Can A FM Doc Afford To Own A House In LA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warriormonk

Reaction score
Can your average family medicine doctor afford to own their own home in Los Angeles?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you mean an actual house and not a condo, then not unless you work in the Midwest or southeast for 10 years and save a lot of money before moving to LA.

Members don't see this ad :)
House should not be over 2x household income. Nice homes in nice school districts are around 2-2.5 million. FM makes around 250-300k in LA. Run the numbers

Reactions: 1 user
Can your average family medicine doctor afford to own their own home in Los Angeles?

Where in Los Angeles?

Los Angeles county is huge and goes from the San Fernando valley/Lancaster to Pomona.

Can a family physician afford a house in Brentwood? No. But most physicians can't .

Can they afford a house in San Dimas? Probably.

Where in Los Angeles?

Los Angeles county is huge and goes from the San Fernando valley/Lancaster to Pomona.

Can a family physician afford a house in Brentwood? No. But most physicians can't .

Can they afford a house in San Dimas? Probably.

Maybe Inglewood haha. Yikes

This house is in Pomona.

An FM doc should be able to afford that

Last edited:
This house is in Pomona.

You don’t want to live in Pomona. Trust. Might get shot and robbed.

This house is in Pomona.

You can find similar priced homes in Diamond Bar, Chino Hills etc which are nicer, safer and have better schools.

I think the bigger problem would be if you own a home in Los Angeles in this scenario how are you also going to afford… basically anything that Los Angeles offers that makes it an attractive place to live? I don’t know myself but I imagine sports tickets, theater tickets, restaurants, whatever would be pretty hard to stretch if you dump everything on a mortgage?

I think the bigger problem would be if you own a home in Los Angeles in this scenario how are you also going to afford… basically anything that Los Angeles offers that makes it an attractive place to live? I don’t know myself but I imagine sports tickets, theater tickets, restaurants, whatever would be pretty hard to stretch if you dump everything on a mortgage?

You don’t. I know a lot of FM and hospitalists in SoCal. No real retirement contributions, barely keeping up on the hamster wheel. House? More like condo or house in subpar neighborhood.