked with you for a long time and can also write you a great letter, but if that’s not in the cards, don’t worry about it. Not having a letter from them isn’t really going to hurt you. Having a mediocre letter will.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, I highly recommend you follow ajs513's advice. I had a mediocre letter from a veterinarian the first time I applied. It was mentioned in several of my file reviews. VMCVM told me it wasn't a bad letter, but it wasn't as strong as my other recommendations. OSU told me I needed a stronger recommendation from a veterinarian.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Go for quality over quantity. Only get letters from people you know will write a good letter. In a perfect world it would look best to get a letter from someone who has worked with you for a long time and can also write you a great letter, but if that’s not in the cards, don’t worry about it. Not having a letter from them isn’t really going to hurt you. Having a mediocre letter will.

Thank you!!