prepparation for nbde part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:thumbup: thanks to you guys.

just curious :idea:

Is sympathetic efferent is same as parasympathetic :eek: :scared:

plz explain :(

Members don't see this ad.

sharmila1908 said:
hi everyone,
this thread is for people who are preparing for nbde part 1 exam in December, please try to share some thoughts, students who have got their admissions can also help us out as of the preparation tips , the things to overcome in this highly competetive exam about the materials required, all those stuffs .

good luck guys,
shamila
Hi,Sharmila,
Iam sunita ,prep for nbde part 1 to be held in Dec .It is nice to see so many stds sharing there thoughts .Itoo want to join .Do u have any idea about the new decks .Ihave 20001 edt.Ialso heard that there is some change in the exam pattern from this yr .Is that true .Ifeel very nervous abt it .Ihave been told by aNYU dental std that decks ,papers n kaplan r more than sufficient.

hi sunitha,
welcome to sdn...s as per sdn many people say that those three study materials r enough.....if u want to brush up ur basics may b u can use ur textbooks it totally depends upon ur individual opinion.

hope this helps
cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
rags182 said:
:thumbup: thanks to you guys.

just curious :idea:

Is sympathetic efferent is same as parasympathetic :eek: :scared:

plz explain :(

ssaug said:
hi sunitha,
welcome to sdn...s as per sdn many people say that those three study materials r enough.....if u want to brush up ur basics may b u can use ur textbooks it totally depends upon ur individual opinion.

hope this helps
cheers.
Hi,ssaug.Thanks .Is it true that there is some change in the exam pattern from this yr or is it just a publicity stunt to sell new edi decks.Ihave an old edi 2001 .Hope there is not much diff .Plz let me know.
sunita

Sunita Kaul said:
Hi,ssaug.Thanks .Is it true that there is some change in the exam pattern from this yr or is it just a publicity stunt to sell new edi decks.Ihave an old edi 2001 .Hope there is not much diff .Plz let me know.
sunita

There is not much change in teh pattern, for this year...
the pattern is supposed to change 2005 but even that is not confirmed..
however, the questions that are asked now days are some what differetn then the old ones...there is not much clinical stuff asked if thats what ure worreid about but they keep coming up wiht new questions..same stuff just different ways of asking it..i do think that 2004 decks are very good...they hav e lot more infor...i mean it's obvious that in 3 years tehy can add more stuff that they see coming on the current exams....for people that are just starting out studying i highly recommend getting the 2004 decks... the 200 some odd bucks is well worth gettig a great score...think about it...even if you only sore five more points from getting the new decks that could be the difference between a 85-90 and u all should know that 90 is the key socre these days...so sure it may seem like only 5 points but those two hundred bucks spent will get u ure spot in Advanced standing adn thats' what we are all aiming for isn't it!!!!! :thumbup:

hi sharmila,
look actually there r only 2 phases which r
1]isovolumetric contraction
2] isovolumetric relaxation
but if u consider from one heart beat to the nxt then there would be 4 named
1] ivc
2] ejection phase
3] ivr
4]filling phase.
all the best.
cheers.

4]
ssaug said:
hi guys,
i have a doubt.....

how many phases does actuall the cardiac cycle has?
one
two
three
four

answer - two ( as per decks )

but as in kaplan books and as per text books it is three phases.....
atrial systole, ventricular systole and ventricular diastole.

iam slightly confused.......

but if the cardiac cycle is considered as the period from beginning of one heart beat to the beginning of the next.......then it is actually two phases....
so is the problem........kindly clarify it.....

cheers....

hi guys wanting to buy the followoing books

if somebody is having or know somebody who is interested to sell please PM me with the asking price

1)human anatomy by B D Chaurasia (head and neck)

2)microbiology by Ananthnarayan

3)BRS for pathology and physiology

4)kaplan book

5)pathology by harshmohan

all in hard copy

thanks

hi everyone........
howzzit going for everyone? as the day goes things r getting little worse ..... i feel lazy and coz of that i get scared sometimes.......so, our seniors in this type of scenario please do guide us and help us out....

thank u
cheers.......

