Question about summer classes

x1240tony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've taken classes during the summer while in high school. I had a pretty good experience. I guess online summer courses give you flexibility. Which is nice since it's summer and you may want to take a trip or something. However, I would recommend taking physical classes, as I think it preps you for what you will be experiencing in the fall (some professors actually count your physical attendance as part of your grade). Is the summer semester more expensive or something? Why would it cost you more to go to the state school in the summer?

It's just a non relevant general ed, so I would assume not.

Yeah you nailed it here. Don't take the core sciences or other med school pre-requisites at a community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as the credits can be transferred I would say go for it! Anything you can do to lighten your load before freshman year helps. I came in with 28 credits (between AP, placement, and already taken college courses). It makes your life much easier and allows you to focus more on the pre-req classes where your grades are very important. Also... For gen ed courses, online>in class

Is the summer semester more expensive or something? Why would it cost you more to go to the state school in the summer?

The summer semester is more expensive at the state school, something like 1,200 dollars per class. At my community college I can take both the classes for about 500 dollars.

The reason I don't want to take it in the fall because at my school it is notoriously difficult if you don't get the one professor that everyone opts for. I love history, but I don't want to spend 25 hours a week on a general education class that is worth 6 general ed credits total. I want to concentrate on my pre-req classes for medical school rather and get A's in them rather than spending 80% of my time working my ass off to get an A in a class that doesn't mean much to me.

I want to concentrate on my pre-req classes for medical school rather and get A's in them rather than spending 80% of my time working my ass off to get an A in a class that doesn't mean much to me.

This is sort of what I'm dealing with now. I want to be done with the general classes and I want to focus only on the science/math. Take a summer class as it will lessen the load for future semesters. Hmm, as far as the college/state school thing, it's sort of a personal thing. Do you have the extra $$ to spare? Obviously taking summer classes at the state university would be ideal but if it's not in the cards, don't. If it's not a science or math course you should be fine with taking it at a cc.