This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know about UNebraska, Creighton, and U Oklahoma (OC main campus)? All seem like decent mid tier programs. From my research online appears that UNebraska has the slight edge over the other two.

And UKentucky vs ULouisville? Both seem on par

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know about UNebraska, Creighton, and U Oklahoma (OC main campus)? All seem like decent mid tier programs. From my research online appears that UNebraska has the slight edge over the other two.

I think the consensus is UK = nicer facility, better location, better training.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone tell me which would be most preferable based on internal medicine training and best opportunities for a GI fellowship afterward (ie. in-house matches)? Location not an issue. Most if not all of these are solid mid-tiers, so reputation-wise it would be difficult to differentiate them. However, if anyone has any insight to programs with a procedural and/or fellowship-preparing slant then I guess that's what I'm looking for. I want to be a well-trained yet not burnt-out internist first and foremost.

-Baylor Dallas
-Dartmouth
-Indiana
-Iowa
-Henry Ford (5 GI PGY-4 positions/yr and 13 GI matches in last 3 yrs)
-Loyola
-MCW
-Miami (Jackson-Memorial)
-Montefiore (Albert Einstein)
-UF-Gainesville
-UIC
-Utah
-UT Houston

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know anything about Loyola? I like the program but there are negative reviews on doximity about unhappy residents and problems with administration that are giving me pause. Can anybody verify or deny these issues? Thanks!

Good Morning,

Need to cancel a few interviews. These are the interviews that I would like to keep.

Cincinnati, Dartmouth, New Mexico, North Shore ,Loyola, Montefiore
USF, MUSC, Rutgers,Rutgers RWJ,Winthrop,Albert Einstein Philly

I'm thinking of canceling

NYU Brooklyn Campus . NYU purchased in 2015. Previously Lutheran Center.
Georgetown MedStart . Any differences with the University Hospital?
Ochsner

If anybody has any insight, I will appreciate it.

Good Morning,

Need to cancel a few interviews. These are the interviews that I would like to keep.

Cincinnati, Dartmouth, New Mexico, North Shore ,Loyola, Montefiore
USF, MUSC, Rutgers,Rutgers RWJ,Winthrop,Albert Einstein Philly

I'm thinking of canceling

NYU Brooklyn Campus . NYU purchased in 2015. Previously Lutheran Center.
Georgetown MedStart . Any differences with the University Hospital?
Ochsner

If anybody has any insight, I will appreciate it.

I'd personally keep Ochsner and drop either Rutgers-Newark, or Winthrop. Ochsner is a large health system with tons of $$ much like NSLIJ. Has a strong GI department with heavy focus on liver.
Definitely cancel Lutheran. I'd also go to Georgetown if that is the University one.

Thank you for the Oshcner information HelpPleaseMD, I will definitively keep it.

Could someone talk a bit about Kaiser San Francisco? I threw them a random application because of location (am considering SF since it would be a good place for my BF to find a job), but the mentors I spoke to at my home institution weren't at all familiar with it (I'm not anywhere near the west coast for school). I'm at a well regarded academic institution, would like to keep my options open for fellowship, and mostly applied to academic programs.

My main question would be about environment --I'm wary of malignant or not very supportive programs, but any perspective would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bumpity bump

Wondering if anyone had any updated thoughts or experiences on some programs? Thank youuu

USC-Palmetto
Greenville
Mt Sinai - Miami
Texas A&M
Medical College of Georgia
UConn
UNM
Drexel

bumpity bump

I interviewed at Kaiser SF two years ago. I got the impression that it is a good community program, on the small side, with a very supportive PD and environment, and with good work-life balance and benefits/pay slightly better than other Bay Area programs. They have an in-house cards fellowship that regularly takes program graduates. For the last two years, one of the two chief residents has been a UCSF internal medicine residency graduate. I ranked it highly, but ended up matching at an academic program to keep my options for fellowship open.