hi everyone back again.what have ull been upto?i have been wiling away my time like crazy i just get nervous&bite my nails till the days is over,i am in quite a pathetic state.khurram thanku so mcuh for the in fo u r extremely helpful buddy!hope u get a great score.hey wats up with ajay&gavin?where r they?how did u guys do,do let us know what all u remeber.so i think ill bethe next one out here taking it (20th aug)or shreshta(?)anyways am thoroughly demoralised i got 53 right in my biochem paper which i did yesterday should i do this anymore?

hi toothfairy.......
all the very best buddy.......it happens towards the end of the exam.....cheer up..... :thumbup: :thumbup:
as khurram the key is to keep a cool head as the exam nears and especially on the day of exam.....coz stress will delay ur applying skills of ur knowledge.....

all the very best......
cheers......

Hi sharmila I have recently arrived in the US..........and intend to give my NBDE sometime next year.....but i am really confused from where to start...got any suggestions

sharmila1908 said:
hi everyone,

this thread is for people who are preparing for nbde part 1 exam in December, please try to share some thoughts, students who have got their admissions can also help us out as of the preparation tips , the things to overcome in this highly competetive exam about the materials required, all those stuffs .

good luck guys,
shamila

Members don't see this ad :)
i am also studing for nbde 1 in dec. please guide me how to study ? and to get registeration for written exam . i have seen www.ada. org but i am little confused ..which i understood uptill now is that i need to send my documents to ece then they will verify after that they will send me some letter after verification which i will send to ada with ada registeration form ......am i right ? or i need to do something else ..please guide me .... also in studies ..and perticularly how to remain relaxed and study ...

thanx shamila ,i saw your quote it was great ...please do write more encouraging quote ....
please do inform me,i its my first thread ,i hope there will be many people to help me ....
thanx good luck to everybody
tf2004

please give me study tips ...how to study ?? what books i should get for nbde 1

hi svv,
sorry was out of town this weekend, so could not write immediately.......
nbde is one of the most competetive exam, i agree with it.......but it does not mean that v cannot score in it or it is a too difficult one even to attempt......if there is proper preparation, thorough revision and a good confidence level......V ALL CAN DO IT........
I do agree it is tough to concentrate as v people r alone here and most of our spouse would b in IT field........so all they can do is b a moral support but cannot help us or guide us........but the think about if v overcome all these small things v can really come out with flying colours.....
all v need is a planned and smart preparation.........even i dont follow my timetable daily , but as v start and sit for preparation i guess v'll get used to it and start following the plan and as v finish our quota for the day that would b a great motivation for us and v can start to perform well.......
thats wat iam experiencing now.........so i am not so good in guiding or something iam just saying wat i experience and iam sharing it with u guys.....
BUT PLS DONT LOSE UR CONFIDENCE AT ANY POINT OF TIME....... :thumbup: :thumbup:

hope this helps.......
cheers......

hi tf2004,
iam using kaplan and dental decks and some asda papers.......i guess if v use these three properly it would help us greatly.......i meant the revision part...which is the key.......if u c the people who hav scored the magical number 90+ do study the samething but the thing is they study it differently and methodically........

hope this helps.......
cheers......

hey sharmila,
u ro such a positive person,lovely to hear form someone like u!!u r really good fo rthe forum,thank u for ur encouraging words.god bless u.anyway for all the newcomers a big hello!&a warm wlecome.we a ll r in the same boat nothign to worry.basically like sharmila said all we need is those materials&to CONCENTRATE onthem.not just read them or to finish quota jump thru them,that is the mistake i made.however long u feel :eek: u need to take,make that time&read well,even if u landed up reading one poage a day(sometimes it happens)make sure that uhave read that page to the core!! :oops: !it is really important u do that!
bec u will find (questions as u solve the papers)that come in a round bt way of what u :scared: read so when u look up the ans most of the time ull be like i wihs id thougth abt :scared: that some more!oh no,i JUST read that. :confused: but,how could i have made thst silly mistake?it is imp u make notes of ateries their course,soem drawings of teeth form day one.work on all subs equally.make a rtime table.it helps!anyway just some :luck: lil advice form one who has been doing this,so hope it works for ull as well.any q's pls feel free to post them on our site,help is on its way!!(sounds familiar!!? :laugh: )

Hi Folks,
Haven't been logging on to SDN for a long time.!!! Just resumed my studies , so here I am back again!!!

