Steps to immigrating to USA from Canada after completing J1 home residency requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gorillamunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I completed surg path and cytopath fellowships in the US and I have been working in Canada as a pathologist for over five years.

I have maintained ABP certification in AP and cytopath.

What are my next steps to immigrating to the US to work as a pathologist?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like your initial step is to get the advice of an immigration attorney.

Reactions: 1 user
I navigated the J1 process using a lawyer only to certify documents.

I remember learning from talking to others going through the process, for example, learning about the ease (time and money) of obtaining a Pennsylvania license.

I am interested in hearing from people how have gone through the process (securing pathologist work for a Canadian in the US) as an employee or employer.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you I would apply for permanent residency through EB1 pathway with the help of an attorney who does this type of cases. After obtaining permanent residency, or at least EAD, I would start looking for a job.

If I were you I would apply for permanent residency through EB1 pathway with the help of an attorney who does this type of cases. After obtaining permanent residency, or at least EAD, I would start looking for a job.
Thanks for the reply Iceman24. Don't I need a job offer/sponsor before applying for the EB1?