Pulm/CC Fellowship Application 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have ranked and certified the three programs that I interviewed at.

The match status says - "Match Status: CERTIFIED ROL"..

Is there anything else I have to do other than wait till 6/16?

I applied to 91 programs ( PCCM + PD + CCM).. Got 3 interviews. IMG - Community hospital in NYC area.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have ranked and certified the three programs that I interviewed at.

The match status says - "Match Status: CERTIFIED ROL"..

Is there anything else I have to do other than wait till 6/16?

I would continue 1) eating, 2) wearing clothing, and 3) not breaking the law . . . but that's just me. I try and play it safe.

Ok, seriously . . . I don't think so. We've already commented on letting #1 know they are #1 - many PDs take that with a grain of salt, but might help.

I was surprised at how much weight my letters of recommendation had on my application. I had multiple people remark on them and a couple of PD's even said that 1 letter was the reason I got the interview.

I was also surprised that no one really cared about my lack of research.

Yup. Most places commented on my letters. Having research was nice because it gave us something to talk about. I think mostly they were just seeing if I was a cool guy.

Nice. Were these letters from your attendings on gen med floors/electives, or from the PD of IM/PD of subspecialty/Chair?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice. Were these letters from your attendings on gen med floors/electives, or from the PD of IM/PD of subspecialty/Chair?

You'll need a letter from your PD (who will be whatever speciality he/she is), which is kind of like the fellowship equivalent of the "Dean's Letter", and three other letters from staff. I used the Chief of Pulmonary who is also the ICU director at my institution, a letter from one of the clinical faculty in Pulm/CC who is also assoc PD of IM, and a letter from my home Pulm/CC PD who was also my research mentor.

If you're doing research, I'd def make sure you had a letter from that person even if they are not necessarily clinical faculty, for instance lets say you get involved with one of the PhDs in the Pulmonary Division, get a letter from that guy. Although, basic science will be pretty hard to do in residency.

Guys, I interviewed for hem/onc. Just wanted to hear what you guys have to say about the question that posted on hem/onc fellowship thread.

Is it safe to notify the programs that you like the most that I will be ranking them higher. Does it change anything for better or worse?????????

@ stem cell. I do not think that there is any harm in telling the program that you like them. As few people mentioned above programs want to take candidates that want to go there.

Hey guys I am new to this forum and I request your help. I interviewed at more than a dozen places but I am very confused about the rank order list.

These are a few programs where I interviewed at-

1- Ohio state
2- Cincinnati
3- Utah
4- Wake forest
5- Vermont
6- Tulane
7- LSU- Shreveport
8- Texas A and M
9- UMDNJ camden

All your help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

@ stem cell. I do not think that there is any harm in telling the program that you like them. As few people mentioned above programs want to take candidates that want to go there.

Hey guys I am new to this forum and I request your help. I interviewed at more than a dozen places but I am very confused about the rank order list.

These are a few programs where I interviewed at-

1- Ohio state
2- Cincinnati
3- Utah
4- Wake forest
5- Vermont
6- Tulane
7- LSU- Shreveport
8- Texas A and M
9- UMDNJ camden

All your help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Making rank lists are much more personal when it comes to fellowship in my opinion than when attempting to find residency. The question is where did YOU like it the best, and which programs will support your career goals.

For instance on that list A&M has monster critical care, you'd come out of that program a Unit animal, their pulm is solid, though not impressively standout, they lack any real basic science research, and no chances for a 4th year. On the other hand Wake is more of an "old school" gentleman's pulmonologist program, a USN&WR top 20 place, LOTS of basic science research especially with regards to asthma genomics, and the chance for a 4th year on a training grant, the ICU is tertiary referral, but nothing like the monster that you have at A&M.

So what do you want to do? That's the question. Stay in academics? Doing what research? Basic science or clinical? Or would you rather be a clinical faculty? Do you want private practice?

