Any doctors out there who Conceal Carry at their private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blessed.pod

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the craziness that is happening in the world...just wondering does any private practice Podiatrists conceal carry? I know for some hospital based Pods yall definitly cant.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I appendix carry with my tucked in OR scrubs to assert dominance as the top Fellowship Trained Foot and Ankle Surgeon.

On a more serious note - I have known plenty of docs who do. I own guns and there are many places I would carry but I just don’t feel in danger at my clinic enough to carry and risk making any patients feel uncomfortable. As much as I love my safety I like money more.

It’s a good topic to discuss though. I’m sure it is very area dependent too and speciality dependent. I could see pain docs doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
... I just don’t feel in danger at my clinic enough to carry and risk making any patients feel uncomfortable.
Yeah, it'd be about as smart as wearing a political or religion tee shirt... or putting that stuff on the wait room TV.

Pretty crazy to alienate or trigger any patients.
A lot of them have enough going on without CNN and FoxNews thrown in their face.

Reactions: 3 users
Real men use nail nippers for defense.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Yeah, it'd be about as smart as wearing a political or religion tee shirt... or putting that stuff on the wait room TV.

Pretty crazy to alienate or trigger any patients.
A lot of them have enough going on without CNN and FoxNews thrown in their face.

The point of concealing is that nobody knows you’re carrying.

I carry, but not at work. Would be easy to conceal my Glock 42 in scrubs with a belly band holster or an ankle holster. I can pocket carry that thing in shorts and sweatpants without any printing. Doing so under scrubs would be relatively easy.

The point of concealing is that nobody knows you’re carrying.

I carry, but not at work. Would be easy to conceal my Glock 42 in scrubs with a belly band holster or an ankle holster. I can pocket carry that thing in shorts and sweatpants without any printing. Doing so under scrubs would be relatively easy.
I would think a regular person sized gun would print through on your child size scrubs. Maybe the fact that you wear bootcut scrubs provides a little extra room.

• Haha
I would think a regular person sized gun would print through on your child size scrubs. Maybe the fact that you wear bootcut scrubs provides a little extra room.

Thick thighs cause me to size up. I’m dense…but not fat like ankle breaker so I could still appendix carry IWB in clinic attire comfortably if need be. I know you don’t know what that means. Pistols and carry terminology aside, I can put you on an elk if you ever move up here…I’ll even lend you the bow or rifle

• Haha
I think you meant retrograde
Thick thighs cause me to size up. I’m dense…but not fat like ankle breaker so I could still appendix carry IWB in clinic attire comfortably if need be. I know you don’t know what that means. Pistols and carry terminology aside, I can put you on an elk if you ever move up here…I’ll even lend you the bow or rifle
Yeah will admit that I've never heard the term printing before for guns, I think of it for JPow and money printer go brrrrrrrrrr. And I don't think you meant ankle breaker I thought you meant retrograde nail.

• Haha
...does any private practice Podiatrists conceal carry? I know for some hospital based Pods yall definitly cant.
The vast majority of modern PP pods still go to the hospital on most days... or to ASC... or to wound center... or to lunch at some restaurant, post office, or the million other places you can't carry. My office is in a hospital... many PP pods are, on some or all days.

I learned way back in Miami for pod school that CCW is basically equal to frying your ammo in a hot car all day while you're at clinic or rotations... for it to also potentially get stolen if car break-in or theft happened. Not ideal... gave up on that CCW idea pretty fast. I will stick with my Leatherman.

If it were a private practice not in a hospital and a doc who seldom goes to the hospital (C&C type)... and you're paranoid... I'd say a doc office lock box is probably much more practical than CCW. You can still only do that if you're owner... and you have insurance for it... and it meets all other building/legal regs. It will still 100% creep some staff out, so there's that.

CCW is just not practical for 98% of health professionals. It's really only a thing for off-work hours or travel. On the job, even the EMTs and medics and home health peeps are constantly having to leave their arm in their bus' cab.

...I just don’t feel in danger at my clinic enough to carry ...
Yeah, if you're not dealing drugs or making enemies or picking up other guys' wives or flashing tons of gold and stacks, a podiatry office should be a pretty chill place. One would hope. You just don't see a ton of verruca and onychomycosis patients wild'n out. :(

Nearly any pod office I've ever seen where there is a large % of roughneck pts or fam/visitors and it wouldn't be extreme to consider CCW are MCA hospital/resident podiatry clinics, where CCW is not allowed for multiple reasons.

The point of concealing is that nobody knows you’re carrying. ...
I get it, 100%.
...but over time, I'd say that it's basically inevitable that you print reaching for something, holster slips, shirt untucks, have to change in a locker room, have to take holster off with a passenger in car (at no-firearms destination), have to adjust and ppl pick up on what you're doing, or whatever. We can all CCW for a few days or weeks, but it's a matter of time... esp when most of us go sit-stand-sit-stand 25x-100x daily and work with mostly same ppl daily.

Last edited:
I thought you meant retrograde nail.

They aren’t the same person

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Some people choose to be fat because they eat so many RVUs on a daily basis. Be fat and rich or buy farm animals like air bud and cry how they are not busy enough. I choose fat.

Not sure of this Ankle Breaker person you speak of. But that is a killer name.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Definitely no conceal carry for me.
When I was a student I used to drive around the country with all my belonging in my car, including a shotgun and 3 cases of slugs.
I did 2 VA rotations and parked my car on the VA campuses daily.
It took me like 8 years to realize that I actually committed federal level crimes by doing that.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
I rely on the fat rent a cop standing at the front door with a bottle of mace

We live in a different world now. But there is no way I would ever bring a gun into a doctors exam room. Maybe in the doctors actual office sure. But an exam room no way. Once patients catch onto that like Feli said its not going to go well.

I would be concerned if my dentist had a glock in the wasteband while doing dentist stuff.

• Haha