Question about the UQ-Ochsner match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave Chester

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UQ-O match rate overall is 94%. That is very impressive, but it is only counting the people who successfully passed Steps 1 and 2 and applied to the match. Still, 6% didn't match. So my question is: what were the reasons these students didn't match? For US MD/DO students who don't match, the common reason is they must have done something very terrible to not match because even students who failed a Step once still match, or that they pick a specialty that is too competitive for them. But UQ-O students are IMGs so these reasons might not apply to them, so I'm curious: what were the reasons that UQ-O students who have passed both Steps didn't match?

Members don't see this ad.

I asked this same question. It was mostly due to not taking your step exams on time (you enter the match and don't have all exams done BEFORE ERAS opens). For IMGs, having a complete exam is important and most places won't look at you until your application is complete.

The second (much smaller reason) is not applying to the right/enough places. There are those who think their 192 Step 1 + 214 Step 2 is enough to get into ENT with a specialization in Plastic Surgery (I'm exaggerating to make a point) with no backups. Some of these people do eventually match the subsequent year after they find humility.

Probably the weakest reason is just not interviewing well. Then again, I asked these questions like 3 years ago so they may be out of date and have other reasons now. None are surprising and frankly you'd probably find these reasons in any international medical school.

UQ-O match rate overall is 94%. That is very impressive, but it is only counting the people who successfully passed Steps 1 and 2 and applied to the match. Still, 6% didn't match. So my question is: what were the reasons these students didn't match? For US MD/DO students who don't match, the common reason is they must have done something very terrible to not match because even students who failed a Step once still match, or that they pick a specialty that is too competitive for them. But UQ-O students are IMGs so these reasons might not apply to them, so I'm curious: what were the reasons that UQ-O students who have passed both Steps didn't match?

Yeah you have to pass Step 1, Step 2 CK & Step 2 CS to get ECFMG certified (and transcripts/medical school diploma), so you can submit your ROL. If you put off Step 2 CS and don't have a pass in time to be certified you can't submit and certify a ROL. That's caused some people problems. The thing is, the program is very clear with the timelines they present, e.g. have this done by this month, start working on your PS in advance of your society head meeting, etc. It's hard to say why some people don't match. I suspect it's because they got good advising and decided against doing what they were told, e.g. not applying for a super competitive residency if you don't have the profile of a competitive applicant for it, not applying broadly, not having a backup if you were borderline competitive for something moderately to highly competitive, or red flags (poor letters/generic letters, poor interviewing, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
UQ-O match rate overall is 94%. That is very impressive, but it is only counting the people who successfully passed Steps 1 and 2 and applied to the match.
Every school measures it that way: matched/entered. UQO isn't special in the way they calculate their match percentage. Those that don't match usually do so because they lacked the correct outlook based on their competitiveness. Not sure how many entered the match for my year, but about 10 of us went to Australia out of the 100ish that graduated.