So you need to decide what you want, where you want to live (if that is important - Vermont is gorgeous), and which programs felt best to you.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Resident MD:

So my letters that got the most comments were my PD letter and the LOR from the director of my ICU. The others were strong but did not raise comments.

Random Obsessive Questions:

1.) For those of you that sent thank you emails to programs, how many of you got replies? I know this was addressed previously, but I think now is a good time to readdress this

2.) For those of you that sent programs followup emails regarding ranking, how many got responses from program directors?

3.) If you got a response from a PD, what was the message like? Did you feel it was generic or personable?

4.) Has anyone gotten feedback from attendings calling/emailing on your behalfs? If so, what was the feedback?

5.) Has anyone attempted to e-mail a PD & he/she wouldn't reply to you, but would reply to the people supporting you?

6.) Has any program been willing to go out on a limb & tell an applicant that they really liked them OUTSIDE of the interview & tell them that they were going to be ranked highly?

Random Obsessive Questions:

1.) For those of you that sent thank you emails to programs, how many of you got replies? I know this was addressed previously, but I think now is a good time to readdress this

2.) For those of you that sent programs followup emails regarding ranking, how many got responses from program directors?

3.) If you got a response from a PD, what was the message like? Did you feel it was generic or personable?

4.) Has anyone gotten feedback from attendings calling/emailing on your behalfs? If so, what was the feedback?

5.) Has anyone attempted to e-mail a PD & he/she wouldn't reply to you, but would reply to the people supporting you?

6.) Has any program been willing to go out on a limb & tell an applicant that they really liked them OUTSIDE of the interview & tell them that they were going to be ranked highly?

1. I sent thank you cards, but no replies to cards specifically. Any time I have a program related question I got a response.

2. I got one response, and I sent one email to my number 1 saying as much, and to the rest of my top four saying I liked them and would be ranking them high.

3. The message I did get back was generic but friendly. It was positive I thought.

4. I have not asked an attending to email or call for me

5. You've got to remember that PDs have to be very careful about what they say this time of year. Some people think they are saying things they are not, so it's best to just remain silent. Futhermore, if a big enough deal was made that NRMP got involved and investigated and didn't like what was said, then that program could be in trouble.

6. I have had a few programs tell me they really liked me and thought I was a very competitive candidate - nothing about being "ranked highly". But I'm cynic, and they could be saying to this everyone. I'm sure I'm as cyncial about them as they are about me and my messages, given all the liars. So . . . I view their messages the same way I'm sure they view mine, it was nice, but we'll see come match day :D

Folks,

I am wondering if any one has been offered a pre-match from university programs?

jdh71 thank you very much for your answer. I understand what you mean. My current priority is just the training that too clinical. By that I mean that I want to have the best clinical training. Any thoughts about Vermont and Utah?? Any one please??

jdh71 thank you very much for your answer. I understand what you mean. My current priority is just the training that too clinical. By that I mean that I want to have the best clinical training. Any thoughts about Vermont and Utah?? Any one please??

Someone likes the mountains methinks . . .

Again, ask yourself which would give you clinical training you are looking for.

I like 'em both. Utah's closer to my usual part of the world and has the big airport, so it wins by a hair.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn. I still have yet to certify. 2&3 just keep moving around on my, back and forth, back and forth, and it's a bigger deal to me because I give my chances at my number one to be . . . 50/50 at best (I don't know if that's pessimistic or realistic . . . prepare for the worst, hope for the best and all of that) . . . then what to do with the rest of the list . . . #4 like #1 is solidly in place . . . #5 and #6 are more laid back types of University programs, and I think they're finally set (hey, if I can't have all of the research I want, why can't fellowship be a pleasant experience?) . . . #s 7, 8, 9, are clinically solid programs without much in the way of research, but they're bouncing around (do these even really matter? It seems like this year is a bumper year, so, while I think the stats say I probably won't match this low, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that I do . . . which is why I'm stressing a little about it [perfectionist]) . . . 10 and 11 are solidly in place, bad vibe and bad location, respectively.

Thank you for humoring my free association. Good luck to everyone.

