Private Practice or University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA Hopeful Dr

Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that this is a is a very generalized question and there is no one correct answer, but I'd appreciate any anecdotal evidence. Is there any trend that suggests that university plastic surgeons are more/less qualified (I know that is a poor choice of words, but I mean it in the best sense ie. are they any better) than private practice plastic docs? Again, anecdotal evidence will do since I'd imagine there is no cut and dry answer. And as an aside, does anyone have anything positive or negative about the Emory plastic surgeons.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

VA Hopeful Dr said:
I realize that this is a is a very generalized question and there is no one correct answer, but I'd appreciate any anecdotal evidence. Is there any trend that suggests that university plastic surgeons are more/less qualified (I know that is a poor choice of words, but I mean it in the best sense ie. are they any better) than private practice plastic docs? Again, anecdotal evidence will do since I'd imagine there is no cut and dry answer. And as an aside, does anyone have anything positive or negative about the Emory plastic surgeons.

Thanks in advance for any information.

From my limited knowledge of the field, I would say that University and private practice plastic docs do different things in their practices. University practices in plastics tend to be more reconstructive while private practice is more elective/aesthetic procedures; which offer better reimbursment and is more conducive to making a living in private practice. Of course there is probably a large number of docs in the gray area in between.

So I don't know if the two groups can be meaningfully compared to one another based on their overall skill/qualifications overall.