Quantitative Preparation-Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chigrl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in eventually applying to programs in Epidemiology, but I'm concerned about my undergraduate math preparation. I took three math courses and did not do well in one of them. The courses and grades are as follows:
Calc I B+
Calc II C-
Biostats A
Should I remedy the poor math grade? I plan on intensively studying for the quantitative section of the GRE. I have an undergraduate degree in the sciences and two years of public health experience. I just began looking into programs, but one that I am very interested in is UMN. I would greatly appreciate advice from MPH/MS Epi students regarding my chances of acceptance. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just my 0.02 - I think you'd be fine, especially if you do well on your quant. GRE. Unless you plan on taking a lot of theoretical statistics, you won't need calculus. If you really wanted to take another course, you might consider a more advanced biostats class (like regression, or epi data analysis).

I sucked at math from age 3-21. Division, algebra, trig, calc...I sucked at it all. And then I took stats, and realized I was actually good at it. It seems like statistical reasoning is a bit different from trig/calc reasoning, and that some people are great at one but not the other.

My grades weren't that different, and I did really well on the quant section of the GRE. As far as I can tell my quant abilities were never questioned. I think you'll be just fine if you do OK on your quant GRE.

Thank you both for the advice. I'll look into those stats classes, dante201, and study hard for the quant GRE. Adcadet, I notice you went to UMN. Are there many opportunities for MPH students to get involved in research at this school?