PRS Independent Match 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlayliev

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just getting this started for this year's SF Match...
We can post questions/concerns/updates here :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for starting the thread, looking forward to meeting all the applicants this year. Quick question about the FCVS. How long does it usually take for them to verify all the info and forward the credentials verification to SF Match?
Thanks
Nick

Thanks for starting the thread, looking forward to meeting all the applicants this year. Quick question about the FCVS. How long does it usually take for them to verify all the info and forward the credentials verification to SF Match?
Thanks
Nick

From my experience and a couple of others I know- about 2-3 months (from the time you submit your paperwork).
This is variable though because a lot is dependent on how quickly your residency program/medical school gets the forms done correctly and sent. I found that it does help to call FCVS periodically and check on the status & express importance of expediting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's get this thread more active!
Called SF Match, they said 127 registered applicants so far.

Anyone know when the first interview invitations start rolling out?

Hi everyone, Thanks for starting this thread. I hope it will be helpful for all of us.
Does anyone know someone who applied before and didn't get any interviews?
Is it really only 167 applicants only registered? Does anyone know how many positions are available. I know that there are 56 programs..

Thanks
Keep posting

when should we expect interview invitations? any ideas

Did anyone hear what is the most important thing on the application for getting interviews? Any IMGs applying?

Just a little info from the SF Match Website. 56 programs, 95 positions.

U Alabama – Birmingham (2)
Mayo Clinic Arizona (1)
U California – Davis (1)
U California – LA (3)
U California - San Diego (1)
USC Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (1)
Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery Institute (1)
University of Colorado (1)
U Florida – Gainesville (1)
Cleveland Clinic Florida (2)
U Miami (3)
Emory University (3)
Georgia Health Sciences University (2)
Rush Medical Center (1)
U Illinois – Chicago (2)
Loyola U / Hines VA Hosp. (1)
Indiana University (2)
U Louisville (2)
LSU - New Orleans (2)
Tulane University (2)
Harvard MS (3)
Lahey Clinic (2)
Johns Hopkins/ U. of Maryland (2)
Wayne State University (1)
Henry Ford Hospital Plastic & Reconstructive Surg. (1)
U Minnesota - Mpls. (2)
Mayo School of Graduate Med Edu (4)
U Mississippi (2)
U North Carolina Plastic Surgery (2)
Duke University (3)
U Nebraska (1)
Dartmouth-Hitchcock MC (1)
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University:CUH PRGM (1)
Albany Medical College (1)
Nassau County MC – NY (2)
A. Einstein / Montefiore (2)
New York Presby Hospital (0)?
New York University MC (1)
Summa Health – Akron (2)
U Cincinnati (1)
Cleveland Clinic Foundation (1)
OSU Plastic Surgery Independent Residency Program (1)
Temple U – Philadelphia (2)
U Pittsburgh (2)
U. of Pennsylvania Div. of Plastic Surgery (1)
McGill University (1)
Med U South Carolina (2)
U Tennessee – Chattanooga (2)
U Tennessee – Memphis (2)
Vanderbilt University (3)
UT Southwestern – Dallas (2)
U Texas - San Antonio (2)
University of Texas at Houston (2)
Methodist Hsptl (Houston) (2)
U Utah (1)
U Virginia (1)

Cornell is not offering a spot this year.
So it's 55 programs, 95 spots.

Last edited:
I've heard from Univ. of Miss. and Tennessee.
As in previous years, let's list notification date and interview dates.
Anyone hear from other programs? Seems that last year, interviews came in Dec./January.

U Mississippi (10/8): 2/8, 3/15
U Tennessee- Chattanooga (10/15): 2/15, 3/15

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear what is the most important thing on the application for getting interviews? Any IMGs applying?

Speaking for my program, your USMLEs and ABSITEs have to be above a certain number (and I'm sure that this is different at different programs). If you're below, your folder goes in the "might possibly look at it again" stack.

