Possible to drop a program for another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniel86155

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for a friend...let's say you were accepted to a program that starts a lot earlier than the others and you send the deposit because you are scared you will not get accepted elsewhere. (Would this automatically stop other schools from accepting you?) But a week before the term starts, you get an acceptance from another school you would be a lot better off financially. The deposit would be lost, but is this even possible?

What can you do legally?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t see a reason why not. A lot of programs will even give you your deposit back.

Asking for a friend...let's say you were accepted to a program that starts a lot earlier than the others and you send the deposit because you are scared you will not get accepted elsewhere. (Would this automatically stop other schools from accepting you?) But a week before the term starts, you get an acceptance from another school you would be a lot better off financially. The deposit would be lost, but is this even possible?

What can you do legally?

Well they certainly won't sue you if that's what you mean by "legally"! It's very common, it's just that you have to be willing to eat the cost of the deposit; they know that certain schools are better for certain students for whatever reason, it's why they have waitlists so that when people drop they can offer someone else!

I accepted the first school I got into (no deposit required) then a couple months later I was accepted at my top choice! Simply had to word a nice professional email explaining that I would be attending a different school and to please rescind my acceptance and offer it to the next person.

Guarantee there's someone on the waitlist of the school you want to drop who's dying to get the call that they're in because you chose somewhere else. There's always stories of people getting off the waitlist the day before classes start and scrambling to fly cross-country but it's worth it to them!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well they certainly won't sue you if that's what you mean by "legally"! It's very common, it's just that you have to be willing to eat the cost of the deposit; they know that certain schools are better for certain students for whatever reason, it's why they have waitlists so that when people drop they can offer someone else!

I accepted the first school I got into (no deposit required) then a couple months later I was accepted at my top choice! Simply had to word a nice professional email explaining that I would be attending a different school and to please rescind my acceptance and offer it to the next person.

Guarantee there's someone on the waitlist of the school you want to drop who's dying to get the call that they're in because you chose somewhere else. There's always stories of people getting off the waitlist the day before classes start and scrambling to fly cross-country but it's worth it to them!

Thanks so much for this helpful information!

Reactions: 1 user
Other schools do not care if you were accepted anywhere else. They may ask you about it during an interview (I have never been asked that question), so just come up with a good answer why you would choose this school over others in case they do ask .
I got accepted to school 1 in Dec. Its program would start in June. I submitted my deposit there. Got interview in school 2 in April whose program would start in Sept. Got accepted to school 2 and just informed school 1 I changed my mind. They kept my deposit, which I knew they would - that's it. I was also planning to start program in school 1 and dropped out of it if I had got accepted to school 2 later in summer. Fortunately, I did not have to do that and lose money on tuition lol.

Last edited: