Pulmonary and Critical Care fellowship 2020/2021 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could use some insight into U Florida vs Baylor Houston vs Emory. I know baylor and Emory have bigger names, but I like the collegiality of Florida. Anyone have any extra info on these?

Members don't see this ad.

Could use some insight into U Florida vs Baylor Houston vs Emory. I know baylor and Emory have bigger names, but I like the collegiality of Florida. Anyone have any extra info on these?

I got a good vibe from UF as well. The large number of fellows did make me a little bit wary in terms of having enough procedures to go around, but the folks I spoke to said it wasn't really an issue.

Feeling really torn between my top 3 - Ohio State, Indiana University, and University of Rochester. Anyone have thoughts?

Hi all,

I was wondering if i could get some advice.

I accepted a CCM position earlier this month, however they haven't provided a document to sign to confirm my position which makes me a little nervous. This is opposed to the binding agreement associated with the Match. I am also very interested in Pulm/Crit, and have interviewed with a number of programs, and am now determining whether I should submit my rank list.

Essentially, given I have a CCM position, I feel I should withdraw from the Match. However, the Match is binding and I would prefer to do Pulm/Crit. If i were to go into the Match and match to a program, I would have to decline the CCM position. If i don't match, I then have a back-up CCM program available.

My issue is, if i do match, I feel this would be unfair on the CCM program as they would need to find another resident.

Is anyone else in this position or know anyone who has had this issue?
Hi all,

I was wondering if i could get some advice.

I accepted a CCM position earlier this month, however they haven't provided a document to sign to confirm my position which makes me a little nervous. This is opposed to the binding agreement associated with the Match. I am also very interested in Pulm/Crit, and have interviewed with a number of programs, and am now determining whether I should submit my rank list.

Essentially, given I have a CCM position, I feel I should withdraw from the Match. However, the Match is binding and I would prefer to do Pulm/Crit. If i were to go into the Match and match to a program, I would have to decline the CCM position. If i don't match, I then have a back-up CCM program available.

My issue is, if i do match, I feel this would be unfair on the CCM program as they would need to find another resident.

Is anyone else in this position or know anyone who has had this issue?

I would definitely advise against that! If you didn’t sign anything with the critical care program you can always ask them to sign at least a letter of intent or something else to bind you both to the agreement. Otherwise, if you feel that you want and you will be happier doing pulmonary & critical care, you should decline the critical care position and submit your list to the match ( A small note, the match is very competitive and don’t forget A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush).

Please, don’t go for the match and also keep the critical care position because if you match this will complicate things for you, the program and some other applicant who’s his whole career might depend on this. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give some insight about Uni of Florida and Uni of South Florida?
Confused between the 2

One is in Tampa and the other is in Gainesville. Both Florida tho

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys!
I appreciate it if anyone can provide some insight to Henry Ford vs UC Irvine. looking for good clinical and procedural training.

Henry Ford the Pccm fellows give up procedures to the IP fellow. The IP fellowship is very robust there.

UCI doesn’t have an IP fellowship - so when you’re on consults or procedure rotation you do all the perc trach, bard/pleurx, ebus, enb, etc

UCI - very clinical. Only recently has research become a priority. No transplant.
Recent hire of a PH guy from
USC, gen Pccm from cedars, and IP grad from CO.

USC - 21 fellows. Very clinical. Has transplant, PH, and hired Maher for ILD. Starting IP fellowship this year.

The more research oriented programs are UCLA, cedars, UCSD.

Any insight on these programs please.

1. University of Kentucky
2. Medical College of Wisconsin
3. University of Nebraska
4. Virginia tech, Carilion Clinic
5. DMC Wayne State
6. West Virginia University

Hello Guys I am an IM resident at a Community Hospital, IMG, and need no visa.
I don't have any publications, except for 6 ACP posters.
I see that it's very tough to get into Pulm Crit without connections and research background.
How do I increase my chances to match into a Pulm Crit prog? what is ur suggestion for Sleep medicine fellowship first.
Does sleep medicine fellowship increase my chances of getting into Pulm-crit?

thanks!

Adding another post about rank list help. Leaning towards academics and want strong clinical training. Interested mainly in PH but possibly transplant (no exposure in residency). Family is in California but I dont have a real regional preference as long as fellowship training allows for portability. I do not do well in cold weather though. How important is it that pulm manages pulmonary hypertension? Heres my preliminary rank list:

1. Cedars Sinai- felt less academic than I would have liked
2. MUSC- concern about lack of national reputation not opening doors, Charleston > Gainesville
3. UF- same concern about lack of national rep
4. Mayo rochester - concern about autonomy, weather, suit budget; reputation biggest plus but should it trump potentially being miserable 9 months of the year for 3 years?
5. UAB- cards manages PH. Otherwise very impressive
6. VCU -no transplant, thinking about living in Richmond long term
7. LSU- most fellows go PP, highly recommended from friend who is a resident there
8. Cincinnati- no transplant, good gut feeling during interview for what thats worth
9. UVA- concern regarding rigor of clinical training in ICU, seems more pulm research focused; charlottesville a great place to live
10. Georgetown - seems less academic than what I prefer, no nightfloat; great personable faculty
11. Wake forest- no transplant, not a huge fan of Winston Salem
12. USC - too clinically rigorous, research largely done on own time, would be much higher up if I wanted to do PP for certain, points for location
13. Loma Linda - not as academic as I would like to edge higher programs, not a fan of inland empire
14. Iowa, down here mainly because of weather/location which is unfortunate because its otherwise a great program
15. UT houston- similar feel to USC in terms of clinical rigor though better research opportunities with pairing with MD Anderson. LA>Houston imo

Im not committed to this rank list by any means so feel free to point out the (many) errors in my ways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many times Henry Ford is going to send me a rejection. I’m at 14 right now.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Adding another post about rank list help. Leaning towards academics and want strong clinical training. Interested mainly in PH but possibly transplant (no exposure in residency). Family is in California but I dont have a real regional preference as long as fellowship training allows for portability. I do not do well in cold weather though. How important is it that pulm manages pulmonary hypertension? Heres my preliminary rank list:

1. Cedars Sinai- felt less academic than I would have liked
2. MUSC- concern about lack of national reputation not opening doors, Charleston > Gainesville
3. UF- same concern about lack of national rep
4. Mayo rochester - concern about autonomy, weather, suit budget; reputation biggest plus but should it trump potentially being miserable 9 months of the year for 3 years?
5. UAB- cards manages PH. Otherwise very impressive
6. VCU -no transplant, thinking about living in Richmond long term
7. LSU- most fellows go PP, highly recommended from friend who is a resident there
8. Cincinnati- no transplant, good gut feeling during interview for what thats worth
9. UVA- concern regarding rigor of clinical training in ICU, seems more pulm research focused; charlottesville a great place to live
10. Georgetown - seems less academic than what I prefer, no nightfloat; great personable faculty
11. Wake forest- no transplant, not a huge fan of Winston Salem
12. USC - too clinically rigorous, research largely done on own time, would be much higher up if I wanted to do PP for certain, points for location
13. Loma Linda - not as academic as I would like to edge higher programs, not a fan of inland empire
14. Iowa, down here mainly because of weather/location which is unfortunate because its otherwise a great program
15. UT houston- similar feel to USC in terms of clinical rigor though better research opportunities with pairing with MD Anderson. LA>Houston imo

Im not committed to this rank list by any means so feel free to point out the (many) errors in my ways.

I met with my home PD yesterday. He trained at UPMC and has been in the field for like 40 years now. He actually told me that UF has a good national reputation, apparently a lot of forms of intermittent mandatory ventilation were pioneered at Shands back in the day. I don't know if that reputation is still as solid today but UF does have a national name.

I really liked VCU and Richmond. I don't have too much other insight but I got a really good gut feeling.

You have some solid places on your list! Congrats!

If someone trains in a crit only program , do they have to do the whole 3 yrs if they match in a pccm program once they have completed the critical care training?

looking for insight on Cornell vs Columbia vs Mt. Sinai vs NYU. Interested in academic medicine. Thanks!

Would people be willing to add to the google sheets the following:
MD/DO/IMG
How many invites
How many interviews attended
Completed a chief year?

If someone trains in a crit only program , do they have to do the whole 3 yrs if they match in a pccm program once they have completed the critical care training?
Nope. Two separate pathways. If you match at a PCCM program, you can't piecemeal together a CCM experience over two years because you have pulm sprinkled in.

Oklahoma University vs Loyola University vs University of Mississippi
what are your thoughts in ranking these, Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hello need help ranking these programs. I noted them down in the order I interviewed there. I m looking for a program with strong clinical training, opportunities to develop as a clinical researcher with an academic job in the future . Thanks for the help

1. USC - LA
2. Georgetown university hospital - Washington D.C.
3. University of Maryland
4. Medical university of South Carolina
5. University of Florida
6. Ohio state
7. Loyola
8. Case western
9. Mount sinai Morningside/Beth Israel
10. Thomas Jefferson
11. VCU
12. Henry Ford

Hello need help ranking these programs. I noted them down in the order I interviewed there. I m looking for a program with strong clinical training, opportunities to develop as a clinical researcher with an academic job in the future . Thanks for the help

1. USC - LA
2. Georgetown university hospital - Washington D.C.
3. University of Maryland
4. Medical university of South Carolina
5. University of Florida
6. Ohio state
7. Loyola
8. Case western
9. Mount sinai Morningside/Beth Israel
10. Thomas Jefferson
11. VCU
12. Henry Ford
All I can say is that Southern California has next to no research time and is busy AF. So if research is important for you, I’d think it’d be lower on your list.

Having a hard time deciding between UT Houston, UT San Antonio, and Baylor Dallas. Can anyone help explain the differences in training and future job prospects? Interested in clinical and academic training, not in research.

Thank you

Does any one remember if Wake Forest was against post-interview communications?

I'm currently at UF. I can speak to their program. UF has strong specialties and a very strong name for fellowships across the board, without question pulm crit care is our strongest specialty. Pulmonary specialties are all very strong. MICU at UF is very large and maximally complex. It stacks up well with other rigorous university ICU setups. The VA occupies a lot of the training time and has a night coverage rotation. Procedures such as EBUS and navigational can be problematic for some fellows and this is combined issue of too many fellows and having IP fellow. Overall very strong program and academic system.

Any inputs on Baylor Dallas vs UT San Antonio?

Hey guys,
Does anyone have any input at all about Larkin community hospital ( Miami) pulmonary , critical care programs?.

The website doesn’t provide any info. The interview didn’t give much insight either.

thank you In advance!

Any thoughts about Rochester vs Yale. Both programs seem amazing to me. Not sure about PP vs academics for after fellowship. Having a hard time differentiating the two. Yale seems to have more research focus/opportunity but clinically they seem comparable.

Doubt a PCCM program would interview/rank someone who already completed a critical care fellowship, but if they did I would assume they would require you to complete the entire 3 year fellowship.

there are 2 year pulm only fellowships (15-20 I think the last I looked a few years ago) that you could apply to.

the better order if you were going to split up the pulm and critical care fellowships would be to do pulm first, then you would only have to do a 1 year critical care fellowship to be board eligible.

Longtime lurker here. I'm an IMG on a visa (J1), training in IM at a community hospital in NJ and a PCCM aspirant.
Just wanted inputs from the seniors and colleagues here on ranking before finalizing.
I'm looking for a strong clinical training with some research experience thrown in. I'm also considering further training down the line in Interventional Pulmonology.

Programs:
George Washington University
UNebraska
UMinnesota
Tulane University
UArkansas
CWRU Metrohealth Cleveland
Rutgers NJMS Newark
SUNY Upstate
UTMB Galveston
Rutgers RWJMS New Brunswick
Marshall University
New York Presbyterian at Queens.

Any inputs are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Longtime lurker here. I'm an IMG on a visa (J1), training in IM at a community hospital in NJ and a PCCM aspirant.
Just wanted inputs from the seniors and colleagues here on ranking before finalizing.
I'm looking for a strong clinical training with some research experience thrown in. I'm also considering further training down the line in Interventional Pulmonology.

Programs:
UNebraska
UMinnesota
Tulane University
UArkansas
Rutgers NJMS Newark
SUNY Upstate
UTMB Galveston
Marshall University

Any inputs are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

I don't know alot of these programs but Rutgers RWJ seemed to have negative comments on that fellowship sheets doc that was posted earlier in this thread.

"the IP attending was incredibly blunt to an unprofessional level which might jive with some but I would not be happy or comfortable working with faculty like that. he mentioned how protected fellows were and were lazy, often don't show to clinic. general politics in NJ/Rutgers is not great with a lot of privates/apps integrated into the hospital (the one year APP critical care 'fellowship' pays more than an actual acgme fellowship) <-- that's terrible! Wonder if you also have to fight the APPs for procedures when they're there? <--from what I heard from the fellows they have enough volume they want to give it away esp for the basic lines. their micu census was two teams of 15-20 with team of 2 res/2interns."

I don't know alot of these programs but Rutgers RWJ seemed to have negative comments on that fellowship sheets doc that was posted earlier in this thread.

"the IP attending was incredibly blunt to an unprofessional level which might jive with some but I would not be happy or comfortable working with faculty like that. he mentioned how protected fellows were and were lazy, often don't show to clinic. general politics in NJ/Rutgers is not great with a lot of privates/apps integrated into the hospital (the one year APP critical care 'fellowship' pays more than an actual acgme fellowship) <-- that's terrible! Wonder if you also have to fight the APPs for procedures when they're there? <--from what I heard from the fellows they have enough volume they want to give it away esp for the basic lines. their micu census was two teams of 15-20 with team of 2 res/2interns."

Here's the link:

Thank you for your inputs.
I'm actually aware of the program quite a bit and think that its slightly misspoken.
I actually liked the interview. I'm not sure if I was interviewed by the same faculty, but the ones I interacted with were nice people.
Just keeping it lower down because I thought the other programs were better in terms of exposure.
As a matter of fact though, APPs are becoming a problem everywhere and creating issues. You just can't compare the experience and exposure of an MD with residency and fellowship training to an APP with fast-tracked training coming from a non-medical/allied field.

Hey guys,
Does anyone have any input at all about Larkin community hospital ( Miami) pulmonary , critical care programs?.

The website doesn’t provide any info. The interview didn’t give much insight either.

thank you In advance!

I interviewed there as well. I think I may remove them from my rank list. As you said no info on the website. Interviewed by two fellows, no faculty at the interview. I have no idea who the faculty even is. No structure to the program. Yet somehow they will take 4 pulm crit and 4 pulm fellows more than most big name universities. Something is fishy there.

Thank you for your inputs.
I'm actually aware of the program quite a bit and think that its slightly misspoken.
I actually liked the interview. I'm not sure if I was interviewed by the same faculty, but the ones I interacted with were nice people.
Just keeping it lower down because I thought the other programs were better in terms of exposure.
As a matter of fact though, APPs are becoming a problem everywhere and creating issues. You just can't compare the experience and exposure of an MD with residency and fellowship training to an APP with fast-tracked training coming from a non-medical/allied field.

Mmmk! Glad you had a better experience. I didn't interview there or anything but do you mind clarifying why it's only "slightly misspoken"? Because that's not that reassuring lol

1000%. The fact that people try to compare is ridiculous.

Mmmk! Glad you had a better experience. I didn't interview there or anything but do you mind clarifying why it's only "slightly misspoken"? Because that's not that reassuring lol

1000%. The fact that people try to compare is ridiculous.
It’s related to your expectations and how your experience is during interview. Your mileage may vary. It’s just my opinion, I felt they’re okay but not great. I was also helped as I’ve been to the program in passing and have heard good things about them in my residency program. That’s why. I’ve no other explanations.
I guess if somebody felt bad, there must be some substance to it.

I interviewed there as well. I think I may remove them from my rank list. As you said no info on the website. Interviewed by two fellows, no faculty at the interview. I have no idea who the faculty even is. No structure to the program. Yet somehow they will take 4 pulm crit and 4 pulm fellows more than most big name universities. Something is fishy there.

Absolutely, the fact they have a critical care program, a pulm program and a pulm/ crit program ( and each of them taking 4 fellows for such a small hospital) was def weird. I just am unsure how ACGME accredited that.

Reactions: 1 users
Just sent a "you're my number 1" email and the PDs response was something akin to "thanks for the info". My chances there are not looking amazing but oh well. Two weeks of anxiety left!

Any Last Minute Input on Top 4
1- Temple
2- UVA
3- Loyola
4- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital

as Top 4 any change in order

This is nerve-racking. Wish there was a way to know lol

Reactions: 3 users

Programs:
UNebraska
UMinnesota
Tulane University
UArkansas
Rutgers NJMS Newark
SUNY Upstate
UTMB Galveston
Marshall University

Any inputs are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Minnesota is only one with IP

Is there a way to find the unfilled sleep positions?