Programs that do not participate in NRMP match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoenberg3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your opinions on psychiatry residency programs that do not participate in NRMP match? Using the FRIEDA database, I've found 21 US psychiatry programs that fit this criterion.

I've searched the web for some insight on these programs, but information was few and far between. Specifically, what are the "risks" or disadvantages if any of applying to (and possibly attending) these programs? How does one go about applying to these programs?

As I am an IMG applying to psychiatry, I feel that I need to apply as broadly as possible in order to maximize my chances of matching.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

If I recall correctly, they are usually the less desired residency programs that mostly cater to IMG or red-flag applicants. This also means they are the workhorse programs of the world. There's one in NYC that makes your do an entrance exam prior to the interview lol. I didn't go, but I heard it was basically like PRITE. As a non-US IMG, I would apply to all of those programs. If you are a US-IMG, I'd still apply to them, but wouldn't go to the interviews if I had better options. This was my experience however many years ago.