Wondering if anyone had any updated thoughts or experiences on some programs? Thank youuu

USC-Palmetto
Greenville
Mt Sinai - Miami
Texas A&M
Medical College of Georgia
UConn
UNM
Drexel

So I visited UCONN and Drexel. I was expecting little given that they appeared to be where the IMGs (sgu,ross,etc) congregate which scared me but.... Both are large programs (130ish residents) with the majority of residents being IMG). That being said both are decent mid tier programs with plenty of grads going into fellowships of most fields. Drexel has its students between 2 different hospitals about 45 min apart (one big city hosp and another more suburban) and UCONN has 3 hospitals about 15 min from one another. So both felt "smaller" than they actually were since the residents were spread out. Much different than if 120 people were at 1 location. Drexel very recently (less than 1yr) switched over to full EMR which didn't seem to be much of an issue. UCONN has an amazing (really blew me away) brand new university hospital where you spend about 20% of your time that ironically uses paper charts (although typed out, not hand written). Epic is coming in 2018 but doesn't matter much for us... The other 2 hospitals use epic. Residents are happy at both places. My personal "experience" ... I felt a bit warmer of a vibe at UCONN. Drexel felt exactly like philly ... rough around the edges but a good heart. The university hospital at drexel was older and "rough" looking but not broken down or anything like that. Just well used if that makes sense. You don't have a dinner the night before and it seemed a bit "dry" (PG seemed dry to me) but the residents brought life and energy to the day when they came in to talk to us throughout. Both had 95%+ board pass rate last year.

In terms of reputation I think UCONN edges out but both are pretty close. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Location is different. Philly vs Hartford. Philly is obviously a big city while hartford is more low key but has plenty of things to do especially if you are outdoorsy. Stunningly beautiful. One thing that I noticed is that both programs don't have as much didactics as others that I have visited. Both have teaching sessions early on in intern year and grand rounds / morning report but compared to some other programs that had morning report + didactics nearly every day throughout residency was something to note. Residents don't feel like their education was compromised and the board past rates correspond...

So I visited UCONN and Drexel. I was expecting little given that they appeared to be where the IMGs (sgu,ross,etc) congregate which scared me but.... Both are large programs (130ish residents) with the majority of residents being IMG). That being said both are decent mid tier programs with plenty of grads going into fellowships of most fields. Drexel has its students between 2 different hospitals about 45 min apart (one big city hosp and another more suburban) and UCONN has 3 hospitals about 15 min from one another. So both felt "smaller" than they actually were since the residents were spread out. Much different than if 120 people were at 1 location. Drexel very recently (less than 1yr) switched over to full EMR which didn't seem to be much of an issue. UCONN has an amazing (really blew me away) brand new university hospital where you spend about 20% of your time that ironically uses paper charts (although typed out, not hand written). Epic is coming in 2018 but doesn't matter much for us... The other 2 hospitals use epic. Residents are happy at both places. My personal "experience" ... I felt a bit warmer of a vibe at UCONN. Drexel felt exactly like philly ... rough around the edges but a good heart. The university hospital at drexel was older and "rough" looking but not broken down or anything like that. Just well used if that makes sense. You don't have a dinner the night before and it seemed a bit "dry" (PG seemed dry to me) but the residents brought life and energy to the day when they came in to talk to us throughout. Both had 95%+ board pass rate last year.

In terms of reputation I think UCONN edges out but both are pretty close. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Location is different. Philly vs Hartford. Philly is obviously a big city while hartford is more low key but has plenty of things to do especially if you are outdoorsy. Stunningly beautiful. One thing that I noticed is that both programs don't have as much didactics as others that I have visited. Both have teaching sessions early on in intern year and grand rounds / morning report but compared to some other programs that had morning report + didactics nearly every day throughout residency was something to note. Residents don't feel like their education was compromised and the board past rates correspond...

Super detailed thank you! I'm weighing those two programs heavily right now (yet to interview there).

