Pursuing a Masters/PhD during GI Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GILumen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any other 2009-2010 applicants interested in obtaining an advanced degree during fellowship? I thought about some of the combined degree programs for med school and decided against it, but I'm actually excited about being given an opportunity to do it now.

Any current fellows obtaining advanced degrees? Do you feel you made the right decision? What are some factors you would advise we consider prior to ranking the different programs that offer adv. degrees?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am working on a Master's degree now. I have the benefit of being able to have protected time to do it during my clinical fellowship. I am finding it to be a good way to hone skills for becoming a researcher, but that is also the specific design of the particular program/degree I am pursuing.

I think it depends on the degree options you have and your goals. There are many programs that offer a Master's you can finish in a single year. PhD programs are obviously going to be more intense. A MPH degree is widely recognized, but may not be practical for what you want to do. Typically what I hear is that advanced degrees are another boost for academic/administrative jobs, but may not mean much to the average private practice.

Important things to consider in my opinion is just how much support are you given to accomplish the task? Is your degree time protected? It is hard to study for Biostats finals when you are oncall or on consults. Does the program offer research support? Being your own statistician can be time-consuming and frustrating. Are there any other strings attached to the program? Does it add years to your fellowship? And like I said before, does it actually improve your chances of achieving your career goals?

I am working on a Master's degree now. I have the benefit of being able to have protected time to do it during my clinical fellowship. I am finding it to be a good way to hone skills for becoming a researcher, but that is also the specific design of the particular program/degree I am pursuing.

I think it depends on the degree options you have and your goals. There are many programs that offer a Master's you can finish in a single year. PhD programs are obviously going to be more intense. A MPH degree is widely recognized, but may not be practical for what you want to do. Typically what I hear is that advanced degrees are another boost for academic/administrative jobs, but may not mean much to the average private practice.

Important things to consider in my opinion is just how much support are you given to accomplish the task? Is your degree time protected? It is hard to study for Biostats finals when you are oncall or on consults. Does the program offer research support? Being your own statistician can be time-consuming and frustrating. Are there any other strings attached to the program? Does it add years to your fellowship? And like I said before, does it actually improve your chances of achieving your career goals?

Thanks so much DrDave. That was helpful. I will have to ask a lot of questions when I visit. Some websites clearly state that it is 1 extra year protected for a degree while others make it seem like there is flexibility and that they are willing to work with the fellow depending on his/her interest...that can mean a lot of things. Thanks again!