question for people who have applied/interviewed with an MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardsurgguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the pre allo forum, but somebody said I may get better feedback here, so I figured I'd post it here as well

so I'm in an MBA program specific in health systems administration right now after having completed college in May

my question is specifically for anybody who has gone through the application/interview process with an MBA

how, if at all, have people regarded your graduate GPA? My position is that this is more a completion type of thing, that you have the MBA, which is important, not specifically the GPA of the grad program, in other words your grad GPA pretty much doesn't matter

or has anybody received negative attitudes if you stayed the same or went down from your undergrad GPA especially since the perception is that MBA courses are much easier than the ugrad sci courses

I'm not saying I'm going to get a 3.0 which is needed to stay in the program, but let's just put it this way, a 3.9-4.0 is equal to me for this program to a 3.6-3.7 (for reference, the average in the program is a 3.5)

right now I'm sacrificing a little study time to work more in the hopes of having a year or more of med school paid off before I even start, so I'd rather take a 3.6 than a 3.9 if it means much more money

Members don't see this ad.

I found that the specific GPA didn't matter, as long as it was higher than undergrad. A stellar performance in B-school isn't much different from a very good one. I think many adcoms just don't know quite what to do with the MBA and so don't think too deeply about it.

On another note, be prepared to answer the "why med school if you have the MBA" question. I know you're expecting it, but do have something good on tap as EVERYONE will ask it (I had 9/9 people ask me at one of my MD/PhD interviews!). It's not that it's a tough question, just a tough one to KEEP answering.

P