Can you (or anyone else) weigh on in UMass? That rounds out my top three really and I was hoping to get some insight before interviewing.
Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Long time lurker in need of some advice. I am thinking about canceling some interviews because it's just physically (and financially ) impossible to get to all of them. On the chopping block are UMaryland or Hopkins-Bayview (need to pick one or the other), UMichigan, Mt. Sinai, UNC, and Albert Einstein/Monte. I am looking for a program with strong teaching and mentorship, resident autonomy, good GI fellowship matches, in a bigger city preferably with a heterogenous, diverse patient population and housestaff. Flexible with location. Any thoughts on which to cancel based on my preferences?

The interviews I plan on going on:

NE: BWH, BIDC, BMC, Brown, Yale
Mid-Atlantic: Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Upenn, TJeff, Hopkins
South: Vandy, Duke, Emory
Mid-west: UChicago, Northwestern
West: Stanford, UCSF

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
^Matteo reincarnate. What an incredible position to be in to have 20+ invites at programs that will open doors wherever you go.

If I were lucky enough to be in your shoes, I would not cancel Sinai or Michigan (both GI powerhouses). But given the rest of your list, the only thing that will be limiting your future career outlook is you, not your training program.

lol @Daodejing

Hi all,

Long time lurker in need of some advice. I am thinking about canceling some interviews because it's just physically (and financially ) impossible to get to all of them. On the chopping block are UMaryland or Hopkins-Bayview (need to pick one or the other), UMichigan, Mt. Sinai, UNC, and Albert Einstein/Monte. I am looking for a program with strong teaching and mentorship, resident autonomy, good GI fellowship matches, in a bigger city preferably with a heterogenous, diverse patient population and housestaff. Flexible with location. Any thoughts on which to cancel based on my preferences?

Thank you!

firstly, congrats on the incredibly impressive list of interview invitations - you clearly will have your choice of program! Unfortunately, I have no sage advice to give as I am in a similar situation, but I can at least attempt to show my particular train of thought:

In my case, a big part of the problem was trying to figure out how many interviews to actually go on - I ended up limiting myself to ~15 interviews. As long as you have a group of ~3 interviews that you feel confident to match at (ideally home program + 2 others,) the rest is really up to you.

If I were you, I would probably drop Maryland, Bayview, UNC, AE/Monte, Brown, BMC, TJeff, Emory (you can keep 1 or 2 of these are a confident back-up, I suppose?) - as long as you're okay with Ann Arbor, I would absolutely keep UM.

maybe Yale/UChicago - it just depends on how many interviews you are willing to go on (mentally/physically/financially)!

All the best - and maybe I'll see you on the interview trail!

Hi all,

Thank you!

It's not really clear to me how many places you want to interview. But let's say it's 15 total (a reasonable #, if a touch excessive for an applicant like you). Got on these
NE/Mid-Atlantic:BWH, BIDMC, MSSM, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Hopkins
Midwest: UofC, NW, Michigan
South: Vandy and Duke. Maybe UNC or Emory
West: Yup

Thank you, guys! I really appreciate it.

I want to go on 20 interviews. This might be overkill, but I feel like all of these are incredible programs. I might fall in love with a mid-tier program, who knows? Looks like UMich and Mt. Sinai should NOT be on the chopping block lol Good to know.

It's not really clear to me how many places you want to interview. But let's say it's 15 total (a reasonable #, if a touch excessive for an applicant like you). Got on these
NE/Mid-Atlantic:BWH, BIDMC, MSSM, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Hopkins
Midwest: UofC, NW, Michigan
South: Vandy and Duke. Maybe UNC or Emory
West: Yup

jazzyfresh, what an incredible list! Congratulations on all the options, and hope to see both you and @Matteo on the trail!

I also need some help with canceling interviews. I've already canceled a good amount, but have that same lingering question as Matteo and jazzy-- how many interviews should I go on where I'm "confident to match at", to use the same terminology? I'm also aiming to do ~17 interviews between IM and Med-Peds (leaning towards IM now that I've done a couple of interviews). My interest is doing academic GIM/health disparities/urban underserved medicine.