I was reading DA decks & this card is driving me crazy......
If anyone would care to explain the following it would be wonderful.....

In a workjing side movemnet, the mesiobuccal cusp of maxillary first molar passes thro the lingual groove of the mandi first molar.

Ina a working side movement, the mesiobuccal cusp of maxi second molar passes thro' the facial groove of mandi sec molar.

Ina a working side movement, the oblique ridge of max first molar passes thro distobuccal sulcus of mandi first molar.

Could someone please elaborate why the above is true......!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Toothfairy, Just read your posts!!! do not be discouraged. Do not let your performance in one test bring down your spirits. As long as u are doing alright in general in those tests u should be fine. Try to find out which topics u fared badly & maybe brush up on those!!!

Just my two cents on it!!!!

Keep in touch, bye,
Treasure

If any of you are taking the boards in the future, don't go out and buy every book and deck to study. My advice is to know the dental decks and the back tests forward and backwards before you do anything else. If you don't understand an answer or an answer choice, LOOK IT UP. Don't just look at what the right answers are on the back tests and ignore the other possible choices because those other choices will be the correct answer to a different question in another test. If you still feel unpreppared after all of this, get the Kaplan book or something similar and start reading your weakest subjects first. But before the test make sure you have the Dental Decks and the back tests fresh in your mind. Trust me. I thought the written test wasn't very difficult and this is how I studied. When you are reading about anatomy, you better have an anatomy book right next to you so that you can see what the cards or books are talking about. Plus you will pick up on other things that you didn't notice before (like what vein empties into what other vein...). Anyways, enough blabbering from me. Good Luck.

-Jarom

P.S. TAKE BREAKS or you will never remember everything that you cram in your head.

hi temple dentist...........
thats was a really a great post........
thx a lot for ur advice........ill definitely follow .......i think i hav been following 60% the other 40% must still follow and ur confidence abt decks abd past question papers is really motivating.......
thank uuuuu......
cheers......

That a great thing u shared with us,It is going to help beginner like me.
Thank u very much

templedentist said:
If any of you are taking the boards in the future, don't go out and buy every book and deck to study. My advice is to know the dental decks and the back tests forward and backwards before you do anything else. If you don't understand an answer or an answer choice, LOOK IT UP. Don't just look at what the right answers are on the back tests and ignore the other possible choices because those other choices will be the correct answer to a different question in another test. If you still feel unpreppared after all of this, get the Kaplan book or something similar and start reading your weakest subjects first. But before the test make sure you have the Dental Decks and the back tests fresh in your mind. Trust me. I thought the written test wasn't very difficult and this is how I studied. When you are reading about anatomy, you better have an anatomy book right next to you so that you can see what the cards or books are talking about. Plus you will pick up on other things that you didn't notice before (like what vein empties into what other vein...). Anyways, enough blabbering from me. Good Luck.

-Jarom

P.S. TAKE BREAKS or you will never remember everything that you cram in your head.
Hi ,
i feel that temple dentist is right
no matter what you study read it thoroughly. dont be under teh impression that u have to read everything available in the market.it will ruin the whole thing.
dental decks is the best material guide and while solving papers ,as temple dentist said it before "Don't just look at what the right answers are on the back tests and ignore the other possible choices because those other choices will be the correct answer to a different question in another test" .frame your own questions for other possible choices. Beleive me answering questions is easier than framing questions . if u can frame your own questions for the other options, it shows how well u have understood the subject.Also it boosts ur confidence.

thats how i studied, not leaving anything from Decks, Questions papers.
and a little bit of Text books(answers which cant be found in teh Decks)
Believe in Yourself , u will definatley excell in the exams

good luck to everyone

hi busy dentist......
thx a lot for ur advice.........v beginners need ur guidance..........
i 'd b glad for how long was ur preparation?

cheers.......

ssaug said:
hi busy dentist......
thx a lot for ur advice.........v beginners need ur guidance..........
i 'd b glad for how long was ur preparation?

cheers.......

Hi ssaug
thank you
its good to know that u have so many to guide .
when i was preparing for my exmas i didnt even know that SDN exist.
we had very small circle of friends , very very small around 4
i gave my exams in dec 2002
i started preparing in aug , and seriously from sept end

but that doesnt really matter , preparation time, study hours , how many times revision because everyone has there own way studying, some study fast,some slow,some memorize fast, some grasp more in short period of time
it depends on indivuall personality .
so the best way is try to concentrate while u r studying , no matter u study for 5 hours a day or 1 hour . its of much u have grasped the subject.dont just read 7/8/9 hours a day because others are reading
u very well know how much u can study per day. how long can u concentrate .go according to your schedule . definately u will succeed
thats the key to score more
i wish you good luck
bubye
take care

hi busydentist.........
thx a lot so much.........really it was so motivating and inspiring.......i totally agree with u........ i 'll 100% try to follow ur advice..........
can u pls tell me .........if v take up the exam in dec......when vll i able to join the classes........iam just little confused in this issue.......coz the deadlines r in september like that so........pls clear me up.........

cheers......

hey guys,
heres a ques for all of u if u can pls make it clear to me.......
in considering the process of eruption, the pre-functional eruptive stage of a tooth begins when the......
a bud stage begins
b cap stage begins
c bell stage begins
d dental lamina begins forming
e none of the above

ans-e

iamaj1 said:
hey guys,
heres a ques for all of u if u can pls make it clear to me.......
in considering the process of eruption, the pre-functional eruptive stage of a tooth begins when the......
a bud stage begins
b cap stage begins
c bell stage begins
d dental lamina begins forming
e none of the above

ans-e

look, pre functional eruptive stage would be when the tooth is fully formed and fully erupted but still not in contact with the opposing tooth..a tooth becomes functional only when it contacts the opposing tooth. so i think none of the choices replies the Q....please confirm also.

I'm new to SDN and would like to if anyone is appearing for the computer based test (NDB1) before the written exam in december? I'd like some input on the same.
Thanks

hi guys
any wants to buy 2004 part1 dentaldecks brand new notused ....contact me at [email protected]

hai
iam anu . dentist from india. just came to us. planning to give part on dec 1. and iam so happy abt the things that all u people r sharing.
and i also have the same doubt as ssaug was having in the post posted on 13th of this month. so can anybody clear this doubt for me. :)
thankx everyone.and i,ll b glad if anybody does this.
bye
anu

hi guys
iam also giving my nbde part 1 . I need part 1 previos papers . please pm me abt the cost and how many years of papers even if they are on cd .
thanks

If you can give me some information about where I can get the preparation materials. that would be a great help. I need it because I am going to take in Dec, 2004. Thanks a lot!!! :love: Pls contact:[email protected]

hi everyone
iam planning to give my nbde part 1 cbt. Can you please help me how to apply for the exam . How many days prior to the planned exam date should I send my application and how many days does it take to get the process completed. can you please give me a detailed info.
thanks
drsn

hi ! i am really happy to see all these threads...i am also preparing for part1 in dec. would u please help me in guiding for registeration .....i send all documents to ece ....now what should i do ??? i mean now they will send me some letter and then i will send that with ada form ,is it right???? please guide me .....
thanks

sharmila1908 said:
hi everyone,

good luck guys,
shamila

hi shamila
i am new to this site and preparing for part 1 exam in dec
currently i am reading form kaplan nots and other reference books that i can find from library
i have more difficulties in bio-chem so can u plz guide me how can i improve my self on bio-chem??
i will also send u guys any difficult questions that i will encounter during my studies. i am living in CARY NC
and i am also interested in online studies if possible
so plz let me know if anyone interested
also i dont have recent decs of 2004 and i want to buy it from anybody
so if u know anybody who has finished exam and havae recent decs than plz inform me
bye
waiting for ur kind responce
my email id is [email protected]

drsn said:
hi everyone
iam planning to give my nbde part 1 cbt. Can you please help me how to apply for the exam . How many days prior to the planned exam date should I send my application and how many days does it take to get the process completed. can you please give me a detailed info.
thanks
drsn

hi drsn
i actually dont remember all the thing about the application process
but i am giving u a website adress where u can find A_Z information about part 1 examination procedure
go at www.ada.org then go to education and testing
and then to go testing programme and then to go nation dental board exam
u will find everything u want to know
may be this thing u would know but i am helping u out as per my knowledge
kk bye
take care

