Another chiro thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VEGETAbale

Reaction score
Okay here it goes. I have 3.3 gpa and its a bit to low to get into a cheap PT program in California. I've decided to start seriously considering chiro school and have a few reasons for doing so. Can some of you experienced PT's pick apart my reasons for going chiro?

1. equal or arguably less debt than PT school (since my GPA is too low to get into a cheap school)
2. salary reports put chiro salarys in california at around 140,000 where pts land at about 90k
3. If i stick strictly with spinal pain issues and some rehab I feel like I will be respected enough to have a steady stream of referrals

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to base your life's work on the fallacy of the spinal subluxation, and have your business model based upon the dollar bill rather than doing what is best for the patient, go for it. My GPA was lowish too and I got in to PT school.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm surprised to hear that chiro school is less expensive. The ones in my area were more as they were all private (versus I could go to a state school).

I am concerned with your salary figures. I think chiropractors do a fantastic job of covering up their true salaries. We don't earn much as Chiros report on BLS but our job market is good...you can get a job and make an average living just about anyway. And we are up front about what we earn. Chiro....not so much. First, they are all generally independent private practice business owners. The stats for the number of chiros who don't make it out of school are alarming. I personally know 3 chiropractors who are not able to work full time. 1 works part time in his family's restaurant, the other is kinda doing the stay at home mom thing but the reality is she can't get more hours/patients and the last supplements with some home sales business. Like any business, it's tough to start a business and set up your base. In the PT world, we don't have to deal with that right out of school unless we choose to. There are some decent forums, blogs, websites out there regarding chiro salaries and real job outlook. I started reading up on this after I couldn't figure out why my "Dr." (chiro) friend worked fast food so many hours. I think many many don't make it and the salary you see are those who do stay in the field and do ok.

I don't mind chiropractors at all. I think they get into a sticky situation...they are newly out of school, drowning in debt. They grab a few patients off the street and then they are suddenly under immense financial pressure to KEEP those patients as long as possible to keep their doors open. And that's where chiro derails for me. Their business model depends on them keeping those patients and seeing them frequently while they try to build a business. Rarely do you see chiros working together too, they have to compete against each other for clients.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard there are only 3 DC school in CA, no? If so, I would think they are much more competitive than tens of PT schools.?

I heard there are only 3 DC school in CA, no? If so, I would think they are much more competitive than tens of PT schools.?

Nope. If you breathe and qualify for financial aide, you have a really good shot. A few buddies of mine from undergrad went that route after a few years attempting to gain a seat in PT school unsuccessfully.

OP: It really depends on what type of lifestyle that you’re looking for. You def have to focus more on the business acumen for Chiro. The downfall was mentioned: practicing subluxation theory.

Okay here it goes. I have 3.3 gpa and its a bit to low to get into a cheap PT program in California. I've decided to start seriously considering chiro school and have a few reasons for doing so. Can some of you experienced PT's pick apart my reasons for going chiro?

1. equal or arguably less debt than PT school (since my GPA is too low to get into a cheap school)
2. salary reports put chiro salarys in california at around 140,000 where pts land at about 90k
3. If i stick strictly with spinal pain issues and some rehab I feel like I will be respected enough to have a steady stream of referrals
Referrals from who to chiro?

Reactions: 1 user
Referrals from who to chiro?
From other Providers. I would try my best to be evidence based and ignore silly chiropractic theory classes. I would essentially want to work as a PT with the ability to throw in some back crack quackery to generate extra income.

From other Providers. I would try my best to be evidence based and ignore silly chiropractic theory classes. I would essentially want to work as a PT with the ability to throw in some back crack quackery to generate extra income.
I really think you overestimate that physicians are going to be sending you a lot of business as a chiro

Reactions: 2 users
OP, that is one of the problems with Chiro. "essentially practicing as a PT" You don't learn what we learn. The medical knowledge you learn in chiro school really only makes you dangerous. You will not know what you don't know. How many causes of back pain are there? How many of them can you treat? When someone comes in with shoulder pain, will you crack their neck because that is all you know? how about knee pain? dizziness? headaches? then we can start talking about colic in babies, asthma, selling supplements when green beans work better and are less expensive to the patient.

