College options - loan, gap year, or CC

Mintcake

Lurker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I post stupid topics and get embarrassed. But there is no turning back now.

Short version for people who missed it:
Should I:
  • Take out 15k in loans to go to university now
  • Do americorps for a year to get $5500 education award + ~6-7k in savings
  • Go to CC where classes might be hard to get into
  • Go to CC in TX with relatives and/or try to establish residency there

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to a CC if you're worried about $$$

Although there are people on SDN who disagree with me, I still believe you need to be working or dependent for one year without being in school in order to be a Texas resident because Definition (10) of the "Residency Rules PDF" states "Established domicile in Texas--Physically residing in Texas with the intent to maintain domicile in Texas for at least the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date of the term of enrollment..."

I really don't know if your relatives filing you as their dependent will work either since they aren't your "parents." But it COULD work if they become your "court-approved legal guardians."

What I recommend people do is just become independent, work/own property in Texas while volunteering/practicing another language/cycling/studying for the MCAT/whatever for a year, and then attend a CC or free uni that classifies you as an In-state Resident (Rice would not do this).

Notice how the Residency Questionaire can be quickly filled out and reviewed ("If you were enrolled at a Texas public institution during a fall or spring semester within the previous 12 months and were classified as a Texas resident, skip to Part I, sign and date this form and submit it to your institution").

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooohh... I see. Thanks for bringing that up, Hillo. I'll have to look into it a little more, but I definitely don't want to spend a year or two there, plan to transfer, and not get in-state tuition. I could go there, try to get a job and rent, but I might as well stay here and work, save, and go to school where there's no possibility of me screwing things up.

Argh! Every choice is simultaneously the best choice and the worst choice!'

I realize I can't really ask anyone for input on this.. every day I'm getting closer to having to snuff out the other decisions and every day I weigh my options like something's changed. I'm going to have regrets no matter what I do, but I don't want to be completely stingy or scared of money or what might happen.

Last edited:
lawlz @ changed title

abandon-thread-gif-cats.gif

Last edited:
^^
And they don't delete any threads because it shall live on the internet foreverrrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited:
^^
And they don't delete any threads because is shall live on the internet foreverrrrrrrrrrr.

>: | Yeah I've noticed. Reedited.
But yeah, I will take Americorps if they offer the position to me. In the back of my mind, I just think there is merit to every choice. Provided I do my best, taking out loans and going straight to university could be as good a choice as CC or americorps.

@mesinan, well mine came from Mintcake trying to change the title and get the thread deleted. soo..

and idk about a stolen gif :p

I found mine somewhere out in the interwebs.

I swear to God people on this site don't know how to let threads die.