Question about stafford loan?

DrHoosier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a quick question, I just got my letter from the college I'm going to next year (I will be a freshman) about my financial aid. I qualified for the federal direct sub loan ($2,656) and the federal direct unsub loan ($2844), totalling $5500. My question is, is that the amount I get for the whole year, or is it for each semester?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat as you only entitled to $5,500 in stafford loans , I believe it's for two semesters . I am not sure . I wanna say for one school year but I don't want to mislead you somehow . Because for one school year for me will cost $11,520 , so I had to take out an additional $7,000 .

Last edited:
In my financial aid report, the loans are calculated for the entire year. Usually on the report is a description of the total cost of attendance for an entire year, and they break the cost down, and describe how much will be in loans for the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought so cause that's what my financial aid adviser did with me . I must wonder though does this mean that it is what our costs will be yearly ? Or will that change if say the tuition goes up ? Or is it locked from the time we started? ....Of course we wouldn't be so lucky...

I thought so cause that's what my financial aid adviser did with me . I must wonder though does this mean that it is what our costs will be yearly ? Or will that change if say the tuition goes up ? Or is it locked from the time we started? ....Of course we wouldn't be so lucky...
Stafford loans increase in amount as you move along with your education. This past year I was eligible for 2000 unsubsidized and 6500 subsidized. That is more than freshman year.

Well that's great to know , I'm glad to hear that , would that mean I wouldn't have to take out as much in private loans ? Depending on if the tuition goes up I'm assuming ?

thats not good, i thought it was per semester. oh well, its only $5,000 more dollars in loans right? :idea:

Well that's great to know , I'm glad to hear that , would that mean I wouldn't have to take out as much in private loans ? Depending on if the tuition goes up I'm assuming ?
The amount you qualify for every year systematically increases regardless of tuition. You'll have to google the amounts since I don't know off the top of my head.