Definites (other than home institution):

Midwest: University of Michigan IM + MP, University of Chicago IM +/- MP
West: UCSD IM + MP, UCLA, Harbor-UCLA, UW, UCSF
East: BWH, MGH (MP only), Penn (MP only), Cornell, MSSM, NYU, Yale, Yale PC, Johns Hopkins

Chopping Block:

West: University of Colorado IM + MP, CPMC, SCVMC, OHSU, UC Davis
Midwest: WashU, University of Chicago M-P
East: Montefiore PC/SIM, Hopkins-Bayview, Brown IM, Brown M-P

The rest of the unnamed are canceled. I would love some help, and know that I need to cancel the vast majority of the chopping block. My major concern is having a few programs that are "safer" for me to match at in the mix of places I end up interviewing at. Thanks so much for all y'all's thoughts! :D

jazzyfresh, what an incredible list! Congratulations on all the options, and hope to see both you and @Matteo on the trail!

I also need some help with canceling interviews. I've already canceled a good amount, but have that same lingering question as Matteo and jazzy-- how many interviews should I go on where I'm "confident to match at", to use the same terminology? I'm also aiming to do ~17 interviews between IM and Med-Peds (leaning towards IM now that I've done a couple of interviews). My interest is doing academic GIM/health disparities/urban underserved medicine.

East: BWH, MGH (MP only), Penn (MP only), Cornell, MSSM, NYU, Yale, Yale PC, Johns Hopkins

Chopping Block:

The rest of the unnamed are canceled. I would love some help, and know that I need to cancel the vast majority of the chopping block. My major concern is having a few programs that are "safer" for me to match at in the mix of places I end up interviewing at. Thanks so much for all y'all's thoughts! :D

Congrats to you as well, @Casa Loma!! I have the same concerns about having too few "safer" programs. Would love to know what others think about that. Your list is incredible! I didn't apply to any of the Washingtons because of location, but I've heard great things about WashU. So maybe keep that one and nix the rest? That's what I would do with your list...

Hi all,

Thank you!

Cancel all of the ones you mentioned canceling. 18 interviews is already too many.

Chopping Block:

The problem here is it's unclear whether you're prioritizing IM or med-peds. it's time to decide rather than having this weird mixure. Unless the IM and med-peds interview is the same day.

lol @Daodejing

If I were you, I would probably drop Maryland, Bayview, UNC, AE/Monte, Brown, BMC, TJeff, Emory (you can keep 1 or 2 of these are a confident back-up, I suppose?) - as long as you're okay with Ann Arbor, I would absolutely keep UM.

I would not drop Mich, unless there's a reason you hate Ann Arbor or football. I don't know why so many people are looking down on Emory here, but it's easily a better program than any of those places except for maybe Mich.

Einstein is in a pretty boring area of NYC, and UNC, at your level, is redundant to Duke (unless you can schedule those at the same time).

Srs talk now: why take a spot from someone at UMaryland or Bayview? There's no way you'll go there with your list. Drop those for the other applicants.

Update: 18 interviews? Drop TJeff rather than Mich, then drop Brown and BMC.

Last edited:

Chopping Block:

1.) You will match to your top 2-3 choices, CL!
2.) drop all of your chopping block.
3.) consider dropping UCSD and Harbor

And, CL, to echo the Tornado of Meats--
I would worry that you don't have a clear, definitive story to give the interviewers who will realize you're applying for both programs and may consider you indecisive.

Perhaps you do though. You are, after all, a mythical beast. ;)

(Note: This is a question about Hopkins-Bayview. Title lost when merging with appropriate forum)

I wasn't able to find any recent information on this program. People have mentioned that this is a community program. I would like to know more about the breadth of pathology the residents are exposed to during their training there. Is it more limited than a program like Emory?
Also their website mentions they can do their electives at JHU. How many of their elective months can they do there? Is there a limit?
Finally, someone had posted that last year 6 out of 13 of their categorical spots had gone unfilled during match. Is that true?

