Program-Specific Info / Q's Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToleteDPT94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I decided to create this community, to connect to those who are also applying to SUNY DOWNSTATE 2017 regarding the application process, interview process ( for those who get that far!) and hopefully the acceptance process!!
Hopefully this forum can be a blessing and a form of guidance to current applicants and even future applicants
I wanted to start a thread for others who are applying. Perhaps we can share tips, questions, stats, etc.
Undergrad: 3.370
Current pre-req GPA: 3.740
Current science pre-req GPA: 3.540
Observation hours: 210 (160 inpatient, 50 outpatient)
Work experiences: Clinical aid ( 1150+ hours)
Acceptance:
Interviews:

UPDATE: I received an email YESTERDAY about going in for an interview next week! I Will let you all know how it goes and what to expect. I hope all goes well for the rest of you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! I am a re-applicant to SUNY Downstate:

Undergrad: 3.01 (yeah, not the best, but I can't change that now)
Pre-req GPA: 3.60
Observation hours: 300+
combined in special education public school, out-patient hospital, and SNF. I will be starting new observation hours at an early intervention clinic this Monday.

When I applied last year I had not completed my prerequisites and I only had one volunteer experience (at the public school). I'm hoping that these improvements help. I'm also applying to eleven schools this time, vs. three (from last year). It's such a nerve-racking experience especially considering I was rejected last year.

Hi guys! I'm applying to OT programs for the first time. I'm graduating in Spring 2017. SUNY Downstate is my first choice, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Undergrad: 3.98
Pre-req GPA: 4.00
Observation hours: 185

My application currently says "Forwarded to Admissions Committee for Review." It's been like that for a while too. I submitted my app on October 3rd.

UPDATE: I received an email today about going in for an interview next week! I hope all goes well for the rest of you too. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Also applying to Downstate OT for the first time and it's my first choice.

Undergrad: 3.15
Overall: 3.59
Prerequisite gpa: 3.63
Observation hours: 54

My application also says "Forwarded to Admissions Committee for Review." I submitted on October 29.
Good luck to all!

Hi guys! I'm applying to OT programs for the first time. I'm graduating in Spring 2017. SUNY Downstate is my first choice, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Undergrad: 3.98
Pre-req GPA: 4.00
Observation hours: 185

My application currently says "Forwarded to Admissions Committee for Review." It's been like that for a while too. I submitted my app on October 3rd.

UPDATE: I received an email today about going in for an interview next week! I hope all goes well for the rest of you too. :)
hey, how did you interview go?

hey, how did you interview go?

Hi! My interview is tomorrow. I'm nervous, but I received some great tips from a friend who just finished his first year in the program. If anyone wants some tips/advice, I'll be happy to share. :)

Hi! My interview is tomorrow. I'm nervous, but I received some great tips from a friend who just finished his first year in the program. If anyone wants some tips/advice, I'll be happy to share. :)
yes
mine is Saturday !
who are u interviewing with

Hi everyone! I applied back in mid-October but my application status has said "forwarded to committee for review" since November 1st. I'm really worried that I haven't heard anything yet! :( I understand that this program is highly competitive but I thought my profile would for sure give me at least an interview. I'm wondering when their first rounds of interviews were?
Here are some of my stats
Undergrad GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
Observation Hours: Approximately 350 hours, plus had a paid job in a relevant setting giving me an additional 180+ hours

I wish all of you the best of luck! Hopefully we all get good news.

Happy new year! I got invited today to interview this weekend. Wondering what tips anyone has? Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I applied back in mid-October but my application status has said "forwarded to committee for review" since November 1st. I'm really worried that I haven't heard anything yet! :( I understand that this program is highly competitive but I thought my profile would for sure give me at least an interview. I'm wondering when their first rounds of interviews were?
Here are some of my stats
Undergrad GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
Observation Hours: Approximately 350 hours, plus had a paid job in a relevant setting giving me an additional 180+ hours

I wish all of you the best of luck! Hopefully we all get good news.

Hi! I think they're starting most of their interviews this month, but I was told interviews could be going on for the next 2-3 months. You still have time to hear from them. I was also told that I will be hearing back from them for an acceptance/rejection by the end of the month or beginning of February. Best of luck to you!

Happy new year! I got invited today to interview this weekend. Wondering what tips anyone has? Good luck!!

Hi! I'll be glad to give you some tips, or rather what happened in my interview. Basically, my interviewer asked a lot about what I specifically saw and did in my observations. You could also be asked have you had any leadership roles, describe a challenge you faced, what are your study habits, why OT, etc. Hopefully this is helpful!

Hi everyone!!! I just got accepted into SUNY Downstate a few minutes ago! I'm crying so much haha good luck everyone and I hope you hear from them very soon!!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone!!! I just got accepted into SUNY Downstate a few minutes ago! I'm crying so much haha good luck everyone and I hope you hear from them very soon!!!!!
Congratulations! I got an email saying my decision was ready and was scared it was a denial because I haven't been invited for an interview yet, but they said it was a mistake so the hope isn't dead yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! I got an email saying my decision was ready and was scared it was a denial because I haven't been invited for an interview yet, but they said it was a mistake so the hope isn't dead yet!

