how do new plastic surgeons start private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luv2sd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Isn't it a common sense to have a plastic surgery done by an experienced plastic surgeon? ok then how do new plastic surgeons start their private practice if everyone wants to have the surgery done by experienced surgeons? they sure don't have "before and after" pictures and they don't have many years of experience. so where and how do they gain experience and start attracting customers?

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't it a common sense to have a plastic surgery done by an experienced plastic surgeon? ok then how do new plastic surgeons start their private practice if everyone wants to have the surgery done by experienced surgeons? they sure don't have "before and after" pictures and they don't have many years of experience. so where and how do they gain experience and start attracting customers?

I'll take a swing at this, and I'm sure others are going to jump in as well. From my limited view (being a "new" plastic surgeon"), here goes:

You will have before and after photos from residency. If you decide to do an aesthetic fellowship, you will obviously have more.

Granted, graduating residents don't have 10 years of experience since residency (or fellowship after general surgery) is usually only two years. But that time, you do a lot of operating. Most people I know who have graduated feel fairly comfortable doing procedures, and if they don't, they do a little extra time with a more experienced surgeon (or partner).

Dan Baker charges a ridiculous amount of money for his faces. Most people don't have that kind of cash, so they will see someone they can afford (i.e., the "new" plastic surgeon).

They guy who graduated ahead of me stayed local and kept in touch. His first month out, he did ER coverage, some botox, and some restylane. One of his restylane patients really liked her results and sent her friends. This escalated into more injections, belphs, implants and then facelifts in a relatively short period of time. He's now been out a year and is very busy. It also doesn't hurt that he's also very good.

I've sewed up ER lacs on kids and had their mothers ask me if I did cosmetic work. It's out there, and it'll happen if you work at it.

--Moravian

I should also mention that if you're already in a plastics residency, many if not all of the national meetings offer courses in how to start practice, pros and cons of various practice models, office management, and the like.

--M

Members don't see this ad :)
"Dr. 90210"

You could start by filming yourself and putting in on YouTube :laugh:

(sounds like a joke but I bet someone has or is considering doing this)

There are some plastic surgeons doing it too on Youtube

Most PS new to the community will begin by taking ER call, and generally getting known at their local hospitals and clinics. Nurses and other providers make great first patients as they know you, and are good "walking advertisement" for your abilities.

Non surgical procedures like laser, Botox and fillers also can generate cosmetic referrals.

"Back in the day" the cosmetic component of practices took many years to develop!

Best wishes,

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com

There was an interesting article in this past months Plastic Surgery News talking about YouTube and internet video being used for advertising and patient education. What bothers me is that I'm sure disgruntled patients are might start using it as well to vent frustration at their surgeon. Dr. Sid Coleman (fat grafter extraordinare) had problems with a guy who set up a web site defaming him. He had to go to court to get it taken down, but the guy just moved his site to a host in Canada. Posting video on YouTube is a lot easier than making a site (as long as you have a camera). Just when you thought it was safe to go outside...

--M