Put off school for another year...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a unique position right now. Maybe your experiences can offer some insight...

I'm currently a resident of western Maryland. I've already crossed off the two options this state has to offer for PT education for a number of reasons (mainly undesirable location/passing rates.) I do like the University of West Virginia. The problem is 1) I'm not a resident of West Virginia currently, and 2) their out-of-state tution is ~25k/year (as opposed to ~9k/year for in state.) I'm also looking into applying to St. Francis University of Pennsylvania (private institution, ~23K/year, residency is irrelevant.) Location is an important variable because being close to family will ultimately increase my success in the program.

Many current PTs have recommended minimizing school loan debt as much as possible. I'm currently ~60k in debt from attaining my A.S. in Business MGMT, and B.S. in Nutrition Science from PSU. It's looking like my student loan debt will be ~135k (not including extra living/school expenses) if I remain on course and apply to programs this year.

The high debt projected leads me thinking of an alternative path to decreasing my overall debt. I'm looking into the possible option of delaying this whole process a year and establishing residency in West Virginia with intent to obtain the “in-state tuition” rate of WVU. The problems to this are 1) there is no gaurantee that I will get into the program even if I did this (putting all of my eggs into one basket), and 2) another year salary of ~20k/year working as PT aide (hopefully if I did this) and part-time anatomy tutor which could be a year working with a salary as a PT (the increased salary would help offset the increased loans). The other element is the fact I do have ~6 years of education currently and I'm anxious to enter the workforce and start contributing. I just turned 28 years old so I'll be 32 years old upon completion of the program if I applied this year and was accepted.

My stats
GPA cumulative: ~3.7
Prereq GPA: ~3.8
170 credits total (150 taken at Penn State University). 4 “Bs” on transcript over the past 4 years. Also pretty much set the curve for O-chem, biochem, metabolism classes which aren't prereqs but have taken them. (I wonder if it will help though)?

GREs: haven't taken yet... currently studying. Feel confident though.
Experiences: A downside probably...most of my current experience has been in food service as a server in upscale restaurants (flexible schedule with school, helped support me financially through school). I did have the opportunity to work as the Anatomy/Physiology tutor at my current college which should be helpful.

I listed an APTA source below for tuition data. Any insight on this situation is greatly appreciated.

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...schools/acc_schools_map.cfm&process=3&type=PT

Members don't see this ad.

I think the answer is up to your personal preferences. You've already allowed them to discard school choices for in-state (MD) tuition which is ok but all choices have consequences whether good, bad, or indifferent.

Since debt is a major concern of yours I would rethink the choices in MD and at least apply to the one with the highest pass rate. A move to WV might not be such a bad idea. Although you may give up a year for residency it may pay dividends. If you chose that route I would definitely keep in contact with key people at WVU during your residency period to make sure you have the highest chance possible of acceptance. It may interest you to know that some schools have very lenient residency policies such as Univ. of South Alabama. From what I understand they have a solid reputation along with a VERY lenient residency policy taboot. Tuition at USA is WAL-MART cheap as well, making it a very lucrative choice to many.

On the other hand you can bite the bullet and apply to schools ad libitum and where you get in is where you go regardless of residency. There are very sweet deals as far as loan repayment programs through state/federal funds (ie. serving underserved in urban/rural areas). Some programs offer up to 20k per year for eligible loans. I'm not sure why staying near family would increase your success in a program but if that is the case you need to stay home in MD.

I think the answer is up to your personal preferences. You've already allowed them to discard school choices for in-state (MD) tuition which is ok but all choices have consequences whether good, bad, or indifferent.

Since debt is a major concern of yours I would rethink the choices in MD and at least apply to the one with the highest pass rate. A move to WV might not be such a bad idea. Although you may give up a year for residency it may pay dividends. If you chose that route I would definitely keep in contact with key people at WVU during your residency period to make sure you have the highest chance possible of acceptance. It may interest you to know that some schools have very lenient residency policies such as Univ. of South Alabama. From what I understand they have a solid reputation along with a VERY lenient residency policy taboot. Tuition at USA is WAL-MART cheap as well, making it a very lucrative choice to many.

On the other hand you can bite the bullet and apply to schools ad libitum and where you get in is where you go regardless of residency. There are very sweet deals as far as loan repayment programs through state/federal funds (ie. serving underserved in urban/rural areas). Some programs offer up to 20k per year for eligible loans. I'm not sure why staying near family would increase your success in a program but if that is the case you need to stay home in MD.

Well actually the question is not as much what state as it is where in that state. WVU is one hour away from where my current location is. I can drive 3 miles from where I'm at currently and actually be in the state of West Virginia. So it wouldn't require much of a change to actually move to West Virginia. The thought process is move to WV after completion of all my prereqs in Maryland (currently getting “in-state” tuition here). After the prerequisites are completed, move across the border to WV(I need one year of residency without going to school), continue to work at my current school as a part-time anatomy/physiology tutor, and find work as a PT aide in the nearby area. The thinking is that with this experience, as well as my statistics, I will be considered a top candidate among the 30 that are accepted each year into the program. I could then attain the “in-state” tuition throughout PT school and my total debt would be much more manageable once I got out. I'd like to think this is an option, however...

The flip side to this thinking is if I did just apply to the program this year and was accepted to WVU. My guess is my final debt would be around 160-170k when I got out and started a career as a PT. As my student loan debt would be ~50-60k higher than if I waited a year, that would also be a year where I could be working as a PT. I could simply continue to live my frugal lifestyle for a couple of years and concentrate on paying down the additional debt. I'd have little choice considering around half of my paycheck would be going to pay off student loans.

What has made this process more complicated is the fact I'm trying to accomodate my girlfriend as well. She is a chef so I ultimately am trying to get her into a position where jobs will be available so she can grow in her profession as well. Proximity is important because she has a close relationship with her mother whom she sees weekly. I would not want to even ask to take that from her.

Everything is kind of pointing to WVU right now. I like the program and location. I'd like to work in WV initially. Part of me is saying bite the financial bullet and go this year. This would be one more year earlier making a PT salary over a PT aide/Teacher's aide salary which would help offset the increase in student loans that would result from being “out-of-state.” Another part of me is saying minimize student loan debt and the financial obligation as much as possible. Of course all of this is assuming that I am what the school is looking for and that they would even accept me. I'd like to think that I'm a solid candidate.

Thanks for your response.