Program director called me and told me that they finalized a ROL and they have ranked me highly.Do you think they tell this thing to all the applicants they rank or what ?I was really excited when he called.....
What do guys thing about these phone callls??Does it mean that there is much chance to match at that program after a phone call??

Program director called me and told me that they finalized a ROL and they have ranked me highly.Do you think they tell this thing to all the applicants they rank or what ?I was really excited when he called.....
What do guys thing about these phone callls??Does it mean that there is much chance to match at that program after a phone call??

A personal phone call seems promising

I'm still a cynic, but hope you get it anyway. The only way to know for sure, will be the match results.

Originally Posted by PCCM45

I think if you received a call from a PD, that is very promising. Why would they mislead you. There's no need to be cynical about that. Why would they waste their time calling people if they are not truly interested in you. I agree, I think it positive.

I think if you received a call from a PD, that is very promising. Why would they mislead you. There's no need to be cynical about that. Why would they waste their time calling people if they are not truly interested in you. I agree, I think it positive.

I don't think that it takes up too much time to make a quick phone call. A PD might tell everyone they ranked that they were "ranked" highly in the same way that some candidates tell every single program they will be ranking them very high. The only reason I am a cynic is that I've been around SDN long enough to hear the stories by people who thought they were being told that they were going to be ranked to match, and come match day, they did not match at that program (one person even mentioned they saw the program UNFILLED on the scramble list!!).

I guess I'm just the kind of person that tends to take people at face value and have been burned by that in the past (not necessarily with the match process, but in life, in general), and all I am trying to do is project a little bit of reality into the situation to hopefully prevent any serious hurt.

It's like the old saying goes: "Money talks and bull**** walks" . . . the match results will be the only real telling interaction.

Thx guys for your input .
Hope we all match!!
lets get our fingers crossed
Good luck to all of you

Did anyone of you use or will use or know someone who used the Findaresident website to find fellowship positions? Is it any good?

I am just trying to figure what my options would be to get into a fellowship if I don't match on 6/16....

Did anyone of you use or will use or know someone who used the Findaresident website to find fellowship positions? Is it any good?

I am just trying to figure what my options would be to get into a fellowship if I don't match on 6/16....

there's a fellowship scramble

if you signed up with NRMP you will have access to their list of unfilled position in the medical specialties match

What's the process once we get access to the list of unfilled programs.. Do we just fax/email? or can we apply through ERAS? What's confusing is the close-out email from ERAS that they will close on June 1st for the season..

We have access to the application, personal statement, USMLE transcripts. But how about letters of recommendation? I just want to be prepared and have a gameplan for 6/16 incase I don't match..

What's the process once we get access to the list of unfilled programs.. Do we just fax/email? or can we apply through ERAS? What's confusing is the close-out email from ERAS that they will close on June 1st for the season..

We have access to the application, personal statement, USMLE transcripts. But how about letters of recommendation? I just want to be prepared and have a gameplan for 6/16 incase I don't match..

Be ready to fax and phone. I wouldn't rely on email.

I'd print off everything on ERAS and have it ready to go (in the future they are attempting to make this process more orderly and as I understand it actually run a new scramble match of soemthing like that, but for now it is what it is). Make your you talk to people directly. Make sure you have access to both a cell phone and a land line in case you run out of batteries or lose signal.

If you don't match, as I understand it, you'll get an email detailing the scramble. Here's to hoping you don't have to do any of that.

Last edited:
Thanks JDH71. I really appreciate your help. I am hoping that I don't have to do all this. But with only three programs on my rank list it is better to be prepared for the worst.

I think I am getting certifying jitters. I am concerned that my number three is not right. This is crazy. I certified my list weeks ago and now I am having second thoughts. Is this normal? Should I just leave everything as it is or rethink it? I feel like any decision I would make now will not be As well thought out as it was a month ago. Is any one else having last minute jitters?