I would love some feedback from current residents there. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
(Note: This is a question about Hopkins-Bayview. Title lost when merging with appropriate forum)
Just want to be very clear that I edited this post to add the above, otherwise it would have been a non-sensical post. No other changes were made.

Finally, someone had posted that last year 6 out of 13 of their categorical spots had gone unfilled during match. Is that true?
That's publicly available information. Look it up for yourself.

Chopping Block:

@gutonc , may I bother you for your opinion? I would really appreciate it :)

@MeatTornado , thank you for weighing in! I dual-applied because I'm interested in being an academic generalist/primary care, and felt that both would fit my goals well. At this early stage in the process, I've realized I'm more inclined towards IM rather than Med-Peds based on the two programs I've dual-interviewed at. All of the rest are the same day except MGH and Penn, where I wasn't invited IM.

@la2la2im, hehe thanks for weighing in too (I may or may not have coerced you to, hahaha). I really thought through my reasons for dual-applying, but share your worry that those programs will find me indecisive. I couldn't get Med-Peds out of my head and felt I would regret not exploring it during interview season.

@gutonc , may I bother you for your opinion? I would really appreciate it :)
You get what you pay for, so here it goes.

Nothing wrong with the places you're planning to go, other than they seem to be largely grandma programs (places your grandma has heard of, and would approve of). Which is fine. They all definitely have big names, and are generally considered to be good programs.

If you're really into GIM/PCP and have any sort of social justice approach to medicine, not including Monte and OHSU in your interviews is a mistake. If you just want to get good GIM/PC training, you could leave them out...or not.

You could easily ditch the rest of the NYC programs quite honestly.

@la2la2im, hehe thanks for weighing in too (I may or may not have coerced you to, hahaha). I really thought through my reasons for dual-applying, but share your worry that those programs will find me indecisive. I couldn't get Med-Peds out of my head and felt I would regret not exploring it during interview season.

I figured you'd have thought it through!

Tbh, I'm doing the same with EM/IM, so, ya know, glass houses...

Can anyone tell me which would be most preferable based on internal medicine training and best opportunities for a GI fellowship afterward (ie. in-house matches)? Location not an issue. Most if not all of these are solid mid-tiers, so reputation-wise it would be difficult to differentiate them. However, if anyone has any insight to programs with a procedural and/or fellowship-preparing slant then I guess that's what I'm looking for. I want to be a well-trained yet not burnt-out internist first and foremost.

-Baylor Dallas
-Dartmouth
-Indiana
-Iowa
-Loyola
-MCW
-UF-Gainesville
-UIC
-Utah
-UT Houston

Is case University hospitals not an option?

Seems like this thread has been a little quiet as far as responses, but I figure it's worth a shot asking. I need to cut 2-3 interviews and was looking for any thoughts people have about the following programs:

Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Indiana University
Case Western
Wake Forest

Any obvious ones to cut/keep?

No location preference between these. Things that are important to me are good support for residents interested in teaching/education and ensuring good autonomy/opportunity for hands on experiences (resident vs fellow run). Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

As a Case (University Hospitals) resident, I must say that the program is awesome. ;-)

I wish but no. Did you have any of these on your rank list? Any advice on how to rank them based on what I mentioned?

I ranked IU and cincinnati, but for med-peds. My impression was that cincinnati's medicine program has great teaching but didn't feel quite as robust as some of the other programs I'd seen. Indiana is hard to describe because med-peds rules the roost there with 14 residents so I met zero categoricals.

Large dogs

"Can anyone tell me which would be most preferable based on internal medicine training and best opportunities for a GI fellowship afterward (ie. in-house matches)? Location not an issue. Most if not all of these are solid mid-tiers, so reputation-wise it would be difficult to differentiate them. However, if anyone has any insight to programs with a procedural and/or fellowship-preparing slant then I guess that's what I'm looking for. I want to be a well-trained yet not burnt-out internist first and foremost.

