private practice owners and partners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cozell

Busy with College
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simply out of curiosity. I have searched these forums and didnt really find an answer to these question if this has been answered thoroughly I appologize

I would like to know what the day to day life is of a Podiatrist in private practice is (any geographic region you can give input on)

1. How many patients are seen a day

2. How long it takes to become partner or owner

3. How much a owner or partner could expect to make (I've heard about associates but not owners/partners) and once again any region area that Maybe a DPM could give there insight on I know there are plenty of variables but just a "for instance even" would help.

I plan to shadow soon, Any information stories/insight into private practice will be appreciated thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Simply out of curiosity. I have searched these forums and didnt really find an answer to these question if this has been answered thoroughly I appologize

I would like to know what the day to day life is of a Podiatrist in private practice is (any geographic region you can give input on)

1. How many patients are seen a day

2. How long it takes to become partner or owner

3. How much a owner or partner could expect to make (I've heard about associates but not owners/partners) and once again any region area that Maybe a DPM could give there insight on I know there are plenty of variables but just a "for instance even" would help.

I plan to shadow soon, Any information stories/insight into private practice will be appreciated thanks everyone.

As a partner in a large, multi doctor, multi office practice, I can tell you that there is no answer to your questions.

1) The amount of patients seen per day will vary from practice to practice and will vary depending on the type of patients seen, the complexity, how much help you have (assistants), and a host of other factors. In OUR practice, we average 6 patients an hour per doctor. One of my partners saw 61 patients yesterday. Most were not complicated, but that's still a large number of patients. I sometimes see less, because I perform very little routine/palliative care and I see a significant amount of new patients per day which is a little more time consuming.

2) There really is no average that I'm aware of to become a partner/shareholder. I've seen it happen in as little as one year and have known docs who have worked for 10-15 years and are still not vested in the practice. However, that should generally be discussed at the time of the original contract, though it's often hard to know if the time originally discussed will be realistic.

3) Again, the amount of income is all over place, from under $100,000 to seven figures.

I know that you requested an answer despite all the variables you've anticipated, but then the answer wouldn't be honest. It's like asking, "how much could I expect to pay for a new car". Yes, you can average out the costs of all cars and give you a number, but that would really not be helpful.

Every practice and every situation really does vary, so I'm sorry if my answer is not what you are looking for, but it IS an honest answer.

Hey thanks alot PADPM, some parts of that answer was just what i was looking for but i mean I guess what I was asking (because IK it can vary widely) was more of how much did you pay for your new car. If that makes any sense like from your experience how much do partners make ,, from your experience how many patients do they see(you answered this) what do you generally do each new patient visit(IK this varies),

I also mentioned the day to day aspect but didnt number it but I know that can be hard to explain also. Im just thirsting for information. I want to shadow and see these answers In person but im unsure of the best way to request a shadowing opportunity + i have to wait a few weeks until I would have the free time.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with PADPM. There's no way to answer accurately. Your question is basically asking, "How much work does a business owner do, how long does it take to become a business owner, and how much does a business owner make?" It depends...

Edit: I got the answer! "My car cost more than most people's car but not as much as some people's car."

I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but most folks won't readily give out the specific numbers about their business on a pubic forum like this. It's privileged information. The Podiatry Management magazine annual practice survey might give you some averages though.

Last edited:
ewwww I didnt know this was a pubic forum:)

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

Yea thats brand new to me to lol,,

But at any rate I get where you guys are coming from with the confidentiality. But to Natch (And Im not asking this just stating) I was not trying to find out how much every pod everywhere makes all the time. I was simply trying to find out a for instance like if you asked me "from your experience cozell how much is a candy bar" I would say "well Natch thats impossible to answer because candy bars have diff tax amounts" //No I would say " candy bars in my area cost about 1.49 for a king size and a dollar for a regular" granted there are a variety of candy bars with Diff values but You get my drift.

PADPM gave me some insight without opening his production documents (I dont want to infringe on privacy) And that Is some of just what I was looking for much appreciated. But yeah I get what you guys are saying though.

Sorry if that got lengthy.

Anyone with a computer and internet connection can read this forum. Check out the Dr. Scholl's custom fit orthotics thread. Nearly 180,000 views, probably not all from podiatrists.

Yea thats brand new to me to lol,,

But at any rate I get where you guys are coming from with the confidentiality. But to Natch (And Im not asking this just stating) I was not trying to find out how much every pod everywhere makes all the time. I was simply trying to find out a for instance like if you asked me "from your experience cozell how much is a candy bar" I would say "well Natch thats impossible to answer because candy bars have diff tax amounts" //No I would say " candy bars in my area cost about 1.49 for a king size and a dollar for a regular" granted there are a variety of candy bars with Diff values but You get my drift.

PADPM gave me some insight without opening his production documents (I dont want to infringe on privacy) And that Is some of just what I was looking for much appreciated. But yeah I get what you guys are saying though.

Sorry if that got lengthy.

Keep in mind that PADPM's practice is probably on the high end of the bell curve. See if you can dig up a recent Podiatry Management practice survey for more data.

Keep in mind that PADPM's practice is probably on the high end of the bell curve. See if you can dig up a recent Podiatry Management practice survey for more data.

Ok will do much appreciated. And RockFoot was not using the word PUBIC (hence the eeew) to the same defintion you used it for (Public) which was obviously a Typo but Im sure you knew that:idea:.
Thanks guys.

Ha! I missed my typo. Too funny.