Question about Authorship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sykosomatik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some basic science research for a couple of months now. I'm getting a paper published in a small journal as a 4th author.

On one hand, I want to leave because I feel like I'm doing a lot of work but not getting what I expected. But on the other hand, I wonder if I have too much expectations.

Should I leave this place? If I do, I'm kind of worried that I'll be burning a bridge and may not get listed as an author on two coming papers (again probably in a small journal as an even lower author). Plus, I wonder if residency directors will see me as a flake or not having committment - maybe that's worse than not. Does the place where you're listed as an author really count all that much to the RD or do they just care about your research

Members don't see this ad.

I've been doing some basic science research for a couple of months now. I'm getting a paper published in a small journal as a 4th author.

On one hand, I want to leave because I feel like I'm doing a lot of work but not getting what I expected. But on the other hand, I wonder if I have too much expectations.

Should I leave this place? If I do, I'm kind of worried that I'll be burning a bridge and may not get listed as an author on two coming papers (again probably in a small journal as an even lower author). Plus, I wonder if residency directors will see me as a flake or not having committment - maybe that's worse than not. Does the place where you're listed as an author really count all that much to the RD or do they just care about your research

At what stage of your education are you? What is your status in the lab - volunteer student researcher, technician, etc.? What is your next career goal - med. school, residency, MD/PhD?

The answers to these questions factor in. Progressing through the various stages of medical education is a game and you have to make calculated moves. If you feel like you are not getting anything out of being in the lab, then look for another one. Maybe, you could talk with your PI about your issues and goals and work something out. PIs like agressive people and you might be able to do a project as a first author, depending on how much time you can devote.

Again, it all depends on how far along you are and what your goals are.

2 months of research and already 3 manuscrips, albeit 4+ author? Sounds like your PI is very generous with giving out authorship, actually.