-Baylor Dallas
-Dartmouth
-Indiana
-Iowa
-Loyola
-MCW
-UF-Gainesville
-UIC
-Utah
-UT Houston"

I don't have Cincy on my list. My post was the one above^.

I ranked IU and cincinnati, but for med-peds. My impression was that cincinnati's medicine program has great teaching but didn't feel quite as robust as some of the other programs I'd seen. Indiana is hard to describe because med-peds rules the roost there with 14 residents so I met zero categoricals.

Large dogs

Is it smart to rank programs that have more 1st year fellowship positions higher than those with fewer..to idk get a better shot down the line. Having a hard time ranking when close to all other factors between programs are more or less a wash.

"Can anyone tell me which would be most preferable based on internal medicine training and best opportunities for a GI fellowship afterward (ie. in-house matches)? Location not an issue. Most if not all of these are solid mid-tiers, so reputation-wise it would be difficult to differentiate them. However, if anyone has any insight to programs with a procedural and/or fellowship-preparing slant then I guess that's what I'm looking for. I want to be a well-trained yet not burnt-out internist first and foremost.

-Baylor Dallas
-Dartmouth
-Indiana
-Iowa
-Loyola
-MCW
-UF-Gainesville
-UIC
-Utah
-UT Houston"

I don't have Cincy on my list. My post was the one above^.

Is it smart to rank programs that have more 1st year fellowship positions higher than those with fewer..to idk get a better shot down the line. Having a hard time ranking when close to all other factors between programs are more or less a wash.

It's smarter to rank a program where you won't go insane working with the people there for three years.

Went to medical school at Creighton, interviewed at UNMC. Chose to rank Creighton very low because after the CHI buyout, there is a lot of turmoil. A significant number of the faculty have been leaving over the last 4 years (from all the residency programs). While I loved the program and the medical school there, there was way to much uncertainty and unrest for me to stay. UNMC is a decent program, I ranked it towards the middle of my rank list because I felt that I fit in better at other places.

Just asking again if anyone on here has any insight into the caliber of Hopkins-bayview and the breadth of pathology they see. Thanks

Pretty humble list compared to you rockstars with top 20 programs, but I'm looking for some insight to help me rank.
US-IMG interested in pursuing a cards fellowship after medicine.

- Cleveland Clinic
- UMass
- Drexel
- UConn
- Georgetown
- UT Houston

-> I had a good feeling about UMass and Drexel, the latter because of pathology and location. Georgetown interviewed well but the program had pretty glaring deficiencies like the archaic EMR. Still have not IV'd at UT, UConn, and CCF yet.
I'd prefer to stay in the northeast due to family reasons but am not opposed to moving.
Thoughts on the above programs? Thanks!

Well then come back when you have. Your list may be completely different.

Fair enough. Simply based on reputation how would you rank that list?
(Since the general consensus is that Doximity is garbage).

Fair enough. Simply based on reputation how would you rank that list?
(Since the general consensus is that Doximity is garbage).
Reputation means nothing if you jump off the hospital roof midway through intern year because the place is toxic for you.

The process works like this:
1. Interview
2. Establish your own list
3. Ask a random bunch of jackholes on the internet what they think about it
4. Profit

Reactions: 4 users
Pretty humble list compared to you rockstars with top 20 programs, but I'm looking for some insight to help me rank.

- Cleveland Clinic
- UMass
- Drexel
- UConn
- Georgetown
- UT Houston

-> I had a good feeling about UMass and Drexel, the latter because of pathology and location. Georgetown interviewed well but the program had pretty glaring deficiencies like the archaic EMR. Still have not IV'd at UT, UConn, and CCF yet.
I'd prefer to stay in the northeast due to family reasons but am not opposed to moving.

uconn/drexel prob won't give you the best chance to match into a cards fellowship outside the home institution given the rep of the programs.

