Seeking Vet eLor Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquaticanimals8

Reaction score
Hey! So, I am in a bit of a sticky situation like many others with a vet eLor. I was working at a clinic in Feb-March and had to stop going in cause they only allowed in full-time staff due to Covid. I will hopefully start back up in two weeks or so. I was planning on asking the vet there to write me a letter, but they obviously didn't get to know me as well as I'd hoped by now.

Does anyone know if a vet tech could write a letter in conjunction with the veterinarian?

I know they offer some of this stuff for med school with post docs/PIs co-writing, wasn't sure if they allowed it for the vet recommendations? I just know the tech/manager knows me much better and could help write a good recommendation with the veterinarian if it's possible.

Members don't see this ad.

At a couple of the places I worked, the vet would take comments from the other staff and use those thoughts in writing their letter. Vet schools don't prefer co-written letters as far as I remember, but you could suggest something like that. Also, if you are starting back in two weeks, you do still have plenty of time to get to know that vet better so they will have thoughts of their own in the letter too.

Reactions: 1 users
Just get to know the vet better. You still have time before they’re due.

You’re applying to vet school, not tech school. That’s like asking a research assistant for a letter.... At least post docs are PhDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! So, I am in a bit of a sticky situation like many others with a vet eLor. I was working at a clinic in Feb-March and had to stop going in cause they only allowed in full-time staff due to Covid. I will hopefully start back up in two weeks or so. I was planning on asking the vet there to write me a letter, but they obviously didn't get to know me as well as I'd hoped by now.

Does anyone know if a vet tech could write a letter in conjunction with the veterinarian?

I know they offer some of this stuff for med school with post docs/PIs co-writing, wasn't sure if they allowed it for the vet recommendations? I just know the tech/manager knows me much better and could help write a good recommendation with the veterinarian if it's possible.
I currently have been working at my vet clinic for a little over a year now and (if i have to reapply) I plan on asking the multiple vets there to write me a letter, along with the head technician who oversees techs, assistance, surgery etc. because i know she will write me a strong letter of rec talking about my positive attributes. Plus, you need letters from a professor, vet, and co-worker/job, which will knock out 2 areas for me, but that could have changed due to covid. I guess it comes down to if you think they can write you a STRONG letter of recommendation, it helps to have more than none and to look at the website of each school to see what they are now requiring with their covid changes.

Last edited:
I currently have been working at my vet clinic for a little over a year now and (if i have to reapply) I plan on asking the multiple vets there to write me a letter, along with the head technician who oversees techs, assistance, surgery etc. because i know she will write me a strong letter of rec talking about my positive attributes. Plus, you need letters from a professor, vet, and co-worker/job, which will knock out 2 areas for me, but that could have changed due to covid. I guess it comes down to if you think they can write you a STRONG letter of recommendation, it helps to have more than none and to look at the website of each school to see what they are now requiring with their covid changes.

Unless they’ve changed things since I applied (which is possible) or a specific school has the requirement, you don’t have to *have* a letter from a co-worker...I had one vet letter and three professor letters

Reactions: 3 users
Unless they’ve changed things since I applied (which is possible) or a specific school has the requirement, you don’t have to *have* a letter from a co-worker...I had one vet letter and three professor letters
Came here to say the same - I had 4 vet letters and 1 professor letter last year, and had no issues on the breakdown of my letter writers. This year I'm planning 1 professor, 2 vets (one large, one small), and 1 former supervisor (practice manager for 2 years). The most important parts are 1) people who will write you OUTSTANDING letters (not fine, not adequate, not good, OUTSTANDING and GLOWING) that are reasonably well-written, and 2) can speak to a breadth of skills or knowledge or experience. It doesn't make sense to have three letters from vets at the same practice, unless they can speak to very different specific aspects about you. I say this as someone who did this last year, and it was specifically mentioned to me in file reviews that my letters could have been stronger.

Also, I would say a head technician or shift lead or someone like that could be a good option for a letter in supervisory capacity, but remember that they need to write about you as a VETERINARY candidate, not necessarily just speak to your ability to place catheters or draw blood or take histories. If they can speak to you as someone who is a team player, or a leader, or excellent at client education, or strong problem-solving skills, those are all good. "Hard-worker" unfortunately won't cut it.

While your tech can write you an additional letter, you need to have at least 1 letter from a doctor. If there's a tech that can talk to the Dr about your attributes and your skills that would be great. However, the tech can't write a letter to replace your doctor letter and you need at least 1 letter from a doctor.
If I were you, I'd maybe ask your doctor if he could talk to your head tech about some of the ways you've contributed to the hospital and see if he can use that to help him write your letter. I hope that helps!

I don't think they allow recommendation letters with multiple authors, but like others have said I'm sure the vet would understand and take into account others views of you, however, you definitely still have time for them to get to know you personally.

I didn't realize this until later in my application process but you can submit your application before the eLORs are submitted. You just have to talk with the veterinarian and make sure they agree to write one and add their name to the application. Pretty sure VMCAS can verify you application information without the eLOR submitted, or it will at least get you ahead in the process if you are looking to submit early.

If you have any other veterinarian option I would also look into them and make sure you pick the person that would be better able to speak to your character and ability to excel as a veterinarian yourself. Go for quality over quantity, and make sure you fulfill the schools you apply to requirements!

Examples:
LMU 3 letters, 1 from a veterinarian, 1 from employer, 1 from a college professor
NCSU 3 letters, 2 from veterinarian/PhD; they also preferred only having 3 letters as of last year
other schools require up to 5 letters