PT - UMD, Pitt, OSU, Northwestern...What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGettier

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently submitted my PTCAS application and I'm taking the GRE tomorrow.

I've applied to University of Maryland, University of Pittsburgh, Northwestern, Ohio State University, West Virginia University, University of Delaware, and Arcadia.

Maryland is my number one choice since I am from Maryland.

I have a cumulative GPA of 3.819 which will go up after this semester for sure. Last semester will be very easy. I've completed 285 PT observation hours among 3 different clinics, but they are all outpatient. My sciences GPA is very good as well. Only B's I have gotten are in chemistry and exercise physiology. I am pretty worried about the GRE though. Mainly just the reading comprehension portion. Feel pretty good about everything else, but I'm going to be honest and say my overall GRE score probably won't be very good. I'm confident as hell in my self but just being honest here. But I have also heard that GRE isn't taken into consideration that much since it's pretty much just required. But still, a better score will only help my chances. So what do you guys think my chances are given my hours, GPA, and schools I'm applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is pretty solid and you're in-state, I think you'll definitely get into Maryland and have a good shot at WVU and Arcadia. For Pitt, Delaware, and Northwestern it might depend on your GRE scores and OSU might be tough considering how few out-of-state students they admit. I recommend getting more hours at an SNF or inpatient hospital. Good luck on your GRE!

Your GPA is pretty solid and you're in-state, I think you'll definitely get into Maryland and have a good shot at WVU and Arcadia. For Pitt, Delaware, and Northwestern it might depend on your GRE scores and OSU might be tough considering how few out-of-state students they admit. I recommend getting more hours at an SNF or inpatient hospital. Good luck on your GRE!

Thanks for the response. Yeah I really wish I would have gotten some inpatient hours. I have heard that about OSU but someone also told me I actually have a solid chance simply for being a guy and them wanting more guys in the program since there are already lots of females. I go to WVU for undergrad so that might help me get into there but really after 4 years here I'd rather go somewhere else. But they also accept very few out of state students.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you guys say are solid GRE scores to get into these programs? Just got my scores yesterday. Didn't do as bad as I thought.

For Ohio State, it says the average for verbal and quantitative is 155 so 310 total with a 4 on the writing. I'm not too far off those numbers at all.

Edit: Never mind, just looked up all the averages on PTCAS website.

Last edited:
MGettier,
I've applied to University of Maryland, University of Pittsburgh, Arcadia, UNC, Duke, VCU. Since you are most interest in UMD I will dilate upon that. I recently interview with UMD last week and have been accepted. My credentials are 3.8 cumulative GPA and a 3.65 prereq GPA. My upper level class GPA (excluding freshman year) is a 3.93 (programs look at this). In addition, my GRE scores were V: 154 and Q: 156. I have 165 observation hours in three different settings (acute, outpatient, and skilled nursing). Overall, I cannot really speak upon what exactly they are looking for, but I hope I have provided some insight. Good luck!

MGettier,
I've applied to University of Maryland, University of Pittsburgh, Arcadia, UNC, Duke, VCU. Since you are most interest in UMD I will dilate upon that. I recently interview with UMD last week and have been accepted. My credentials are 3.8 cumulative GPA and a 3.65 prereq GPA. My upper level class GPA (excluding freshman year) is a 3.93 (programs look at this). In addition, my GRE scores were V: 154 and Q: 156. I have 165 observation hours in three different settings (acute, outpatient, and skilled nursing). Overall, I cannot really speak upon what exactly they are looking for, but I hope I have provided some insight. Good luck!
Are you in state? And if you already found out you got accepted I'm assuming you applied for early decision? It's weird how much it can vary among the students that get accepted. I saw one girl post in another thread saying she got in with a 3.5 cumulative and I know a guy that got in with a 3.5 as well but that was almost 10 years ago. Well my GPA is solid, GRE scores not so much but not too bad either, and hopefully my 285 hours and being in state help me.