Private Practice docs and the new rules on skin subs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billBOB213

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Admittedly I don't bill for these as I am at an FQHC that doesn't pay for them (btw, if anyone who does work at an FQ knows how to get them paid for pls DM me), but these new policies on skin subs will most likely have some big consequences for our profession.
Any PP owners out there that can comment on it or even those at hospitals, have they been informing you all regarding this and mandating any changes in practice? Seems like a big mess waiting to happen.
I tried to look up a thread already on this but didn't find any, if it's a repeat my apologies.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• novitas.jpg
    novitas.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 115
Good. It’s about time.

And good riddance these pods and WCCs that put these grafts on weekly.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it’s good policy. If you’re not seeing progress after 4 skin substitute applications, then there’s something else interfering with the healing process that a graft isn’t going to help. People doing 8, 9, 10 applications were 100% abusing the system and just using grafts for “practice management purposes”.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Admittedly I don't bill for these as I am at an FQHC that doesn't pay for them (btw, if anyone who does work at an FQ knows how to get them paid for pls DM me), but these new policies on skin subs will most likely have some big consequences for our profession.
Any PP owners out there that can comment on it or even those at hospitals, have they been informing you all regarding this and mandating any changes in practice? Seems like a big mess waiting to happen.
I tried to look up a thread already on this but didn't find any, if it's a repeat my apologies.

This is not a problem.

If you did a good surgery (wound recon with diabetic offloading procedures) you shouldn’t need skin subs more than 3-4 times after to get the rest of the wound to heal.

People also need to learn how to use basic dressings to do wound care.

The only people who will suffer are crooked podiatrists putting weekly skin subs on that plantar midfoot Charlot ulcer for 3-6 months. A wound that has zero chance of healing without recon.

Reactions: 5 users
Yep, the skin sub gold rush is coming to an end. The major impact will be on the companies that sell these grafts obviously, say goodbye to all the free steak dinners residents

Reactions: 4 users
Yep, the skin sub gold rush is coming to an end. The major impact will be on the companies that sell these grafts obviously, say goodbye to all the free steak dinners residents

A wound care company took me out to dinner last night. I need to secure that consultant deal ASAP

Reactions: 1 user
This is not a problem.

If you did a good surgery (wound recon with diabetic offloading procedures) you shouldn’t need skin subs more than 3-4 times after to get the rest of the wound to heal.

People also need to learn how to use basic dressings to do wound care.

The only people who will suffer are crooked podiatrists putting weekly skin subs on that plantar midfoot Charlot ulcer for 3-6 months. A wound that has zero chance of healing without recon.

I agree with this, on most cases. I also know that since residency (been out 4 years) I have had to get more creative due to the no skin subs where I work, and surgical cases for chronic wounds has been very successful in a lot of cases. These cases are fun, you use your biomechanics alot and are trying to get the patient an ambulatory foot and get them out of your clinic. Some of these poor patients with their wounds that are in clinics weekly for what seems to be years. What a different a gastroc and PL tenotomy can make for some up my recalcitrant sub-1 wounds.

Anyways, back to the thread, just wondering as I saw that report of the new changes.

I can’t remember the last time I needed more than 4 applications. Not once since being in Texas.

But I think there needs to be an option for larger ulcers, like venous leg, which I don’t see a lot of.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
skin subs were never the mainstay of my practice, not even the mainstay of my treatment protocol in wound care. I honestly have no idea how people were making so much money off of these products. The audit risk is too high and the reimbursement is slow. Claims need to be appealed. Maybe just my own bad luck.

When I did use them, and when they did work, it was on wounds that were utterly stagnant that have made their way up the reconstructive ladder and they would heal millimeter by millimeter, so I would apply 6-8 in a row.

I can’t remember the last time I needed more than 4 applications. Not once since being in Texas.

But I think there needs to be an option for larger ulcers, like venous leg, which I don’t see a lot of.

Venous leg ulcers can benefit from skin sub application I’ve found more success with mesalt and unna boot wraps than using skin subs.

Then try and find a vascular surgeon who is interested enough to do a vein ablation.

• Haha
Regranex is better anyway

• Sad
What’s the deal with the grafts that people are making thousands per application on? Are these legit or does it get clawed back

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s the deal with the grafts that people are making thousands per application on? Are these legit or does it get clawed back
Some get clawed back, like 24 million dollars worth:

Some are making profits of several hundreds (maybe a thousand or more in some cases) per application with the right product, the right insurance and the right secondary insurance and right place of service. If all those do not line up it is often a much, much less profitable situation.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I'm as PP as can be, but I don't use them.

I do this weird stuff called EBM.

Yes, I love EBM. Most of my practice is based on EBM. Emery Board Maneuvers, these techniques are taught from myself to chief resident only at my practice. It is a great wave of the future that most of our graduates would be lucky to learn. I appreciate you Feli for engaging in a similar practice style such as myself. I am proud to call you a member of my organization.

Thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
They dont pay that well.
3ish wRVUs which is about $150.
Not sure private reimbursement. But I doubt its thousands per application.

I rarely use them. They do have their place but its once every 6 months for me.

They dont pay that well.

The first thing people need to understand about this is - to the best of my knowledge - all of the graft shenanigans were only happening on Medicare. The reps would tell you they were looking into BCBS, but that was never the way the game was played. Medicare + secondary was what everyone wanted the patient to have because that was who paid.

The money wasn't made on the preparation code. It was made on the surplus payment over cost on the graft itself. I don't understand it, but graft reps were coming to my office claiming I'd make $800+ over the top on some of the grafts. They'd point to specific products claiming right now this or that product was more profitable and that the bigger the wound and graft the more money there was to be made. A friend of mine left an office where he claimed the office was up like $300K on grafts and that is was the back bone of their cash flow.

There are other products in medicine where people essentially are reimbursed higher than the cost of the medication (ie. chemotherapy which is supposedly a large part of why oncologists are paid so well right now), but I'm not quite sure why this whole thing was worth so much money.

The story awhile ago was that people billing grafts were going to have to submit how much they paid and how much they were reimbursed.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time feeling bad about this whole scenario. I like people being able to have the products that they need. But docs were literally EXCITED about grafts. The first conference I went to where graft people were at everyone I spoke to was talking about how much money there was to be made.

Wow I must say, I thought more people would be using them-and I’m not even talking abusing the system, but actually ‘using’ them appropriately and frequently.
I went to a residency program at a county hospital, tons of surgeries (trauma, DM train wrecks) and clinically got to use a decent amount of skin subs. But being that I don’t practice being able to use them I just figured more people did. Funny what you imagine is going on outside your practice….

I do miss those steak dinners in residency tho
#tomahawk

Use them pretty regularly in PP. Good reimbursement makes it worthwhile. Honestly think I've used more than 4 on just a couple pts. Usually if the ulcer gets small enough to where the graft is much bigger than the actual ulcer I stop. I'm sure in a year or two these companies will come up with some work around billing for this that pods will start using. I know of plenty of practices that this will impact their bottom line heavily though.

The money wasn't made on the preparation code. It was made on the surplus payment over cost on the graft itself. I don't understand it, but graft reps were coming to my office claiming I'd make $800+ over the top on some of the grafts. They'd point to specific products claiming right now this or that product was more profitable and that the bigger the wound and graft the more money there was to be made. A friend of mine left an office where he claimed the office was up like $300K on grafts and that is was the back bone of their cash flow.
bingo.

You are reimbursed per unit, and one unit = 1 sq cm. The loophole is that the OG grafts--dermagraft and apligraf--are sold in one size fits all, 38 and 44 sq cm, resepectively. So you multiply your profit margin by 38 or by 44 and it adds up to $$$ per session. As for the other grafts, there was always a gentleman's understanding that it was abusive to apply a 25 sq cm product to a 1 sq cm wound, but never explicitly prohibited. Meanwhile a lot of these companies offer a price break per sq cm when ordering a big graft, so the more you waste, the more you can earn.

The word to describe what's going on here is arbitrage. Grafts and DME with Medicare both fall into this category. You can buy a CAM boot for $25 and charge Medicare $270. Its problematic to me because what I would really like is to be reimbursed for the work I actually do.

... Medicare + secondary was what everyone wanted the patient to have because that was who paid...
...The money wasn't made on the preparation code. It was made on the surplus payment over cost on the graft itself. ..
Yessir^

...I know of plenty of practices that this will impact their bottom line heavily though.
For sure.

The supergroup I left sends all associates a list of "graft eligible" patients monthly to encourage them to use them. There is a large markup on the (fake) graft versus its cost to the group/office (particularly if you arrange bulk rates on a certain graft for large/super group!). The application and debride + visit also pays, but not nearly so much. It's about the markup on the (fake) graft itself.

...I would not doubt if bits of kleenex applied to the wound using steri-strips to secure it would have similarly helpful results to said "grafts"... assuming combined with proper wound debride, abx, revasc, offload, compress, as applicable. I am glad this nonsense is over. YMMV

bingo.

You are reimbursed per unit, and one unit = 1 sq cm. The loophole is that the OG grafts--dermagraft and apligraf--are sold in one size fits all, 38 and 44 sq cm, resepectively. So you multiply your profit margin by 38 or by 44 and it adds up to $$$ per session. As for the other grafts, there was always a gentleman's understanding that it was abusive to apply a 25 sq cm product to a 1 sq cm wound, but never explicitly prohibited. Meanwhile a lot of these companies offer a price break per sq cm when ordering a big graft, so the more you waste, the more you can earn.

Is Apligraf the pee-pee graft?

They dont pay that well.

Narrator: it is thousands per application

• Haha
One of the attendings (PP partner, has been out of residency over 10 yrs) we work with in my residency started doing grafts the last couple of years along with oxy mist treatments. He claims that he doubled his take home just by incorporating those two things into his practice. The rep basically lives at his practice lol.

Then try and find a vascular surgeon who is interested enough to do a vein ablation.
Good luck. It’s actually probably not hard in larger metros but even if you aren’t totally rural…our local regional hospital has a vascular group but since they are busy, they stopped doing any vein work. Closest place I can get my patients now is about 3 hours away.

They dont pay that well.
Well your coders suck, but depending on the MAC you can bill both the wound bed prep and the skin sub application codes together, even on subsequent applications. That’s 6.4 wRVU on a foot wound.

I don't understand it, but graft reps were coming to my office claiming I'd make $800+ over the top on some of the grafts. They'd point to specific products claiming right now this or that product was more profitable and that the bigger the wound and graft the more money there was to be made.
You bill the Medicare approved invoice price per unit of the product you use. The company that sold you the graft has a huge profit margin and will offer you a 20-40% “rebate” on the cost of the graft after you’ve paid them for it. So you bill Medicare $2000, patient has a secondary so you get reimbursed $2000. You pay your invoices to the company (none of them require payment until after you’ve been paid now) and they send you a rebate for $600 for that one graft you used. $2000 is not a large charge for these products on a reasonable sized wound…I billed $16000 for a graft once and I’ve heard of people billing more in the case of larger wounds.

The loophole is that the OG grafts--dermagraft and apligraf--are sold in one size fits all, 38 and 44 sq cm, resepectively. So you multiply your profit margin by 38 or by 44 and it adds up to $$$ per session. As for the other grafts, there was always a gentleman's understanding that it was abusive to apply a 25 sq cm product to a 1 sq cm wound, but never explicitly prohibited. Meanwhile a lot of these companies offer a price break per sq cm when ordering a big graft, so the more you waste, the more you can earn.
I’m not sure this is true. I know it’s not true for most organogenesis, mimedix, etc. products now a days. When you submit your 1500 (claim form) you indicate the number of units actually used on the wound as well as the $/unit of the product. In the note you document units used and any “waste.” I don’t believe there is any incentive to “waste” any product, in fact, other than (maybe) dermagraft/apligraf I’m fairly certain it’s the opposite.

Last edited:
One of the attendings (PP partner, has been out of residency over 10 yrs) we work with in my residency started doing grafts the last couple of years along with oxy mist treatments. He claims that he doubled his take home just by incorporating those two things into his practice. The rep basically lives at his practice lol.
Podiatry has always been this way. Chasing the next golden goose. Not uncommon at all year after year it is one or maybe two type of services used and often abused by many in PP that helps them make higher than an associate's salary in solo practice. Owners with associates and not partners make $$$ of protocols that incorporate the golden goose.

I know one podiatrist well in a well rounded suburban practice billing over 500,000 a year on grafts the last couple of years. They are not depending on just that, but doing well from it. I know of others it just never works out to have the right patients and the right insurances etc to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
the right patients and the right insurances

All they need is Medicare and a secondary. That’s the ticket. You can slap on $50,000 worth of grafts and patient doesn’t care at all because they don’t pay a penny for them.

If the company you use offers a 30% or greater rebate, then Medicare alone works and you can eat the patients 20% co-insurance that they can’t afford. I’m pretty sure that’s called “Medicare fraud” but this is Podiatry after all…

• Haha
All they need is Medicare and a secondary. That’s the ticket. You can slap on $50,000 worth of grafts and patient doesn’t care at all because they don’t pay a penny for them.

If the company you use offers a 30% or greater rebate, then Medicare alone works and you can eat the patients 20% co-insurance that they can’t afford. I’m pretty sure that’s called “Medicare fraud” but this is Podiatry after all…
first of all it 40 percent....and you send them the bill and say hey just ignore this we won't come after you....

There is a reason why the reps are now targeting at inpatient cases. Outpatient is now heavily audited.
I typically don't get any attention from the reps in the hospital because: 1. I stick with whatever is cheapest in the OR; 2. I value my family time so never go to dinners with them or anybody really.

But lately they have been approaching me asking if I would like to throw some amnio or fish skin on my I&Ds or TMAs. Not that I don't use biologics...maybe Integra from time to time, or I harvest skin from the thigh, or reverse sural for calcanectomies on the few patients that I like. But I really don't know if these amnio grafts work any better than my current way of treatment. Plus these products will likely inflate my case cost and catch OR attention.

Back to outpatient grafts. When I first started the job I did use grafts on wound care patients for 3 months. I made so much money from those 90 days that I couldn't sleep well at night. And it just happened to be that my wife was watching "Orange is the New Black". I had some wild dreams those days. And then I pretty much stopped using them altogether. Practice owner at the time wasn't super happy about it. But I could sleep better, so who cares.

Last edited:
  • Care
When I first started the job I did use grafts on wound care patients for 3 months. I made so much money from those 90 days that I couldn't sleep well at night.
no amount of money is worth going to jail or prison. Glad you got out of that habit fast and I hate that your boss pressured you.

How are the prisons for doctors these days? Like do you get sent to special ones or special wards or do they toss you in with the violent guys too. Also how do student loans work when you’re locked up

How are the prisons for doctors these days? Like do you get sent to special ones or special wards or do they toss you in with the violent guys too. Also how do student loans work when you’re locked up
As a doctor in prison, you can opt to treat wounds and clip toenails of fellow inmates in the specialty clinic in exchange for reduced prison time.

For student loans, you switch to the new Biden INMATE payment plan. Loans forgiven only for those serving life. The few on death row still need to worry about their loans though.

• Haha
I figure nail care is a great way to trade for Loosies

• Haha
As a doctor in prison, you can opt to treat wounds and clip toenails of fellow inmates in the specialty clinic in exchange for reduced prison time.

For student loans, you switch to the new Biden INMATE payment plan. Loans forgiven only for those serving life. The few on death row still need to worry about their loans though.

Will the reps put money on your books if you listen to their sales pitch over the phone?

But lately they have been approaching me asking if I would like to throw some amnio or fish skin on my I&Ds or TMAs.
The fish skin actually works pretty well and it's a fraction the cost of Integra.

Yea doesnt Integra cost a lot anyways? I remember when I was on an off service rotation one of the surgeons I worked with talked on and on about how expensive Integra is and how there are much cheaper alternatives that work just as well. Granted he did say there’s a time and place for using it but he just feels it’s a product that’s overused especially given it’s cost

I like the silicon layer of Integra. Whether it actually helps, or just makes me feel more comfortable, I like the layer to help with physical coverage of the wound. However, one time an Integra rep showed up to one of my cases without product, so I quit using them and results have been equally as well using the fish skin.

I like the silicon layer of Integra. Whether it actually helps, or just makes me feel more comfortable, I like the layer to help with physical coverage of the wound. However, one time an Integra rep showed up to one of my cases without product, so I quit using them and results have been equally as well using the fish skin.
I havent done the fish skin yet.
I keep hearing talk about it.

I do like Integra. I never use it. But its good stuff.