If you try and can't get into PT school, improve your application and try again, that's what I did. if you can't get in then, don't just go into healthcare for the sake of it. Do something else that you are passionate about.

Reactions: 4 users

The likelihood of failing as a chiro is more likely than failing as a PT
PT's aren't salespeople and don't promote junk treatment or science nearly to the level chiro's do
You'll actually be practicing below the scope of your expertise and training, not the opposite as chiro's do

OP, that is one of the problems with Chiro. "essentially practicing as a PT" You don't learn what we learn. The medical knowledge you learn in chiro school really only makes you dangerous. You will not know what you don't know. How many causes of back pain are there? How many of them can you treat? When someone comes in with shoulder pain, will you crack their neck because that is all you know? how about knee pain? dizziness? headaches? then we can start talking about colic in babies, asthma, selling supplements when green beans work better and are less expensive to the patient.

If you try and can't get into PT school, improve your application and try again, that's what I did. if you can't get in then, don't just go into healthcare for the sake of it. Do something else that you are passionate about.
What is your background? You are literally speaking out of your @$$. Chiros are trained to be clinically competent in the ability to manipulate the spine, especially the low back. They are HEAVILY trained in MSK diagnosis (yes even the visceral issues that can present as an MSK problem-which should then be referred out) and are able to differentiate the different etiologies for someone presenting with backpain. You think they just have patients come in and wail on them? Im a licensed chiro and a second year DO student so I have seen both sides. I would strongly suggest that OP does NOT go to chiro school not because they are clinically incompetent in treating low back pain but because it is probably the worst investment you can make in a career. Chiros come out of school with $200K+ in student debt only to make 50K. How the heck do these schools think you are gonna pay off anything and live a comfortable life? One of the reasons I left the profession. If you like MSK, then go to PT school to become a physical therapist or medical school and become a physiatrist or orthopedist.

LMAOO chiros make nothing near 140. You are lucky to get 55K as s chiro

What is your background? You are literally speaking out of your @$$. Chiros are trained to be clinically competent in the ability to manipulate the spine, especially the low back. They are HEAVILY trained in MSK diagnosis (yes even the visceral issues that can present as an MSK problem-which should then be referred out) and are able to differentiate the different etiologies for someone presenting with backpain. You think they just have patients come in and wail on them? Im a licensed chiro and a second year DO student so I have seen both sides. I would strongly suggest that OP does NOT go to chiro school not because they are clinically incompetent in treating low back pain but because it is probably the worst investment you can make in a career. Chiros come out of school with $200K+ in student debt only to make 50K. How the heck do these schools think you are gonna pay off anything and live a comfortable life? One of the reasons I left the profession. If you like MSK, then go to PT school to become a physical therapist or medical school and become a physiatrist or orthopedist.
What they are competently trained to do and what they actually do are different things. My background is athletic training and physical therapy. there are too many chiros that advertise themselves as primary care providers. Since you have gone through and are going through both programs, what are your thoughts on the depth and breadth of knowledge learned in the DC program vs the DO program? It seems to me that there are a lot of blind spots in the DC program based upon what I have seen in my 29 years of practice.

What they are competently trained to do and what they actually do are different things. My background is athletic training and physical therapy. there are too many chiros that advertise themselves as primary care providers. Since you have gone through and are going through both programs, what are your thoughts on the depth and breadth of knowledge learned in the DC program vs the DO program? It seems to me that there are a lot of blind spots in the DC program based upon what I have seen in my 29 years of practice.
I agree there are way too many that advertise services they arent adequately trained to provide. They are nowhere near trained to be able to practice as PCPs (like NOwhere near). This is literally just unsafe. However, based on my experience the training chiros get in MSK (and I mean solely MSK) is just as in depth as I have received in medical school possibly even more in depth. As far as everything else goes (general path, pharm, and all other systems/specialties) med schools blows chiro school out of the water. Med school makes chiro school feel like high school. However, like I said, chiro school training in MSK is seriously well taught and very in depth. if a chiro took his training seriously, then I would not underestimate their competency in MSK.

I don't in MSK, but that's not how the 9 chiros in my town of 5000 people practice. I read anecdotal stories of the same in other nearby towns of the same behavior. IMO, they are often very irresponsible and breed dependence in their patients. They always introduce themselves as "Dr. So and so" and the layperson has no idea the difference in their education.