Question about what can one do as an FM asides from primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

experiment113

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering could a FM doctor essentially function as a psychiatrist? Not market oneself as a psychiatrist, but as a FM providing only psychiatry care comparable to that of a Psychiatrist?
Also how possible is it to do pain management as a FM doctor? Is it hard to get into a pain fellowship?
Also, how well does addiction medicine pay?
I know it's a lot i'm asking but.. I'm curious!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am wondering could a FM doctor essentially function as a psychiatrist? Not market oneself as a psychiatrist, but as a FM providing only psychiatry care comparable to that of a Psychiatrist?
Also how possible is it to do pain management as a FM doctor? Is it hard to get into a pain fellowship?
Your pt panel can be whatever you want it to be. All psych pts sure but the volume might be hard to get at first. Addiction jobs pay less than fm. And pain fellowship is a very uphill battle and improbable but possible

Your pt panel can be whatever you want it to be. All psych pts sure but the volume might be hard to get at first. Addiction jobs pay less than fm. And pain fellowship is a very uphill battle and improbable but possible
Ah I see thanks.... What can one do to 'bill more' or 'make more' as a FM doc? I'm sorta new to FM since I'm entering it from another field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah I see thanks.... What can one do to 'bill more' or 'make more' as a FM doc? I'm sorta new to FM since I'm entering it from another field.

1) Code correctly (If you aren’t billing mostly 99214, you’re doing it wrong).
2) Use modifier 25.
3) Office procedures.
4) See more patients.

Reactions: 2 users
would a FM still be able to 'bill' like a psychiatrist if treating psych patients?

In general, I do not encourage people to use FM as a "back door" into other specialties. I understand the temptation to do so, but it is rare to actually "pseudo-specialize" in FM, particularly when there is such a huge need for good, competent PCPs who enjoy actually practicing primary care.

Keep in mind that if you want to provide only psychiatry care, you'll basically be forced to market yourself as a psychiatrist - otherwise, how do you get patients to come see you for that? And if you do market yourself as a psychiatrist, you will be held to the same standard as a psychiatrist. So if you screw up, it could be a big big problem.

Reactions: 6 users
Why the heck would you want to get into pain management as a FM... don’t you deal with it on a daily basis? LBP, shoulder pain, hip pain... pain pain ... all for the past 20 years.

Why the heck would you want to get into pain management as a FM... don’t you deal with it on a daily basis? LBP, shoulder pain, hip pain... pain pain ... all for the past 20 years.
Idk actually, i'm not going into FM I found out lol. I still might want to do pain still though. ** shrugs.

In general, I do not encourage people to use FM as a "back door" into other specialties. I understand the temptation to do so, but it is rare to actually "pseudo-specialize" in FM, particularly when there is such a huge need for good, competent PCPs who enjoy actually practicing primary care.

Keep in mind that if you want to provide only psychiatry care, you'll basically be forced to market yourself as a psychiatrist - otherwise, how do you get patients to come see you for that? And if you do market yourself as a psychiatrist, you will be held to the same standard as a psychiatrist. So if you screw up, it could be a big big problem.
Like back door OB wannabies

You think 3 years FM will prepare you to essentially do the job of a 4 year trained psychiatry

You will not match into pain medicine either. That pathway essentially is for anyone with connections and not a normal applicant

Inpatient addiction may pay equal or slightly higher than FM, unless you own a methadone clinic

I would suggest accepting you're an FM doc and working within your field of training rather than wasting your training and basically becoming a glorified NP

Reactions: 1 users

Maybe OP wants to work at a pain center doing it exclusively, procedures, etc?
PCP do get a fair amount of pain for sure. I deal with most of it, But for anyone on chronic opioids, I refer to a pain center. So i essentially don't do an any opioid management. Its rare that i prescribe any.

Maybe OP wants to work at a pain center doing it exclusively, procedures, etc?
PCP do get a fair amount of pain for sure. I deal with most of it, But for anyone on chronic opioids, I refer to a pain center. So i essentially don't do an any opioid management. Its rare that i prescribe any.
Same. I can count on one hand the patients I give opioids to and two hands patients I give bnzs to

See more patients is usually the easiest way.

Reactions: 2 users