Since you're basically applying Med-Peds with just a couple of IM backups, you'll probably get more useful replies in the M-P forum. I'd be happy to move it there if you like.

One comment I can make is that if you're getting IVs from Hopkins and Duke, you can probably afford to drop a lot of those places.

Since you're basically applying Med-Peds with just a couple of IM backups, you'll probably get more useful replies in the M-P forum. I'd be happy to move it there if you like.

One comment I can make is that if you're getting IVs from Hopkins and Duke, you can probably afford to drop a lot of those places.

Thanks @gutonc. That may be more applicable.

Hi all-

I would love input regarding interviews to drop/keep or any other general comments from people with similar interests.

Priorities: 1. great training (smart residents, high expectations, want to be challenged) , 2. close to family support (I have kids), 3. meaningful mentorship
Interests: adolescent medicine, urban health, health policy, health innovation
Career interests: would like to combine a few of these - outpatient adolescent/young adult, part-time inpatient GIM or Peds in an academic center, health policy or health innovation on the side. Don't plan to subspecialize; considering adolescent or GIM fellowship.
My story: Had a prior career, scores are about average but I'm coming from a decent school and my application tells a good story. M-P is the best fit for me, but due to my geographic restrictions, I did apply to some IM programs as well (I can fulfill most of my interests through IM -> adolescent fellowship)

Northeast: My husband currently works in Boston, but we don't have family in the area
-MGH M-P
-Brown M-P
-Yale M-P
-U Mass M-P

Mid-Atlantic: My family is in Baltimore so ideally would match in this area.
-Hopkins M-P, IM
-UMD M-P, IM
-Bayview IM
-UVA IM
-Jefferson IM
-GW IM
-Christiana M-P

Others:
-U Mich M-P: husband's family lives in Michigan
-Jackson Memorial Miami M-P, IM: we have family north of Miami
-Duke M-P: relatively close to home (ish?)
-Baylor M-P: interviewing because I heard the training is amazing and we have friends to visit in Houston

Probably will drop:
U Chicago M-P, Maine M-P + IM, Univ Rochester M-P, U Minnesota M-P, Brown IM, UW IM, Yale IM primary care

My main struggle as I interview is that I am not finding my "perfect fit" in my preferred geographic location. I'm wondering if I should keep interviewing to try to find it, or accept that I may just have to sacrifice quality of training / best fit to be close to family.

Thoughts from the wise?

Kids complicate the picture. Would recommend attending your interviews and seeing which program you like this most. I would also recommend asking residents if they actually have classmates with children. Some of the places you listed I also interviewed at (medicine only) and they had maybe 1-2 residents with children vs others where 10-15% of the class has kids. The other complicating factor is how open your PD is to families. You can usually get a sense of this on interviews by asking people with kids how they felt supported.

Personally, I would cancel programs that are not at primary academic centers given your career interests. I would keep all programs with strong schools of public health given your aspirations/career goals and ones with urban health focuses. My finally recommendation is if you are applying to PC programs I would axe the ones that do not rotate at the main hospitals. In other words, your training would be mainly at a community hospital center. A strong inpatient foundation is needed to do well in the outpatient setting. The patients at the bigger academic centers tend to be more sick/complicated which leads to better overall training.

PM Me if you want to talk more about the Baltimore programs. I can offer some advice.

Reactions: 1 users

- Cleveland Clinic
- UMass
- Drexel
- UConn
- Georgetown
- UT Houston

Scroll up and see what I wrote about UConn and Drexel. I would say they are low mid tier programs.

Went to medical school at Creighton, interviewed at UNMC. Chose to rank Creighton very low because after the CHI buyout, there is a lot of turmoil. A significant number of the faculty have been leaving over the last 4 years (from all the residency programs). While I loved the program and the medical school there, there was way to much uncertainty and unrest for me to stay. UNMC is a decent program, I ranked it towards the middle of my rank list because I felt that I fit in better at other places.

