This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a resident at Northshore. Do not go here. The Program Director holds someone back every year. Make sure you ask about this during your interview. The current Chiefs abuse their power and are not liked or respected by any of the residents and can and will make your life miserable. Make sure you ask about how floors are assigned, how many patients you typically carry and if you cap at Evanston, because you will. Do your homework before you rank.

Members don't see this ad.

The Chiefs and Program directors will make your lives miserable if they don't like you. Sure, everyone is smiling and nice on interview day, but make sure you ask the residents during your lunch how busy they really are and what time they go home every night and how they are treated.

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed at Rush for IM or any current residents have a sense of the fellowship match list? I haven't been able to find it anywhere on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I had a question perhaps for the more seasoned forum-ers amongst you all, about ranking.

I am a non-US-IMG with a PhD with a strong interest in academic Heme/Onc. I most enjoyed my interviews at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and UChicago and am trying to decide what to rank 1 and 2. BID- pros: In Boston, seems like a nice European feeling city, prestigious Harvard name (I understand this matters down the line), great resources, can short track, multiple great local fellowships. Cons- being in a super competitive piraña pond of type A's and getting sort of lost in the hubbub, fellowship not guaranteed (but probable). UChicago- pros: Guaranteed fellowship, smaller program so great nurturing academic atmosphere with super high funding success rate, feeling of the faculty actively trying to keep good people there, $25k research supplement to salary. Cons: Chicago strikes me a tougher city to live in, weather is slightly worse, possibly less prestigious name, seemingly less easy to do academic collaboration between Chicago universities.

Anyone have any experience or impression of these places in terms of pursuing a research career? Thanks very much!

Hi everyone,
Thank you guys for all the helpful posts in this thread and others so far.

There's a thread floating around saying some rather unflattering things about Mayo Clinic's Arizona branch, and I was wondering if someone could provide me some honest insight/opinions regarding Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville (be it personal experience or through-the-grapevine accounts). I like this program but want to make sure it doesn't have some of the same shortcomings as the Arizona branch. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
I had a question perhaps for the more seasoned forum-ers amongst you all, about ranking.

I am a non-US-IMG with a PhD with a strong interest in academic Heme/Onc. I most enjoyed my interviews at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and UChicago and am trying to decide what to rank 1 and 2. BID- pros: In Boston, seems like a nice European feeling city, prestigious Harvard name (I understand this matters down the line), great resources, can short track, multiple great local fellowships. Cons- being in a super competitive piraña pond of type A's and getting sort of lost in the hubbub, fellowship not guaranteed (but probable). UChicago- pros: Guaranteed fellowship, smaller program so great nurturing academic atmosphere with super high funding success rate, feeling of the faculty actively trying to keep good people there, $25k research supplement to salary. Cons: Chicago strikes me a tougher city to live in, weather is slightly worse, possibly less prestigious name, seemingly less easy to do academic collaboration between Chicago universities.

Anyone have any experience or impression of these places in terms of pursuing a research career? Thanks very much!

BIDMC>Chicago. BIDMC has the stronger match list and you can rotate at Dana farber. But if you prefer more security (though nothing is truly guaranteed), go Chicago.

Hello,

For all intents and purposes, a fellowship out of BIDMC is basically guaranteed. All else being equal, pick the program you feel more comfortable with. Name is equivocal. I personally think Chicago is an awesome city. Winter sucks but it does in Boston too. Go with the flow. Embrace the gut.

For all intents and purposes, a fellowship out of BIDMC is basically guaranteed. All else being equal, pick the program you feel more comfortable with. Name is equivocal. I personally think Chicago is an awesome city. Winter sucks but it does in Boston too. Go with the flow. Embrace the gut.

Thanks Newbie and Fast Eddie, I think I'm leaning more that way! I wonder if @gutonc has any Heme specific advice for me?

