Soo....where do I find non-prison jobs in the Bay Area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reca

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a baby on the way so looking to moonlight to pick up some extra cash. I’m hitting a brick wall everywhere though, surprisingly. Sent in applications to Vituity, Palo Alto Medical Foundation/Sutter, Santa Clara Valley, Kaiser, etc. No interest from any of them. I either get ignored or get a generic, “Thanks, we’ll keep your CV on file and reach out.” Only positive response has been from CDCR and I’m not fancying the idea of driving that far (or working in a prison for that matter). I’m C/L fellowship trained but am open to anything. Anyone in the Bay Area have any leads on where to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the closest airport to you.
Are there any quick one way flights to anything nearby?
Could expand your reach for weekend coverage.
Check out those destinations that brief one way, no layover flights. Or perhaps Amtrak?

The SF and/or Oakland airport would go pretty much anywhere and most places non-stop. Amtrak much less so, but I think the OP is looking for something close by. I have questions. What do you mean by moonlighting? What schedule were you hoping for? What is your current day job? It is indeed usually correctional facilities that will tolerate non-standard work hour arrangements (because they have to and the population is...easy to schedule). Academic affiliated sites are not going to be interested as they have residents to handle this. You could reach out to the various county jail systems, doesn't have to be CDCR. I think Contra Costa jail is looking, although it might be out of your driving range if San Quentin is. I don't know much about Kaiser, but last I heard, they want to own you, professionally speaking. Moonlighting doesn't seem to fall well within ownership.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently doing a cash practice, looking for 1-2 days a week or night/weekend coverage.

John George psychiatric hospital was looking for moonlighters

Reactions: 1 user
Oh yeah, I could see John George... Might as well check with the others like Alta Bates. I'm guessing based on the other applied places that this OP is South Bay. A bit less business around there, at least apart from the academic sites, but there might be some private hospitals.