Primary Care residents able to match into GI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPassion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much of a disadvantage, and specifically how will I be disadvantaged, will I be applying to GI by matching in a Primary Care instead of Categorical program. Do GI programs even seriously consider Primary care applicants? Are they viewed as less strongly trained than categorical residents?

I have seen rvery few primary care residents match into GI, but most seemed to take a Chief year. Virtually all primary care residents pursuing fellowship I have observed have pursued outpatient based subspecialties: rheumatology, endocrine, ID, geriatrics.

Specifically I would be ranking primary care programs at "very top tier" institutions: e.g. UCSF, MGH vs. excellent Categorical programs: e.g. Michigan, Duke, WashU, Penn. I would be tremendously grateful to train at any of these places but feel limited to Boston or San Francisco because of my spouse. I also have a genuine interest in learning good primary care and have outstanding generalist skills. I view it to be the bread and butter of medicine (so I could still thrive in the primary care track).

I am willing to move away to the other categorical programs if it will truly provide me with better training and career opportunities. I will likely pursue an academic medicine career.

I'm sorry for the redundancy. I also posted this in the general internal medicine forum, but would really appreciate hearing from the experience of experienced GI applicants.

Thank you everyone. Good luck with your interviews and matches in June!

Members don't see this ad.