I think I am getting certifying jitters. I am concerned that my number three is not right. This is crazy. I certified my list weeks ago and now I am having second thoughts. Is this normal? Should I just leave everything as it is or rethink it? I feel like any decision I would make now will not be As well thought out as it was a month ago. Is any one else having last minute jitters?

I would think that unless you found out some new information your first certify will probably be the best. It's like when you change a test answer, studies have shown that unless you picked up new information, you change the answer to wrong more often than would be expected by chance alone.

Yeah I think you are right. I decided to leave everything as it is. Hopefully I get my one or two rank and all this freaking out will be for nothing. June 16th can't come fast enough! I am going crazy with all this waiting!!!

If you have already certified your list, can you still change it as long as it is before the deadline?

I heard that NBIM, Newark is starting 24hrs on call for PCCM fellows...aorund the clock...avoid if you can

Did anyone receive any email reply or phone calls from temple?
I did not receive any.Just wondering to know if they are not responding to everyone else or only me?
thx for input guys.

hi guys
any thoughts on university of iowa. confused as to where to rank it. wanted to get a group consensus on the reputation of the school and the program. it is one of the top 4 i am considering. but given that all of them are reasonably good i am confused.
for now i do have a personal opinion on the programs but trying to get a group consensus, if any one interested in sharing their thoughts i would really appreciate.
thanks in advance

any last minute thoughts? I need serious help....

1- tulane vs vermont
2- Kansas University Vs Texas A and M

Please tell me based on program reputation.... I do not care about the place/city.

Please help guys.....

Thanks a ton in advance

hi guys
any thoughts on university of iowa. confused as to where to rank it. wanted to get a group consensus on the reputation of the school and the program. it is one of the top 4 i am considering. but given that all of them are reasonably good i am confused.
for now i do have a personal opinion on the programs but trying to get a group consensus, if any one interested in sharing their thoughts i would really appreciate.
thanks in advance

If I were you,it would place it in my top choice.But it depends what other programs you have on your list.
What I know is that its a great academic comprehensive trainign program

hi guys
thanks in advance

Very well respected. Nice ICU and Pulm. GREAT research opportunities.

any last minute thoughts? I need serious help....

1- tulane vs vermont
2- Kansas University Vs Texas A and M

Please tell me based on program reputation.... I do not care about the place/city.

Please help guys.....

Thanks a ton in advance

Reputation? For KU and A&M really anout equal if you ask me. The Pulm's probably better at KU and the CC at A&M

Tulane probably about the same as vermont as well, maybe vermont by a little bit above.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for each other & hopefully everything works out for the best! Good Luck Everybody!!! :):xf::):xf::)

this forum has helped me a lot when I was stressed out to the core. Hope everybody matches where they want. Good luck.

So I think this is cruel an unusual punishment! The rank lists are in. Why for the love of god does it take 2 weeks to run an algorithm on a computer?!!! I bet it spits our the results in 10 minutes. What the hell are they doing?

Sorry. Just anxious.

Vjwdo

June 16 will decide what will be my medical journey in upcoming years.It will clafiry whether I will be searching hospitalist job or not.
I am getting my fingers crossed for match results.:xf:
Good luck to all of us.
Pls post whr u guys all matched..
Cheer up for now!!:p:laugh::smuggrin::scared:

So it is official. We are at T-10 days and counting till match day!!! I am dying from suspense! The days are crawling by and I can do nothing but wait. The sad part is that they probably already have the results and are just going through like quality checks or something to make sure that everything ran right.

Totally agree with you (VJWDO). Why wouldn't they have run the system already? The suspense is terrific in so many ways!!! But, I feel as though the time is going to fly by rather than crawl. Nonetheless, I'm getting palpitations just thinking about it!!!

Lets stay busy & positive
:luck::luck::luck:
:xf::xf::xf:
:):):):)

OH MY GOD!!!! We only have 6 days left!!!!!:scared:

I am having crazy dreams that I matched and I realize it is just a dream and then I get all sad and unhappy.

This is frickin insanity!!

VJWDO:luck::xf: