Program-Specific Info / Q's Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sure, it was a question about one of my volunteer activities that wasn't OT related...something based off my resume they had more interest in/wanted to know more about I guess and told me to expand more about what I did with that activity.
Thanks so much for the info & congrats on getting accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Don't worry I was in the same position as you but keep your faith and positivity up - don't lose hope I'm sure you'll hear some good news soon!
Thank you! I applied to NYU, Columbia, SUNY Downstate, Kean and Seton Hall

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, and congrats to all who made Downstate! I just found this forum, and had my interview today with Joan Murray, a professor who was really nice, and I think it went really well. She asked a lot of specific questions about my past experiences and what I've learned from them and what I'll take from them with me, and said students should hear back at the latest between mid-March - early April. She said if you made it to the interview, you've got about half a chance of making it since they receive so many qualified applicants, but they're still interviewing through the month.

For those of you who interviewed, how long did it last? I took about 25-30 mins on the essay, and then we talked for a full hour and wrapped up, so in total it was 1.5 hours. Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, and congrats to all who made Downstate! I just found this forum, and had my interview today with Joan Murray, a professor who was really nice, and I think it went really well. She asked a lot of specific questions about my past experiences and what I've learned from them and what I'll take from them with me, and said students should hear back at the latest between mid-March - early April. She said if you made it to the interview, you've got about half a chance of making it since they receive so many qualified applicants, but they're still interviewing through the month.

For those of you who interviewed, how long did it last? I took about 25-30 mins on the essay, and then we talked for a full hour and wrapped up, so in total it was 1.5 hours. Thanks!!

I just interviewed this morning with Dr. Desport. They put me in an office room by myself to write the essay and didn't tell me how long I had or how long it should take, so I took my time and wrote a draft on some scratch paper I brought. Then about 45 min in, the interviewer came in and said I needed to go with her now even though I was in the middle of my last sentence... She said I already got longer than they usually allow (though I didn't know that). I'm afraid that might hurt me. But the question part went really well and probably took just under an hour (maybe 50 minutes). Good luck!

Also, a HUGE thank you to everyone who posted what kind of questions you were asked--it was immensely helpful!

Last edited:

Mine was also around the same time as yours, slightly longer! I had about 30 mins for the essay and about an hour and 15/20 for the actual interview. The questions were similar to yours and I also had Richard Sabel ask me stuff in terms of diversity and culture, which I thought was interesting! But suny downstate is big about a diverse student pool so guessing that's why he talked about it. He was really nice. Good luck to you!

My interview is in the evening and I have seen some posts referencing the neighborhood as unsafe. Should I have any concerns about walking to the subway after my interview?

My interview is in the evening and I have seen some posts referencing the neighborhood as unsafe. Should I have any concerns about walking to the subway after my interview?
I personally don't think it's that bad. It was dark when I was heading back uptown, and I forgot where the entrance to the subway was. I asked a person for directions and she was nice enough to point me in the right direction. Just make sure you know where you're going prior to going home.

Mine was also around the same time as yours, slightly longer! I had about 30 mins for the essay and about an hour and 15/20 for the actual interview. The questions were similar to yours and I also had Richard Sabel ask me stuff in terms of diversity and culture, which I thought was interesting! But suny downstate is big about a diverse student pool so guessing that's why he talked about it. He was really nice. Good luck to you!
Thanks so much, and congrats on your acceptance :)

I personally don't think it's that bad. It was dark when I was heading back uptown, and I forgot where the entrance to the subway was. I asked a person for directions and she was nice enough to point me in the right direction. Just make sure you know where you're going prior to going home.
Thank you! I had my interview yesterday and felt fine walking to the subway, too. :)

Hi,

So I interviewed February 15, and just got my acceptance letter today! I'm so excited, and looking forward to meeting those of you who will be my classmates :) can't wait, and good luck to everyone who is still interviewing!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, all! I got an acceptance letter, too, but I'm trying to decide if it would be a good idea since the out of state tuition would be so crazy expensive.
In any case, I wanted to say thank you again to everyone who posted about their interview experiences and the questions asked because there's no way I could have done it without you!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

So I interviewed February 15, and just got my acceptance letter today! I'm so excited, and looking forward to meeting those of you who will be my classmates :) can't wait, and good luck to everyone who is still interviewing!
Hi, all! I got an acceptance letter, too, but I'm trying to decide if it would be a good idea since the out of state tuition would be so crazy expensive.
In any case, I wanted to say thank you again to everyone who posted about their interview experiences and the questions asked because there's no way I could have done it without you!
Awesome! Congrats guys!! :soexcited:

Waiting to hear back still... the waiting game is torture :scared:

Does anyone know if/when they stop interviewing people? I still haven't gotten an interview, but I haven't been rejected either.

Has anyone been rejected yet? I interviewed early January and still haven't heard anything.

Has anyone had any luck calling about the status of your application?

Has anyone been rejected yet? I interviewed early January and still haven't heard anything.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't heard anything yet and interviewed January 15th.

I have not been interviewed or rejected and applied in November, I reached out today and asked them if they wanted an updated transcript and sent a blog post about my volunteer experience. I don't have any expectations of getting accepted at this point—womp womp. :dead:

I have not been interviewed or rejected and applied in November, I reached out today and asked them if they wanted an updated transcript and sent a blog post about my volunteer experience. I don't have any expectations of getting accepted at this point—womp womp. :dead:

What did they say when you called them? Did you ask them if they are still interviewing?

I ended up reaching out to them and I heard the following:
1. There is no set date for when they stop interviewing. Apparently, you can be interviewed the week before the program starts if people decide not to come etc.
2. I should be receiving an update about my application status within the next 1-3 weeks

Basically, a lot more waiting

Hey guys,

I got waitlisted on March 8. Crossing my fingers HARD to get off of it. Congratulations to those of you who got in!!!!!

There's a 50/50 chance I won't be able to go, so that's one spot that might open! I'll try to figure it out as soon as I can!

For those of you who got in, has your checklist been updated? Mine is still missing a bunch of stuff that I know I sent in already, but I can't get the admissions department to respond to me.

For those of you who have attended this program, how challenging is the curriculum?I know it's different for everyone, but what was your take? Was it "kill me" hard/busy/crazy or manageable?

There's a 50/50 chance I won't be able to go, so that's one spot that might open! I'll try to figure it out as soon as I can!

For those of you who got in, has your checklist been updated? Mine is still missing a bunch of stuff that I know I sent in already, but I can't get the admissions department to respond to me.

For those of you who have attended this program, how challenging is the curriculum?I know it's different for everyone, but what was your take? Was it "kill me" hard/busy/crazy or manageable?

Omg I haven't gotten anyone to respond to me recently. At first, admissions was good at responding. Student Health responded once. But now that things are a bit crazier, no one has been responding! I had to take a step further and email the assistant dean who said the checklist should be updated by March 20th. I have checks on everything except the Baccalaureate Verified and the Health stuff.

Omg I haven't gotten anyone to respond to me recently. At first, admissions was good at responding. Student Health responded once. But now that things are a bit crazier, no one has been responding! I had to take a step further and email the assistant dean who said the checklist should be updated by March 20th. I have checks on everything except the Baccalaureate Verified and the Health stuff.

I am having the same exact issue! I got an email saying I have to show proof of baccalaureate before May 5th, yet I graduate towards the end of May. I also handed in all of my health forms on March 10th, and it is not checked on my checklist! Student health does not answer to my emails about this so its been stressful.

I am having the same exact issue! I got an email saying I have to show proof of baccalaureate before May 5th, yet I graduate towards the end of May. I also handed in all of my health forms on March 10th, and it is not checked on my checklist! Student health does not answer to my emails about this so its been stressful.

Same boat over here. I can't get student health to answer emails and my info still shows as missing. My criminal background check is still missing, too. Is yours?

Has anyone tried to register even if your checklist isn't complete?

The only department I've actually been able to get quick responses from is the Bursar's Office ([email protected]), so maybe we should start directing all questions to them. :)

Same boat over here. I can't get student health to answer emails and my info still shows as missing. My criminal background check is still missing, too. Is yours?