Which program to rank high? Einstein PA or Abington PA for Internal medicine residency and why? Really confused. Both look the same to me. Please I need honest opinion.

Which program to rank high? Einstein PA or Abington PA for Internal medicine residency and why? Really confused. Both look the same to me. Please I need honest opinion.
Einstein PA...because you can confuse people into thinking it's AECOM later on.

Einstein PA without a doubt. The fellowship matches are phenomenal. One of the most dedicated PDs you will find. 98% board pass rate over the last 14 years. And its in Philly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Einstein PA without a doubt. The fellowship matches are phenomenal. One of the most dedicated PDs you will find. 98% board pass rate over the last 14 years. And its in Philly.

Einstein PA fellowship match is actually much better than Montefiore with probably better clinical training. Just gets a bad rap as its IMG friendly and a community hospital.

As a former monte resident I find that hard to believe...both the fellowship match and clinical training. But believe whatever makes you sleep easier at night

The question wasn't Monte vs Einstein Philly though. Pay attention.

Of course it was another community program in PA. Was just responding to comment that Einstein Philly has better match and clinical training than monte, which for all the respect for Einstein philly I have, is patently objectively false.

Edit: the post has since been deleted but you catch my drift

Of course it was another community program in PA. Was just responding to comment that Einstein Philly has better match and clinical training than monte, which for all the respect for Einstein philly I have, is patently objectively false.

Oh yeah...I missed that part since it was deleted before I got there.

No disrespect intended towards Monte at all. This was honestly not directed at the Monte program in specific, but more just in response to gutonc's slightly tongue-in-cheek comment regarding Einstein PA being confused with AECOM. Just sticking up for a good Univ affiliated community IMG residency.

Fellowship matches just in the last 2 years:
GI: Hopkins, Emory, UF Gainesville, NIH (Hepatology)
Pulm: Cleveland, Stanford, Michigan, Temple
HemOnc: Cleveland, Michigan, Maryland
Cards: Emory Tufts UTH UK

I'd say its not better (hence edited), but I think they are comparable. (Unfortunately, Monte doesn't put yearly fellowship matches on the website.)

Last edited:
Pretty good matches for a community program punching above its weight.

No disrespect intended towards Monte at all. This was honestly not directed at the Monte program in specific, but more just in response to gutonc's slightly tongue-in-cheek comment regarding Einstein PA being confused with AECOM. Just sticking up for a good Univ affiliated community IMG residency.

Fellowship matches just in the last 2 years:
GI: Hopkins, Emory, UF Gainesville, NIH (Hepatology)
Pulm: Cleveland, Stanford, Michigan, Temple
HemOnc: Cleveland, Michigan, Maryland
Cards: Emory Tufts UTH UK

I'd say its not better (hence edited), but I think they are comparable. (Unfortunately, Monte doesn't put yearly fellowship matches on the website.)

I have the last two years I'll post them in a second. Also I assume more than 15 people applied for fellowship there the last 2 yrs...which would make your list quite cherrypicked

Monte fellowship match 2016

GI

Monte
NSLIJ
Downstate
U of Miami
Einstein Philly

Cards

Monte x 2
Drexel
Yale

Pulm/CC

Cornell

Hem/onc

Cornell x 2
MSKCC
NIH
Monte

ID

U of Washington
NIH

Rheum

NYU
Monte

Allergy

Monte
U of Rochester

Monte fellowship match 2015

ID

Yale

Onc
NYU
Yale
Cornell

Allergy
Hopkins
Columbia

Rheum
Cornell x 2
Mount Sinai
Columbia

Endocrine
Cornell
Ucla
Monte

Renal
Cornell

GI
Yale
Monte
Einstein Philly
Elmhurst (queens)
NY hosp of queens

Cards
NYU
Monte x 3
UC-Irvine
NSLIJ x 2
Methodist Brooklyn

These are complete lists BTW...

And as you may or may not know, there is a huge geographic bias here almost everyone stays in the NYC area

I have the last two years I'll post them in a second. Also I assume more than 15 people applied for fellowship there the last 2 yrs...which would make your list quite cherrypicked

Of course its cherrypicked. I just chose the top 3-4 for the big specialties for brevity. Here's the entire list from the website.

2017:
Cardiology University of Kentucky
Cardiology University of Texas, Houston ...
Cardiology Loma Linda University
Cardiology Einstein Medical Center (2)
Endocrinology Virginia Commonwealth University
Endocrinology Washington University, St. Louis
Gastroenterology Johns Hopkins University
Gastroenterology Emory University
Gastroenterology Einstein Medical Center (2)
Geriatrics Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Hematology Oncology Ohio State University
Hematology Oncology Medical College of Wisconsin
Hematology Oncology Cleveland Clinic
Hepatology National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Infectious Disease University of Maryland (2)
Infectious Disease Stanford University
Nephrology University of Pennsylvania
Pulmonary Critical Care University of Texas, Houston
Rheumatology Einstein Medical Center
Rheumatology University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

Two former residents will be getting additional fellowship training

Oncologic Endocrinology MD Anderson Cancer Center
Sleep Medicine Temple University

2016:

Cardiology
Tufts Medical Center
University of Florida
Emory University
Allegheny General Hospital

Gastroenterology University of Florida, Einstein Medical Center, Einstein Medical Center

Advanced GI Endoscopy Emory University

Hematology Oncology University of Michigan University of Maryland Orlando Health, Florida

Interventional Pulmonology University of Wisconsin

Pulmonary Critical Care University of Michigan Cleveland Clinic University of Alabama Stanford University Temple University

Rheumatology University of Washington at Seattle

Thanks whoknows2012 and congrats on your hemonc match!

Again, just to reiterate, this is more in support of Einstein Philly than anything else. I've seen SDN tends to talk down on programs because it is >5% IMG, rather than look at objective data.

Thanks whoknows2012 and congrats on your hemonc match!

Again, just to reiterate, this is more in support of Einstein Philly than anything else. I've seen SDN tends to talk down on programs because it is >5% IMG, rather than look at objective data.
And I was just joking.

Y'all need to chill.

And I was just joking.

Y'all need to chill.

Chilling:)

The only reason I bring it up is that this perception problem has actually translated into changes in the selection process. I have spoken to a few PDs and APDs of bigger univ programs who say the only reason they don't take more IMGs is that the perception of their program started to go down in the eyes of AMGs once they start to increase the IMG percentage, leading to better AMG's ranking their program lower (this is anecdotal obviously). It has also led to several programs interviewing IMGs on separate days than AMGs. I'm not blaming SDN exclusively, but would love this forum to start looking at things a bit more objectively.

Monte fellowship match 2016

And as you may or may not know, there is a huge geographic bias here almost everyone stays in the NYC area

Kind of similar to geographic bias, there is a visa bias for IMGs. Fellowship programs have to shell out a significant amount of money per year to recruit a resident on an H1B visa.

Again just putting things into perspective and trying to present objective data.

Last edited:
I interviewed this year at CC florida and liked it a lot. this hospital is a bit of an oddity. only 155 beds, currently under expansion to 250, but a gazillion specialties, including various types of transplants, in a pretty good neighborhood. You're not going to see a ton of the problems that county hospital residents become very familiar with... bad HIV, drug/etoh abuse, etc... but the IM board pass rate is outstanding. The attendings seem more committed than in hospitals in which I have previously interviewed and rotated.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on how significant hospital size and pathology exposure is for IM education. Is it more important to "see stuff" or "know stuff"?

They're not bad programs, just not really "Mayo" or "CCF" in anything other than name...and the name is basically a patient recruiting tool.

gutonc you said this in 2011 about it (yes, I do searches)... did you consider it to "not be bad" based on reputation, or had you just not heard anything bad about the program? Anything changed? I am a DO interested in PCCM and it may be a good idea to rank highly the programs with in-house fellowships.

Hi all....this ERAS has begun its second half and soon we will have to rank our preferred programs....I am having a hard time deciding between UPMC and UT Southwestern

I am an IMG and visa is an important consideration & almost everyone I know says I should go for an H1-B....I am not worried about fellowship, I think I can risk going for fellowship even on H1-B

So UTSW is an excellent program, superb training, amazing fellowship matches and everyone who graduates from the program has excellent clinical acumen and skills and never (almost never) doubt themselves in clinical settings, training is intensive, but I don't mind working in a busy hospital......but it only offers J1...plus I love Dallas, TX

UPMC....excellent reputation and name, again, top notch clinical training (although not 'as busy as UTSW') and even protected research curriculum in their IST track...definitely equal to (if not above) UTSW....and it offers H1-B.......and Pittsburgh is a beautiful city, although I liked Dallas a little more

Could you someone give me advice as to which should be my preference? My gut feeling gives UTSW perhaps 1 more point above UPMC and I would love to be at either places, but I don't know what I should do keeping in mind the visa subject.

Plus, can someone clarify which one is above rank wise? I have gotten mixed answers from different people.

Thank you.

You should've posted in the forum specific for the specialty you're applying to.

Word of advice: with those 2 choices and if I were an IMG, I'd pick which location I liked more over the other. Name is more or less a wash. If you want to be on the east coast for fellowship, choose Pitt. If the South, choose Dallas.

Hi all....this ERAS has begun its second half and soon we will have to rank our preferred programs....I am having a hard time deciding between UPMC and UT Southwestern

I am an IMG and visa is an important consideration & almost everyone I know says I should go for an H1-B....I am not worried about fellowship, I think I can risk going for fellowship even on H1-B

So UTSW is an excellent program, superb training, amazing fellowship matches and everyone who graduates from the program has excellent clinical acumen and skills and never (almost never) doubt themselves in clinical settings, training is intensive, but I don't mind working in a busy hospital......but it only offers J1...plus I love Dallas, TX

UPMC....excellent reputation and name, again, top notch clinical training (although not 'as busy as UTSW') and even protected research curriculum in their IST track...definitely equal to (if not above) UTSW....and it offers H1-B.......and Pittsburgh is a beautiful city, although I liked Dallas a little more

Could you someone give me advice as to which should be my preference? My gut feeling gives UTSW perhaps 1 more point above UPMC and I would love to be at either places, but I don't know what I should do keeping in mind the visa subject.

Plus, can someone clarify which one is above rank wise? I have gotten mixed answers from different people.

Thank you.

Depends on which residency you're talking about -- if it's family medicine, stay the hell away from UTSW. Me too program that fails to fill on a regular basis for good reason. If it's IM, that's a great program -- heavy on ICU the first year but you come out of intern year being an IM stud who knows which end is up. Almost every program other than FM is great at UTSW.

Depends on which residency you're talking about -- if it's family medicine, stay the hell away from UTSW. Me too program that fails to fill on a regular basis for good reason. If it's IM, that's a great program -- heavy on ICU the first year but you come out of intern year being an IM stud who knows which end is up. Almost every program other than FM is great at UTSW.

Thanks so much....I am talking about IM.

In your opinion, which one is superior? UPMC or UTSW? I know they're both good but which one is above?

In your opinion, which one is superior? UPMC or UTSW? I know they're both good but which one is above?

I know nothing of UPMC. UTSW has several Nobel prizes to its credit, several world recognized experts that still teach residents and the IM residency is top notch. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone IM at the urging of my MS3 preceptor.....

