Question about Recommendation letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobDoleX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi al, i had a question about the letters of recommendation. I've currently in the process of obtaining two letters from a physics and physiology teacher and i will be obtaining one from an optometrist when i shadow one soon.

I was wondering, typically how many letters of recommendation are required for most schools? My employer, although not related to the health field, has also offered to write me a recommendation. Would including his recommendation too be useful or would it be overkill? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes. most schools require 3 (2 from prof and 1 from optometrist/outside source), but some schools allow you to send in additional references. if someone offers you a letter of rec, chances are it'll be a pretty good one. i'd take it. g'luck.

Bob,
Call the schools where you are applying. Even though they say they will take 3, some will take more, some ONLY want three. For example ICO told me to only send three and they would not weigh an employer letter very heavily.... so it might be worth calling each school you are interested in. They will tell you exactly what they want.

Hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
Call the schools or look on their applications. Usually, it says right on the application how many are required. If I can remember correctly, I was required to submit 1 LOR for PCO and it had to be from a pre-professional committee. I was also given the option of submitting 3 from other professors.

ok sounds great, i guess if the school i want to will accept the employer rec. i probably will just for good measure. thanks for the help.

I also had a question about rec letters...do most schools consider anat/physio as non-science letters??

to fla2009, i'm not certain about this, but i would imagine that those count as science courses; but again, im not sure

also, daysend85, i was wondering what a pre-professional commitee was? Is that something you get through a school counselor or through career counseling?

same question about the PRE-professional commitee

also, daysend85, i was wondering what a pre-professional commitee was? Is that something you get through a school counselor or through career counseling?

Some schools have a committee that will send out a single letter from the input of a variety of professors, or have the head of the committee write a letter on behalf of many professors (I'd assume based off of your transcript and your involvement with the professors on the committee). Not all schools have this (mine doesn't). Just check with your academic advisor if your school has a committee, and the procedure to get a letter from them.

What if you graduated over a year ago and haven't had any recent instructors? Maybe I can go hunt them down and hope they remember me in class. What would you guys recommend? I think i'll have to call the schools and ask what I could use.

In response to fla2009, A&P is considered a biology class and a science course non the less, so i don't see why it wouldn't be accepted as a science LOR. I'm in the process if getting a letter from my A&P teacher, but now you got me thinking, time to call up some schools! does anyone know anything more about this?

of course A&P is a Science class!! and Lucid, I would email some professors that you think might remember you, or especially ones that you earned a good grade in their class, if you explain to them you need a LOR they will probably look back and just see what your grade was a write you a good one, even if they dont remember you :)

* Also just a note about the Pre-professional committee, these usually are at schools that have "Pre-professional" as an actual Major... you can go on to graduate school/professional school after only 3 years of college (assuming your grades are impressive enough to get in without a degree) and your first year of professional school counts as your "fourth year" towards your undergrad degree. These committees usually hold a formal interview with you and thats how they fill out the recommendation

Last edited:
does anyone know if optometry schools accept letters sent through interfolio?

does anyone know if optometry schools accept letters sent through interfolio?

i'm not sure what interfolio is, but my school does something called "virtual evaluations" where the recommender only needs to write one, submit it to my pre-health advisor at school, and they scan and send them to the respective schools. in this case, indiana and pennsylvania accept virtual evaluations, while michigan does not. i do not know if other schools do, but if you call them and ask they should be able to tell you. every school is different, so make sure you check with every school you plan to send recs to.