Has anyone tried to register even if your checklist isn't complete?

The only department I've actually been able to get quick responses from is the Bursar's Office ([email protected]), so maybe we should start directing all questions to them. :)

Some of my health stuff is checked, but some are still missing because I'm still getting them done. My background check is checked too. Did you email a copy of the report to admissions?

I haven't tried registering because I know I won't be able to until everything is complete. :/

Some of my health stuff is checked, but some are still missing because I'm still getting them done. My background check is checked too. Did you email a copy of the report to admissions?

I haven't tried registering because I know I won't be able to until everything is complete. :/

Did you e-mail your health stuff to student health or did you have it mailed? I also haven't tried registering. I am missing my health clearance (which I e-mailed this week), but I have the criminal background check and most of the other stuff checked as well.

Did you e-mail your health stuff to student health or did you have it mailed? I also haven't tried registering. I am missing my health clearance (which I e-mailed this week), but I have the criminal background check and most of the other stuff checked as well.
I emailed my stuff to student health. I did try registering yesterday, but it wouldn't go through because it said I had a hold on my record, so that's that. Here's to hoping they figure it out before the 3/31 deadline! (It's really fun to keep receiving "reminder! Don't forget to turn all your stuff in!" email in the meantime.

I accidentally mailed them in weeks ago but they did receive it. I just forgot to do some lab work so I'm waiting on those results then I will email them in this time. I guess they are quite busy, so that's why it's taking them some time.

I emailed my stuff to student health. I did try registering yesterday, but it wouldn't go through because it said I had a hold on my record, so that's that. Here's to hoping they figure it out before the 3/31 deadline! (It's really fun to keep receiving "reminder! Don't forget to turn all your stuff in!" email in the meantime.

hahaha those emails irritate me! I'm like YES I KNOW, I'm waiting on you to look over my stuff! I received an email saying any outstanding requirements must be fulfilled by May 5th. Where did yours say 3/31?

hahaha those emails irritate me! I'm like YES I KNOW, I'm waiting on you to look over my stuff! I received an email saying any outstanding requirements must be fulfilled by May 5th. Where did yours say 3/31?
Oh, in registration emails, they say that registration closes 3/31 and doesn't reopen again until 4/17.

Oh, in registration emails, they say that registration closes 3/31 and doesn't reopen again until 4/17.

It is completely fine if we miss early regristration. I spoke to someone and he said that we will just have to register during the "second phase", which starts April 17th.

Just an update, my checklist was updated. They said I am missing a few health forms which I will hand in and proof of baccalaureate. Does anyone else graduate this semester?

It is completely fine if we miss early regristration. I spoke to someone and he said that we will just have to register during the "second phase", which starts April 17th.

Just an update, my checklist was updated. They said I am missing a few health forms which I will hand in and proof of baccalaureate. Does anyone else graduate this semester?

I graduate this semester! May 21st actually so I don't think I'll be able to verify by the May 5th date?

I graduate this semester! May 21st actually so I don't think I'll be able to verify by the May 5th date?

They finally got back to me! Apparently we have to contact our own school's regristrar and have them write a letter stating that we will be graduatig but the proof will come towards the end of May.

They finally got back to me! Apparently we have to contact our own school's regristrar and have them write a letter stating that we will be graduatig but the proof will come towards the end of May.

Yes, exactly. I graduate on June 1st (crazy how we start on May 31st, so close), and I e-mailed them a copy of the letter to give a grace period to prove my bachelors.

Has anyone been having difficulties accessing the checklist recently? I attempt to login and it just 'refreshes' and clears my login info.

i got rejected after my interview

I just found out that my application has been rejected. :( This was my top choice. Good luck to all who are still waiting or accepted!

On Monday, I was invited to interview next week. So I guess they're still looking...

Were you just e-mailed? Haha. No, I haven't been cleared! It's frustrating.

Did you hand in all of your health forms? Because I did but I apparently did the wrong blood work for one form so I have one item left to clear.