As mentioned, both are great solid training programs and you really can't go wrong with either one. The whole visa thing and the city would probably be the deciding factors for me. If it means anything to you, I look back fondly on my times at Parkland despite the many many occasions that I wanted to crap in my pants

Reactions: 1 users
I had a question regarding the following programs that constitute the major academic programs that I interviewed at. I'm leaning GI at the moment but wouldn't be surprised if that changed over the course of residency. Thanks in advance. What are peoples impressions regarding the strength of these internal medicine residencies, quality of GI matches, ability to stay for fellowship, etc?

Northwestern
Univ. of Chicago
Michigan
Yale
Pittsburgh
Mayo

Michigan, Pitt,and mayo are powerhouses. UofC is as well to some extent, but has intracity competition.

None of the programs you named will hold you back. Pick between the Bentley or the Rolls Royce.

UTSW>UPMC

I had a question regarding the following programs that constitute the major academic programs that I interviewed at. I'm leaning GI at the moment but wouldn't be surprised if that changed over the course of residency. Thanks in advance. What are peoples impressions regarding the strength of these internal medicine residencies, quality of GI matches, ability to stay for fellowship, etc?

Northwestern
Univ. of Chicago
Michigan
Yale
Pittsburgh
Mayo

I would put UPMC and Mayo slightly below the other programs and I would put Michigan at the top followed by Northwestern. However, the differences are minor and you should go with what feels best.

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get your opinion on how to possibly rank some academic programs. I am a PhD to MD (basic science) with an interest in an academic cardiology career, so really looking for a place that has strong research in my current field of study and strong clinical cardiology training. I have narrowed my list to the following programs based primarily on a good fit with my current and past research field (not certain about cardiology reputation):

Emory - both ABIM or categorical
"Real" Case Western - both ABIM or categorical
UAB - both ABIM or categorical
UT Houston - categorical, with option to transition to ABIM or attempt match at Texas Heart for fellowship

Thank you all for your comments. Please tell me how is suny downstate IM program. I know I have read lots of negative things about it. Is it worse than queens hospital mount sinai too?

Hey Guys,

Wanted to get your opinion on how to possibly rank some academic programs. I am a PhD to MD (basic science) with an interest in an academic cardiology career, so really looking for a place that has strong research in my current field of study and strong clinical cardiology training. I have narrowed my list to the following programs based primarily on a good fit with my current and past research field (not certain about cardiology reputation):

UT Houston - categorical, with option to transition to ABIM or attempt match at Texas Heart for fellowship

Just from a general reputation standpoint alone, the first 3 have more bang for your buck than UT Houston

Saw a post over 10 years ago comparing the LA internal medicine (IM) programs, thought would give my 2 cents now that many things have changed...

Original post in 2007 by bonovox...

"Hey, how do these UCLA affiliates compare in terms of:
1. Clinical training
2. Reputation
3. Location
4. "Malignant" or not
5. Fellowship placement (particularly cards)
6. Anything else that would make one choose one over the other two."

Here are your top 2 residency programs in LA.

UCLA-Olive View
1. No doubt the most outstanding clinical training programs of all IM residency in LA, most notably for its horizontal, friendly learning environment. Underserved focused in County training environment. (20-30% clinical experience on MICU/CCU/Wards/Geriatrics at sister institutions at UCLA Ronald Reagan and the VA)
2. A UCLA program
3. Sylmar, California. Beautiful hiking trails and basketball court around campus site. Surprisingly hole-in-the-wall restaurants around the cities from campus. Zen room with free massage for residents/faculty definite a plus.
4. Malignant level - 6-7/10, good balance between life-style and true residency training
5. Outstanding match - mostly intramural at UCLA
6. If you are interest to become master clinician, change leaders for healthcare disparity, UCLA Olive View is your ideal residency in LA

UCLA-Ronald Reagan
1. No doubt the most outstanding physician scientist training programs of all IM residency in LA, most notably for its academic, University based training. Has VA affiliation. (20-30% clinical experience on Wards/Urgent Care at sister institution at UCLA Olive View)
2. A UCLA program
3. Westwood, California. Westwood and close by cities is awesome for everything from nightlife, food, etc. Most expensive place to live in however among all LA residency training programs.
4. Malignant level - 8-9/10, it's residency.... life is tough...
5. Outstanding match - mostly intramural at UCLA
6. If you are interested to become leaders as physician scientist, be involved in cutting edge research, UCLA Ronald Reagan is your ideal residency in LA

Harbor UCLA - arguably the best County training programs 30 years ago, but the pendulum may have shifted to UCLA-Olive View. Harbor is no longer a UCLA affiliated program, a pure County hospital that is transitioning from a chaotic past. Still very solid clinical training. Malignant level 9-10/10

Other notable LA programs:
Cedars Sinai
- A very good medicine residency program, notable for its cardiology and transplant department. No longer affiliated with the VA as UCLA programs took over the training ground. Malignant level 4-5/10
Kaiser LA - Excellence healthcare system, good training. arguably the most life-style oriented program. Malignant level 3-4/10
USC - A very good medicine residency program, notably for its underserved County focused. Has a very strong ER residency presence. Malignant level 6-10/10

Last edited:
^solid first three posts...must come with that great name you have too

I interviewed this year at CC florida and liked it a lot. this hospital is a bit of an oddity. only 155 beds, currently under expansion to 250, but a gazillion specialties, including various types of transplants, in a pretty good neighborhood. You're not going to see a ton of the problems that county hospital residents become very familiar with... bad HIV, drug/etoh abuse, etc... but the IM board pass rate is outstanding. The attendings seem more committed than in hospitals in which I have previously interviewed and rotated.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on how significant hospital size and pathology exposure is for IM education. Is it more important to "see stuff" or "know stuff"?

gutonc you said this in 2011 about it (yes, I do searches)... did you consider it to "not be bad" based on reputation, or had you just not heard anything bad about the program? Anything changed? I am a DO interested in PCCM and it may be a good idea to rank highly the programs with in-house fellowships.
any updates on CCF?

Wondering if anyone had any updated thoughts or experiences on some programs? Thank youuu

USC-Palmetto
Greenville
Mt Sinai - Miami
Texas A&M
Medical College of Georgia
UConn
UNM
Drexel

any info on Uconn?

Pretty humble list compared to you rockstars with top 20 programs, but I'm looking for some insight to help me rank.
US-IMG interested in pursuing a cards fellowship after medicine.

- Cleveland Clinic
- UMass
- Drexel
- UConn
- Georgetown
- UT Houston

-> I had a good feeling about UMass and Drexel, the latter because of pathology and location. Georgetown interviewed well but the program had pretty glaring deficiencies like the archaic EMR. Still have not IV'd at UT, UConn, and CCF yet.
I'd prefer to stay in the northeast due to family reasons but am not opposed to moving.
Thoughts on the above programs? Thanks!

have you heard anything about Uconn and CCF?

Super detailed thank you! I'm weighing those two programs heavily right now (yet to interview there).

Can you (or anyone else) weigh on in UMass? That rounds out my top three really and I was hoping to get some insight before interviewing.
Thanks in advance.

I heard somewhere that drexel is for profit therefore the 10 year loan repayment program does not kick in during residency.

Hey Guys,

As a current med-peds resident at Case (with no interest in Cardiology), I can tell you that I love this program, its residents, and especially our IM PD (who will likely never retire until he dies, which I also don't think he will ever do). The cardiology program is definitely strong, but as someone more interested in GI, it's hard for me to evaluate it.

Why do some fellowship programs barely take any of their own internal residents, provided the associated IM program is pretty strong? Is this a red flag?

Why do some fellowship programs barely take any of their own internal residents, provided the associated IM program is pretty strong? Is this a red flag?

Need more info. Is it a super competitive fellowship? How many spots do they have? For the fellowship program you speak of? Barely is also subjective is it 1-2/yr or some years none??