Authorship in clinical studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

transform744

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question about authorship in clinical studies. I'm a grad student in an fMRI lab and there's this one study that we've conducted a few times over the past couple of years. Several papers have been published in top journals over the past few years from this one study, since the data is so exhaustive and there are so many different questions of interest that can be answered from the data.

Authorship on these papers has generally included:
A) 2 senior professors who designed the study and supervised the medical aspects of it;
B) 1 junior scientist who normalized the data;
C) 1 graduate student who did data analysis;
D) 1 full-time research assistant who assisted with data analysis.

So basically with each new paper, we are trying to answer some new question based on the same data. So am I correct in assuming that the core group involved with the clinical aspects of the study will always get listed as co-authors regardless of any new analysis I do? The PI of the lab has asked me to look at a new question based on this data, one that hasn't been directly addressed before. I'm working with one of his senior grad students. Nothing new clinically or experimentally is being done. I am just analyzing existing data to uncover new answers and such. So I assume A and B will be listed as co-authors regardless.

We are still in the data analysis phase. The other grad student has referred to this as "your paper." So I am doing the analysis and I am coming up with the findings. The PI is guiding me though in terms of what I should be looking for. So I assume, if I contribute significantly to the actual writing, it would be reasonable for me to get first authorship? What if I come up with the results, but they do the actual writing?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone?

Last edited: