WAMC 3.8 sGPA/511 prepping for reapp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justanotherpost

Reaction score
3.9 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA
510 MCAT
NC residency
Went to an avg state university- Honors College
ORM

40 hours MA experience, 1500 more projected
60 hours volunteer health coaching uninsured pt's
90 hours hospital pt transport

350 hours wet lab research
160 hours clinical research in pediatrics

40 hours shadowing various primary care specialties

120 hours president of student org volunteering with pediatric pts
900 hours resident advisor
700 hours student workstudy employee
240 hours public health advocacy project looking to reduce youth tobacco use- capstone project
24 hours leadership training program
90 hours surgery interest club

Applied broadly to all NC MD schools, Drexel, Temple, EVMS, VCU, Wayne State, Wake Forest, Albany Penn State, Emory, and Oakland Beaumont. 3 interviews that resulted in 1 waitlist, 1 rejection, and 1 deferred decision.

Preparing for reapplication with the following changes to my application:
completed 2200 hours MA experience, new LOR with a provider I work closely with, 100 hrs volunteer tutor for low SES students, 100 hrs volunteering to improve assistance technology for nonverbal pts, and fit in some more shadowing. Also completing a possible internship with a mentoring and outreach program for low SES middle and high school students. Would these changes to my application make me a strong candidate for reapp? Also please revise my school list and give any suggestions. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Get some volunteering to those less fortunate. This should be outside an academic environment (think homeless shelter, soup kitchen, food bank etc). Many of the schools you applied to are service-oriented.

Where were your interviews? Interview skills would be a major thing to work on.

On nonclinical volunteering, you did get some interviews, and I can see how some of the things you did could fall into that category (more detail would confirm that for me). If you have to reapply, I would be a bit focused if you can whether it is health coaching or the public health capstone project... but again, how you describe your activities is what I would want to know.

These activities are helpful for service orientation than the tutoring you are proposing. If you had that much time, then I would do a standard community service program (food distribution, housing insecurity, shelter work, job upskilling, etc.).

You did get 3 interviews, which is I think near the average for most applicants, so you likely should address any minor interview skills than more hours of service, unless that is what you are told.

Reactions: 1 user