Awesome thank you. Sounds like I made the right choice. Not going to Creighton but doing UNMC.

I interviewed at Creighton this season and the residents seemed to be pretty happy with the level of teaching and autonomy they have. Fellowship placement also good as nearly every resident gets what they want at competitive locations and in house. PD is extremely approachable and receptive to feedback based on what the residents had to say. They're slowly moving their program from the Creighton University hospital to the CHI Mercy/Bergan hospital and the facilities are larger and more updated. Residents will get their own modern lounge, and also a GME lounge, both of which are being put together in the new academic center they're building as an expansion to the hospital. Gym (real gym, with squat bar and bench press among other equipment, not just a couple ellipticals) in the hospital is free. The changes seemed to be pretty well received and will benefit the program nicely.

That was my impression of the program when I visited. Since the change to CHI was a few years ago, maybe the turmoil settled down as more things fell into place.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Howdy Y'all:

I'm interested in going the pulm/cc route
Any thoughts on these programs? I was initially blown away by WashU, and Case also put on a pretty great show, so I'm torn between those two for my number 1

1-2 WashU/Case University Hospitals
3 Baylor College of Medicine
4 Tulane
5 OSU
6 VCU

Also, should I expect to hear back from places like UPMC, Emory, Cleveland Clinic, U of Chicago? I'm just confused because it seems like I'm getting interviews from places in that tier. 240's step 1, 250s step 2. Advanced or outstanding on all rotations.

I interviewed at Creighton this season and the residents seemed to be pretty happy with the level of teaching and autonomy they have. Fellowship placement also good as nearly every resident gets what they want at competitive locations and in house. PD is extremely approachable and receptive to feedback based on what the residents had to say. They're slowly moving their program from the Creighton University hospital to the CHI Mercy/Bergan hospital and the facilities are larger and more updated. Residents will get their own modern lounge, and also a GME lounge, both of which are being put together in the new academic center they're building as an expansion to the hospital. Gym (real gym, with squat bar and bench press among other equipment, not just a couple ellipticals) in the hospital is free. The changes seemed to be pretty well received and will benefit the program nicely.

That was my impression of the program when I visited. Since the change to CHI was a few years ago, maybe the turmoil settled down as more things fell into place.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The CHI buyout was a couple years ago, but there have been constant problems ever since that happened. I graduated from Creighton last year. I really hope things have gotten better in the 6 months that I have been gone, but I would be surprised. There is a reason not a single person stayed there for internal medicine, and it wasn't just because it was out of state people that wanted to go back home. A lot of internal medicine categoricals from my class went to UNMC because they wanted to stay in Omaha but did not feel comfortable with how things were going. I really did love my time there as a student. The current PD took over towards the end of my 4th year when the other PD left, so I didn't get a chance to see how the program would change under her. But to be honest, there isn't much a PD would be able to do about the problems that were occurring. They are way above the PD's pay grade.

2 examples (that no PD could prevent or fix):
1. Towards the end of my third year an entire clinic in west omaha was shut down because every single physician in it walked because of how CHI was treating them. This was an academic clinic where students rotated through, not one of the private clinics.
2. CHI started paying academic physicians based on productivity. Teaching suffered because attendings were literally losing money teaching. Lot's of faculty started leaving because of this.

To your response about residents being happy, yes, residents are generally pretty happy there. It is a low stress residency, most of your patients aren't super sick, and interns don't normally get too close to the duty hour cap.

I am not saying it is a bad residency program. I am saying I didn't want to gamble on how things might go, and neither did anybody else in my class. Take that for whatever it is worth.

P.S. Take everything that is said by residents during interviews with a grain of salt. Even if they are unhappy with where they are, it benefits them greatly when good applicants go to their program. Everyone would much rather have a rock star intern working under them next year than some dud. Every resident you talk to on the interview trail will tell you how amazing their program is