hi aswathi.......
of course biochem has been a terror for everybody including me....... :eek: :eek: i just finished first study from decks and kaplan for biochem......i guess if u read the kaplan properly i mean not fully......when u read a decks card of course it is really simple and good explnations r given but apart from that there vll b some parts which cant b understand that topic alone u can read in kaplan book........the key is only one thing ur satisfaction in understanding ........if u feel that u hav understood the concept and u can answer any form of question in that topic u can proceed in that study pattern....
i am not so good in guiding but i just share the things which i experience.......so for a person like me :D could a little bit cope up with this study pattern.......so i guess u can definetely do it.......

hope this helps........
cheers.......

ssaug said:
hi aswathi.......
of course biochem has been a terror for everybody including me....... :eek: :eek: i just finished first study from decks and kaplan for biochem......i guess if u read the kaplan properly i mean not fully......when u read a decks card of course it is really simple and good explnations r given but apart from that there vll b some parts which cant b understand that topic alone u can read in kaplan book........the key is only one thing ur satisfaction in understanding ........if u feel that u hav understood the concept and u can answer any form of question in that topic u can proceed in that study pattern....
i am not so good in guiding but i just share the things which i experience.......so for a person like me :D could a little bit cope up with this study pattern.......so i guess u can definetely do it.......

hope this helps........
cheers.......

hi ssaug
thats a lot for ur guidence
because i am thinking that kaplan material for bio-chem is not sufficient
but may be as i go throught revision i will understand it better
hey can u plz do me a favor
i want to buy dental decs of 2004
if u know somebody who want to sold it than let me infom
and also be in contact regulary
see ya
bye
take care
:thumbup:

dranuusa said:
hai
iam anu . dentist from india. just came to us. planning to give part on dec 1. and iam so happy abt the things that all u people r sharing.
and i also have the same doubt as ssaug was having in the post posted on 13th of this month. so can anybody clear this doubt for me. :)
thankx everyone.and i,ll b glad if anybody does this.
bye
anu

hi anu
i am also dentist from india came here 2 months agoi
preparing for my part 1 exam
what material are u using for preparation for part 1?/
I have kaplan, q papers but i dont have recent dental decs.
so can u infome me if u know somebody who has recent dental decs for selling??
plz tell me if u know
i really need it
bye
take care
good luck for ur preparation :thumbup:

hi ssaug! sorry i didnot see ur reply ,i just saw ,thanks for ur reply . i have decks of 2001 ,is it ok ? and how many year of papers u have ?
how are u studying kaplan course ? i mean should we do it thourougly ar as a reference when u do decks and previuos papers ?
thanks again :)

hai swati,
iam using kaplan review book right now and i have decks of 2001.even iam trying for 2004 decks. and i joined kaplan coaching b'cz iam not studying that much at home.
and i will surely tell u once i get 2004 decks. and iam trying for it.
:) .even i came 2 months ago and i just started studying. and where do u live in us. i stay in california. wen do u plan to give ur nbde1 ?
ok hen take care
bye good luck

I am also planning to take the Part I on december, but I haven't started yet to review, can you suggest on where and what should I start reading and what method do you use in studying are you memorizing or just reading and understanding, but I wonder if during the exam will I ever remember what I read. Can you inform me on how to study on line

sharmila1908 said:
hi everyone,

good luck guys,
shamila

dranuusa said:
hai swati,
iam using kaplan review book right now and i have decks of 2001.even iam trying for 2004 decks. and i joined kaplan coaching b'cz iam not studying that much at home.
and i will surely tell u once i get 2004 decks. and iam trying for it.
:) .even i came 2 months ago and i just started studying. and where do u live in us. i stay in california. wen do u plan to give ur nbde1 ?
ok hen take care
bye good luck

hi anu
thanks fro replying
frist of all my name is ashish and my wife's name is swati
this is just to clear misunderstanding
i am living in CARY NORTH CAROLINA.
and i am planning to give part 1 near by to our town
i am stuyding all the subject together as i get bored from reading one subject continuesly.
if u want to study with me online than u r heartly invited
reading together will boost our momentum right?
i am a dental graduate from Govt. Dental college Ahemdabad
where u graduate from??
hey if u want to by dental decs of 2004 online than it will be available online on www.freewebs/nbde.com.
it is available in cd format in only 10 dollars.
so just chek it
u can also find some material for preparation on this web site
hey i want to ask u about kaplan course??
can u give me is it helpful or not??
i want to discuss about this matter so plz give some information about this.
kk see you soon
reply me back
u can also mail me as [email protected]
take care
and good luck for ur preparation
bye

sharmila1908 said:
hi everyone,

good luck guys,
shamila
hi guys,
i new to this thread having landed in the us a month back.ive just started preparing for the nbde.cud anyone suggest where i wud get the dental decks from. :luck:

sharmila1908 said:
hey treasure,
oh even i feel biochem is little boring may be becoz there are too many things to remember and more to imagine ( i meant no diagramatic representation like anator physio) it is like that, i dont knowmy speed is worse than a snail, i dont know may be it should get compensated coz v have started a bit early comparatively , wat r u studying, i mean the study materials, iam with kaplan

good luck
sharmila
hi sharmila,
i am kavita,am planning to give my nbde part 1 this dec.have three months to prepare.what does ur experience say,how much time is required to get a decent score.and pl tell me what is better, written or computerized exam.
hope to hear from u soon,all the best to u,kavita.

myra1972 said:
I am also planning to take the Part I on december, but I haven't started yet to review, can you suggest on where and what should I start reading and what method do you use in studying are you memorizing or just reading and understanding, but I wonder if during the exam will I ever remember what I read. Can you inform me on how to study on line
hi myra1972
i came in usa before 3 months ago
and now i am preparing for part 1 comupter based in octomber end
if u want to study online than just give me reply
we can meent online at anytime as i am online all the time at aol
if u want any help than also ask me may be i can help u.
i am living in north carolina at present
kk bye and best of luck for ur preparation

vidya sri said:
hi guys,
i new to this thread having landed in the us a month back.ive just started preparing for the nbde.cud anyone suggest where i wud get the dental decks from. :luck:
hi vidya sri
first of all its nice to see u in this thread.
from here we can help each other very well
if u want to bye dental decs than u can get it online from
www.freewebs.com/nbde this the website from which u can find used books or cd format of all preparation material
and u can also order it from www.decs.com directly
but it will cost u much more so it is more wise to buy it from freewebs.com
i have purchased detal decs of 2004 from that site yesterday and i will give u how it works after i get it kk.
if u have any other question than also u can ask me..
bye take care
and again very very best of luck for ur preparation

uvw said:
hi sharmila,
i am kavita,am planning to give my nbde part 1 this dec.have three months to prepare.what does ur experience say,how much time is required to get a decent score.and pl tell me what is better, written or computerized exam.
hope to hear from u soon,all the best to u,kavita.
hi kavita
u have asked sharmila but may be she doesnt reply anymore so i am replying u
i have paln to give my part 1 in octomber end
from my point of view it is better to give computer based exam as it will help u in managing time according to ur need.
and many of my friends have given computer based exam and their experience is good so its up to u what would u prefer.
and as time limit is concened its depends on ur reading speed and what material are u using.. i am reding kaplan review notes this days and i bet it require atleast 1 month to review it and than 1 month to solve papers adn read dental decs and giving some model exams..
so for reading u have to have enough material(kaplan nots, dental decs of 2004 and Q- papers). if u dont have it than buy it online. if u dont know where to buy it than u can ask me to i will help u out.
kk now let me give u my introduction
my name is ashish and i am living in north carolina with my wife and my parents.
u can ask me anything u want to know.. may be i can help u out.
kk i got to go
i will see u later
bye and best of luck for u r preparation
ashish

hai ashish,
thankx for the information regarding the decks 2004. and i think its the best way to buy them.
and as far as kaplan coaching is concerned its ok for me. the video tapes for nbde is not good , but u can always use the usmle tapes for reference which u dont understand. and the review book is pretty good. and we have the prvious q papers with explanations and also the kaplan q papers.
and iam getting used to this environment as i recently came from india.
thats the main reason i joined it.
ok bye
anu