question about emailing residency directors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izzie516

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm planning to email a few PGY2 residency directors in preparation for midyear, but I have this silly question that came up. I used to refer to everyone as Dr. so and so when I was still a student, but now I'm a PGY1 resident and have always called every pharmacist by his/her first name. So for emailing residency directors for the first time, do you guys usually use their first names or Dr. [last name]? Sorry about my silly question :)

Members don't see this ad.

I believe I would stay formal with the first email and wait for the response. if the director signs their name Dr. John/Jane Doe then I would continue to address them as Dr. If they sign it John/Jane Doe I believe that is okay for you to address them with their first name.

I believe I would stay formal with the first email and wait for the response. if the director signs their name Dr. John/Jane Doe then I would continue to address them as Dr. If they sign it John/Jane Doe I believe that is okay for you to address them with their first name.

as a side note I e-mailed my next rotation preceptor to touch base and the guy got all huffy and puffy cause I addressed him as Mr. _________ instead of Dr. ________ . Yes I should have done the research first to find out if he was an Rph or a PharmD but I just figured Mr. would be safe as it wasn't a female. :rolleyes: Then to be an even bigger punk at the end of the e-mail he said, "you are welcome to address me by my first name". I certainly don't like what I perceived to be his arrogance but I guess I could have avoided it all by finding out first if he was a PharmD:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Agreed. You are forming new relationships with people who are not your co-workers. It's probably better to err on the side of professionalism.

speaking of emailing residency directors... is it corny to email them just showing interest and asking for advice on how to gain acceptance into the program? im thinking it shows eagerness and willingness to do what it takes...?

opinions?

speaking of emailing residency directors... is it corny to email them just showing interest and asking for advice on how to gain acceptance into the program? im thinking it shows eagerness and willingness to do what it takes...?

opinions?

Be sure when you do e-mail not to ask questions that can be answered already via their own website or the ASHP directory.

as a side note I e-mailed my next rotation preceptor to touch base and the guy got all huffy and puffy cause I addressed him as Mr. _________ instead of Dr. ________ . Yes I should have done the research first to find out if he was an Rph or a PharmD but I just figured Mr. would be safe as it wasn't a female. :rolleyes: Then to be an even bigger punk at the end of the e-mail he said, "you are welcome to address me by my first name". I certainly don't like what I perceived to be his arrogance but I guess I could have avoided it all by finding out first if he was a PharmD:)

No offense here, but I can understand their point a little. When I graduate my outlook is that I didn't earn a doctorate to be addressed Mr. But after we clarify that and we meet you can call me Wes....until I meet that prick of a student (and yes we all know who we are talking about) and then I will make sure they know they can call me Dr. :laugh:

Sorry but when I'm precepting, I would respond the same way. You should always be formal until told otherwise. I addressed everyone as Dr. until they corrected me or told me that I could refer to them by their first name. True most preceptors will allow you to call them by their first name but as a student you should always be more formal until told otherwise.

Dr. is most appropriate unless you personally know that person WELL. :p