Prison Job - Worth the Risks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where are these located?

NY.

Just yesterday I saw something for $260+/hr. The job though sounds like an absolute hell. 25-30 pt inpatient unit ("40 hours") with 16 hours of call, which appeared to be weekly. That's like two jobs basically.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Believe it or not, the prison population really wasnt that bad. Looking back most of the people were people who had zero help growing up, made bad choices that just spiraled. Its easy for someone with very little guidance/resources to make the wrong choice. Also it was very sad, because some were clearly schizophrenic
Prisoners like to serve a lot of Kool Aid.

Generally, my prisoners complained of low mood/anxiety due to being in prison and not having enough money in their commissary, and wanting help with the voices telling them they were bad (aka their conscience). When asked, they were all in prison for unknown reasons or possibly jaywalking. At least from what I could gather from their 5-10 minute tangential elocution. None of them ever spoke of their actual crimes (i.e., brutally murdering children), much less remorse. They were all very polite and seemed nice though.

A minority were legitimately schizophrenic or manic and needed to be in a state hospital rather than prison.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Prisoners like to serve a lot of Kool Aid.

This is certainly true, and I did my jail rotation with an appropriate degree of skepticism/holding stories lightly. I met one guy who had been arrested for trespassing for sleeping in an abandoned house, and he told me that he had very bad anxiety and that he hadn't had any of his medication since he was arrested the day before and could he have some please? He insisted he was prescribed Xanax 1 mg TID by the VA. Mmmkay. Sure, buddy.

Get the VA records. He is actually receiving 2 mg Xanax TID. O ye of little faith.

But gotta weigh that against the guy sitting across from me smirking and saying that "the voices" told him to kill the criminal associates who owed him money and dump their bodies in the river.

A minority were legitimately schizophrenic or manic and needed to be in a state hospital rather than prison.

And it was these folks that made that environment one I was just not willing to work in on account of being excessively depressionogenic

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a very broad question. Not all prisons are the same. I worked in a local county jail. It tends to bring 3 types. 1-the very bad doctor who's hired cause they can't get anyone else and typically these doctors suck. 2-A doctor wanting to go through the trenches, bright eyed and bushy tailed, and these doctors tend to give a damn and are very good, or 3-someone willing to make a lot of money cause most doctors don't want to work in a prison.

Not all 3 types are mutually exclusive.

You usually can't get any decent food in there. They usually don't let people order food in. If you want to leave to go out for a lunch it's an ordeal of going through various security checkpoints. The general culture of coworkers is cynical. The physical structure is often times not pleasant. E.g. an office that smells of bleach and no sunlight.

I didn't work but had experience with the Cincinnati jail. I worked in the St. Louis County jail. I would've been able to tolerate the Cincinnati jail but not the St. Louis jail cause the latter had people not getting appropriate care that didn't even meet the legal minimums. E.g. if a schizophrenic patient was going to be seen by a doctor for court-ordered meds (and thus then be sent to a state hospital) the process took around 11 months for the doctor to see the patient. In the meantime the person festered in a cell while they progressively got worse. In the Cincinnati jail the inmate was seen for such evaluations within days of being placed in the jail sometimes even the same day.

Despite my efforts, and putting in well over 100 hours to try to get the situation in the St. Louis jail fixed, I had no success. What it basically came down to was there wasn't enough psychologists or psychiatrists to get these inmates evaluated faster nor was the state going to intervene to improve upon it.

My first year in St. Louis a serious court case occurred where the governor was even court-ordered to improve a related situation, that is inmates not getting a lawyer in timely manner. The situation was never fixed. In every state I've lived in, if you can't afford a lawyer, the state gets you one within days at most. Missouri? Often times well over 10 months. It's terrible.

And yes you can argue it's unconstitutional but yet it still goes on here and has been going on for years. Oh yeah, in St. Louis there's a labor jail for people who can't pay debts. Yes. I'm not joking it's called "The Workhouse." Unconstitutional? Yell that word out all you want. It's there, it's going on and the people of this state seem to be fine with it. It "closed" summer of 2022 but guess what? It's still in operation.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users