Same thing happened to me! Congrats melielucky!

Congrats Mel!!!! You will be an excellent addition to their outstanding program!
I should hear back soon!

Whoops, I am not forum savvy. Wanted to say the same thing happened to me, not exactly the high point of my day;)

Congratulations!! I would be doing the same! Wondering if you have any advice concerning the interview?

I rec'd my acceptance as well ! Now I'm trying to figure out whether to complete my StonyBrook app or not .. I just paid for it two days ago :/

Reactions: 1 users
I had an interview January 15th and thought it went really well. I also got an email saying my admission decision was ready to view and then received another email stating it was a mistake. I really hope to hear a final decision soon. It is one of my top schools. LostOT, when did you receive your acceptance?

Congratulations!!! I am nervous that I received that email and it is not a good sign although I read it happened to someone else. I am really hoping to hear something soon.

I rec'd my acceptance as well ! Now I'm trying to figure out whether to complete my StonyBrook app or not .. I just paid for it two days ago :/
Congrats!!!
But that's a tough call. If you're considering other schools, then do it. But if you want to go to Downstate, I say don't complete the app lol

Congrats!!!
But that's a tough call. If you're considering other schools, then do it. But if you want to go to Downstate, I say don't complete the app lol
Thanks, I'm pretty set on Downstate but it's just tragic that I paid $140+$75 for Stonybrook App literally a day ago and today for the supplemental fee... it's that 'I already paid for it' mentality but I would have to do more supplemental essays.

On another note, have you clicked the links provided in the acceptance email? Idk how to login the admission checklist page, and the financial aid page doesn't show me a package or anything

Thanks, I'm pretty set on Downstate but it's just tragic that I paid $140+$75 for Stonybrook App literally a day ago and today for the supplemental fee... it's that 'I already paid for it' mentality but I would have to do more supplemental essays.

On another note, have you clicked the links provided in the acceptance email? Idk how to login the admission checklist page, and the financial aid page doesn't show me a package or anything
Oh wow why is their app so expensive. But I understand what you mean, I would feel the same way.
I haven't clicked anything yet besides the decision link. I will check in a couple of minutes.

Hey everyone the same thing happened to me with the email! I received that email too stating the decision can be viewed and then received another email stating it was an error. I got so scared! Haha. I'm hoping this isn't a bad sign and that there's hope still. Hoping we all hear back soon though! I'm so nervous I really want to get into SUNY downstate as well! Congrats to those who got accepted! :)

same thing happened to me with the email stating it was an error!!!! that is so messed up

QUESTION
for those who received the email stating "it was an error." When did you guys have your interview??

QUESTION
for those who received the email stating "it was an error." When did you guys have your interview??
Hi, I had my interview jan 12th. When was yours? It was so messed up of them to do that whole error email thing :/

I had my interview January 15th. I am really hoping to hear something after this error email

Well when I got the first email about being able to view my decision and then saw that my status said "forwarded to admissions committee" I called the secretary in the OT dept and she said your app is still under review and the 2nd email for the error message was sent in true error. My guess is since they have started to make decisions they are still really thinking of who to accept since it's such a small class size!

The secretary didn't give me a definite answer as to why they sent that error email besides the fact that it was a true error smh

urgh...thats so unprofessional

I received the error email too, and interviewed on Jan 4. Really hoping for good news soon!!

Hi everyone! I have an interview scheduled for this week and I am getting nervous, does anyone have tips for the interview/essay. Thanks!

c
Hi everyone! I have an interview scheduled for this week and I am getting nervous, does anyone have tips for the interview/essay. Thanks!
certainly!
Starting with the basics ( interview 101):
Great Posture + Eye contact
Speak with passion and certainty!
Dont give generic responses to any question! Try to be detailed with everything you say.
With every questions they ask, the interviewer wants to detect several things. ( What makes you stand out, what are your best qualities, how can your life experience along with OT related experience make you the best candidate for their program) YOU will be fine!

Last edited:
c

certainly!
Starting with the basics ( interview 101):
Great Posture + Eye contact
Speak with passion and certainty!
Dont give generic responses to any question! Try to be detailed with everything you say.
With every questions they ask, the interviewer wants to detect several things. ( What makes you stand out, what are your best qualities, how can your life experience along with OT related experience make you the best candidate for their program) YOU will be fine!
Thank you!!

Hi everyone! I was accepted Thursday after receiving an e-mail that my decision was ready. I was interviewed 01/15.

The essay involved reading an article about OT practices and summarizing the information. The article had a lot of information and my advice would be to give an example or two for each point without restating everything.

For the interview, along with the basic interview stuff mentioned before, I would suggest thinking about your resume / OT volunteer hours and try to remember details about each of your sites. My interviewer asked me specifically about each site and how I thought the OT(s) there were helping the patients. Maybe think about some of the exercises, interventions, tools, techniques, etc you observed. They also ask about leadership roles you've had, challenges an OT might face, and obviously why OT. Relax, be yourself, and smile/laugh when appropriate haha.

Good luck everyone!