If the numbers are good, you have a publication or have at least presented something somewhere, and you're letters are good, you get put on the interview list. If the list gets enough people on it, the "possibles" become rejects. If they get another look, then it's the same thing.....research, presentations, letters.

As a preference, we generally do not interview IMGs but some other programs probably do.

Any thought on poor usmle but good ABSITE? I did horrible( no failures) on usmle but have made a strong effort with good outcomes in ABSITE . I should have very strong letters as well. do programs go through all the apps or do they just look at numbers and place you into one stack or another based on the numbers?

For Independent applicants the USMLE is not very important, as long as you don't have a failure on the exam. ABSITE scores will probably get more attention at most programs.

For Independent applicants the USMLE is not very important, as long as you don't have a failure on the exam. ABSITE scores will probably get more attention at most programs.

I agree that USMLE is not the most important, but if your scores were below 200 and your ABSITE sucks, you can pretty much hang it up. I'm willing to get over a bad USMLE (not a failure on I or II) if your scores are over 50-60%. Others might feel differently.

I went through an application this past year with USMLE 190 and ABSITE 5-10 percentile. No research. No presentations. After the letters went out and they didn't get an interview, the person emailed me and asked what they could do to become more competitive. At that point, as a GS-4, you are pretty much done. I suppose you could do a hand fellowship and then reapply, but I would say your chances would be very slim to Hess.

I know some might think the system is not fair, but it's the system we have. I've already started looking at applications for 2014 and USMLEs are generally 220 or better, ABSITE is 60% or better, they have publications and presentations, they have great letters. If you're not able to compete in that bracket...

The one that I really don't get is the Independent applicant from a "good" GS program who had great Step 1/2 scores and then bombed the ABSITE every year. They then have the gall to say, "Our program didn't emphasize the exam." Really?? You went from being a great student who prepared well and nailed an important test to totally blowing off the only exam that you take routinely?

Did anyone else get interviews? SDplastics when are you going for interview?

Anyomre Interviews? Do you guys think it woul dhelp if we posted our credentials?
Does anyone have a final number of applicants and number of available spots?

When did the temple interview invites get sent out?

Is it early for interview invitations? Does anyone have a final number on how many applicants?

Temple (10/25) 1/18,1/21,2/9,2/15

Did Temple invites come via email? Are they sending invites earlier than usual this year?

Did Temple invites come via email? Are they sending invites earlier than usual this year?
Temple's invite was email. Last years post indicates that an email notification was given January 5th.

Does anyone know if programs send rejection emails to disqualified applicants?

Havent heard from other programs above yet, but got Mississippi the other day.

All invitations sent from U of Mississippi per program coordinator

Any updates? Can you guys post the list of Interviews , when you got the invitation ? how? phone or email? and what are the interview dates..

Thanks

Temple (10/25) 1/18,1/21,2/9,2/15

Does anyone know about the pros and cons of the programs above? Also can people give insights if known about each program as the invites start rolling in?

Anyone knows how many applicants this year?
Did anyone contact programs to see when they're planning to send invitations?

Do we know how many registered applicants so far?

Anybody knows if programs send rejections? or if they don't reply that means rejection?

Anybody knows if programs send rejections? or if they don't reply that means rejection?

Speaking only for our program, we do send letters both invitations for interviews and rejections. I try to get through all the applications before deciding who to interview so you won't hear either way from us until we get through everything. It's a cumbersome process and it takes time to evaluate all the material.

Is anyone aware of any programs requiring supplemental materials not provided by the San Francisco match to complete their application process?

Is anyone aware of any programs requiring supplemental materials not provided by the San Francisco match to complete their application process?
Did you hear this from somewhere? never heard of any supplemental material requirements...

Did you hear this from somewhere? never heard of any supplemental material requirements...

I know this was the case when I applied for general surgery years ago... just wanted to check if anyone had any other info.

Temple (10/25): 1/18,1/21,2/9,2/15
Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery Institute (11/15): 3/25

Does anyone know if programs usually send rejections as well?
I didn't receive anything yet and starting to get nervous

Guys, I think UC Irvine also sent all their interviews