FM locums docs advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tenbusu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any FM locums docs out there willing to DM me or share their experiences here? I’m about to retire from AF next year. Kids are out of the house, and wife (and cat) supportive of following me around. Looking to work 6-9 mons/year supplemented by military pension. Will be working over the next year on seeing lots of primary care pts since at my current clinic I only see young healthy people (Flight Surgeon). I’ve been talking with CompHealth, but they don’t talk much about compensation and keep asking me if I will work in Washington state for some reason. I'm willing to learn new skills or refresh old ones to meet demand. I’d really just love to talk with someone who is living the life already!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
He contacted me. I have replied. Have been getting killed at work since October when flu hit Texas early. Just now calming down, back to 40 people a day instead of 80.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
80 patients a day??????

I hope this is at an UC that pays you at least 3K per shift

Any FM locums docs out there willing to DM me or share their experiences here? I’m about to retire from AF next year. Kids are out of the house, and wife (and cat) supportive of following me around. Looking to work 6-9 mons/year supplemented by military pension. Will be working over the next year on seeing lots of primary care pts since at my current clinic I only see young healthy people (Flight Surgeon). I’ve been talking with CompHealth, but they don’t talk much about compensation and keep asking me if I will work in Washington state for some reason. I'm willing to learn new skills or refresh old ones to meet demand. I’d really just love to talk with someone who is living the life already!
It's locums what do you mean they don't talk about compensation. That's the first thing you ask and demand a response. And then you negotiate. Every single time.

Reactions: 2 users
It's locums what do you mean they don't talk about compensation. That's the first thing you ask and demand a response. And then you negotiate. Every single time.
In their defense, I haven't spoken with them about specific jobs. I'm still about 8 months from being able to take anything. But I have heard the "$90-$110/hr" quoted frequently for Family Med, which is the same rates I was quoted a few years ago. I'm looking for more granularity, i.e. if some regions pay more than others, or if UC vs primary care are compensated differently. It seems most jobs posted say "~18-22 pts per day, no call or weekends." Surely this is a starting point, with negotiation possible? Like what if I want to see more or work weekends?

In their defense, I haven't spoken with them about specific jobs. I'm still about 8 months from being able to take anything. But I have heard the "$90-$110/hr" quoted frequently for Family Med, which is the same rates I was quoted a few years ago. I'm looking for more granularity, i.e. if some regions pay more than others, or if UC vs primary care are compensated differently. It seems most jobs posted say "~18-22 pts per day, no call or weekends." Surely this is a starting point, with negotiation possible? Like what if I want to see more or work weekends?
Those things may or may not be flexible. If they have one MA who's not super fast, seeing more than 22 pts/day may not be realistic, or perhaps there's just not that much volume available in the community. Maybe staff aren't contracted to work evenings/weekends. And so on. I can't comment much on pay.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m making around 190/hr doing family medicine clinic locums. Those 110-120/hr locum jobs are bs.

Reactions: 1 users
I would never consider those offers. Almost any W2 gig I've entertained guaranteed >/= $110/hr. I would think the 1099 gigs would need to pay at least 30% higher when taking all the benefits the W2 gig gives to the employee.

With the above said, I would only consider 1099 positions if they offered at least $150/hr plus malpractice and tail coverage. Would also expect to be paid for any telephone call they would want from me as well. Those that gave housing, travel, and food stipends would be preferred to those that didn't. These requirements may seem a little rich, but its kind of hard to consider traveling to a locums gig when you get a W2 job that offers what was stated previously and don't require you to move every so many months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
He contacted me. I have replied. Have been getting killed at work since October when flu hit Texas early. Just now calming down, back to 40 people a day instead of 80.
@cabinbuilder would you be willing to share that advice as well ? since many of us may also find us in that situation in the coming months

Thanks

I would never consider those offers. Almost any W2 gig I've entertained guaranteed >/= $110/hr. I would think the 1099 gigs would need to pay at least 30% higher when taking all the benefits the W2 gig gives to the employee.

With the above said, I would only consider 1099 positions if they offered at least $150/hr plus malpractice and tail coverage. Would also expect to be paid for any telephone call they would want from me as well. Those that gave housing, travel, and food stipends would be preferred to those that didn't. These requirements may seem a little rich, but its kind of hard to consider traveling to a locums gig when you get a W2 job that offers what was stated previously and don't require you to move every so many months.
Very helpful, thanks. I've been doing Teladoc on the side for awhile, so I'm familiar w/ 1099 taxes. I set aside 30% and that has been sufficient over the past few years to cover payroll and income taxes. But my full-time gig is active duty, so I've been in a lower tax bracket. I'm planning on saving 40% of 1099 income after I retire, and adjust PRN.

I'm sure there's an upper limit to what the market can support. I.e. they can't pay you more than their income minus expenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Very helpful, thanks. I've been doing Teladoc on the side for awhile, so I'm familiar w/ 1099 taxes. I set aside 30% and that has been sufficient over the past few years to cover payroll and income taxes. But my full-time gig is active duty, so I've been in a lower tax bracket. I'm planning on saving 40% of 1099 income after I retire, and adjust PRN.

I'm sure there's an upper limit to what the market can support. I.e. they can't pay you more than their income minus expenses.
Sometimes they'll pay you at a loss just to keep some operations functional until they can hire a permanent physician, as it is cheaper to run a deficit versus shutting the entire clinic down, laying off staff that will find new jobs, and rehiring staff once they get a permanent doc on board