Programs that require step 2 CK before interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc123puck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anybody is aware of any programs, especially those that are widely considered to be top 20, that require step 2 ck to be either taken or scores received before an interview invitation could be handed out. Having a good step 1 score in the bag, I had originally planned on taking step 2 right after winter break but have started to get worried lately after listening to the rumor mill. Any help is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recall hearing such things in the past. That said, I would advise against your strategy simply on the freak chance you fail and need to re-take it in time to graduate and start residency.

I would worry about getting CS in the bag as well, and would probably take it before xmas just to be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
CS I'm taking in early October to get it out of the way. As far as CK, don't think I need to worry about failing (250+ on step 1), I'm just worried that some schools are beginning to push for CK scores to be back before interviews are handed out. I believe UCSF and some programs at MGH like rads are moving towards that policy

UCSF does have a policy regarding Step 2 CK for all incoming interns. I believe you are supposed to have the exam completed by November and results back before February. I think its so they have it to look at when they make their final rank lists.

A classmate, who was going into Plastic Surgery, of mine did not even get an interview (plastics or gen surg) at UCSF despite doing an away elective there (and did well...at least thats what they said :rolleyes:). We both think it was because he took his exam at the end of November.

Honestly I took it right at the end of third year because I figured that I had the most clinical book knowledge after taking shelves for a year. I didnt want to spend extra time studying after months of not using my brain (Im convinced 4th year made me dumber). But thats just my 2 cents. (I scored 250+ on step 1 so I wasnt trying to make up for a poor step 1 score if that means anything)

I haven't heard of this and I did interviews last year. It would be better to get it done early rather than having something else to think about while everything else is going on. I know that they want you to have it done before you start residency.

What are the top 20 residencies?

I don't know of any program that required Step 2 before they would offer an interview (I was in the match two cycles ago). Some wanted it before rank lists were due. If you could do well on Step 1, I wouldn't worry too much about Step 2, which I thought was much easier. As long as you don't go from a 250 to a 170 and failing, I don't think a lower score would hurt. Just don't completely blow it off and you should do nearly as well.

And everyone's "Top 20" will vary tremendously. Find a program that is in a city you want to live in, that you mesh well with the residents on your interview day, and that is what you consider acceptable in terms of academics (get to see the amount of cases you want, and not stuck doing scut work all day).

I haven't heard of this and I did interviews last year. It would be better to get it done early rather than having something else to think about while everything else is going on. I know that they want you to have it done before you start residency.

What are the top 20 residencies?

Please do not hijack the thread to ask this often discussed issue of "whose program is the awesomest?" Especially since you interviewed already.

It's variable.

Some programs will care and others won't. Sometimes it is a "hard" requirement (you must have it or you're excluded completely) vs "soft" requirement (not required but not having it may put you at bottom of the pack). For others it won't factor into their match process at all, and just expect a passing score before you start the program.

You should try to take it as early as possible, but only take when you are ready. Don't rush for the sake of rushing.