prepparation for nbde part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dentistforu said:
thanks toothmail
i did study the kaplan notes but a doubt

july 89 ques no.7-9 dental anat
i did not get how we figure out it is a working movement not a protrusive
could someone explain that
thank u
I am not good in explaining..lemme try still..
Had it been a protrusive moment, there would have been a vertical 'scratch'. This is because, the mandile would have moved front. That means the maxillary teeth would have made a 'mesial-distal' direction mark.Now since the diagram shows it as a horizontal 'scratch', we can safely assume that it is a lateral moment and not protrusive

Members don't see this ad.

thank u
i think in some way i understood what u meant
lets see if i can do some other ques of the same kind and then figure out if i understood it or not

AjayDas said:
To Ssaug = Let me reframe my sentence..B-amylase specifically converts starch to ....while A-am. includes many other things..[that's what I have stuffed into my mind through the decks..;)

To Dentistforu = Regarding the moments, even I had the same problem. What I have started doing is use my fists to simulate the moments. I know there is a possibility that everyone might end up staring at me in the exam centre..Fortunately, no one knows me over there ;)I found it much easier compared to moving my mandible left and right as I don't have to imagine anything...instead, I make it happen with the fists and get the right answer[the lower second finger knuckle lying in the centre of the upper corresponds to the distofac cusp of mand lying ..blah blah]
Try it and lemme know..
p.s don't try it if front of your girl...she might pull you along to a psychologist ;)

i did teh fist thing and i think ia m getting some correctly but this one i could not get

89 DA
ques 39
in the right lateral excursion the mesio facial of the 1st max rt molar passes thru which of the following grooves of the mand rt 1st molar
lingual
central
facial
distofacial

ans
lingual
i did not get this one
i need to just mug them i guess

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
the thing is the amount of move ment for the mf cusp of 1st molar is more than that of 2nd max molar
so u see
the 1st molar mf cusp moves thru the lingual groove
and the 2nd molar mf cusp wouuls move thru the facial groove
hope u get it
jay

dentistforu said:
i did teh fist thing and i think ia m getting some correctly but this one i could not get

89 DA
ques 39
in the right lateral excursion the mesio facial of the 1st max rt molar passes thru which of the following grooves of the mand rt 1st molar
lingual
central
facial
distofacial

ans
lingual
i did not get this one

That answer is wrong--the correct answer is C) facial. There simply isn't any way for "lingual" to be the correct answer--that mesiofacial cusp is nowhere near the lingual cusp, but it DOES pass through the facial groove.

This is another error in the NBDE answer key.

jay001 said:
hi
the thing is the amount of move ment for the mf cusp of 1st molar is more than that of 2nd max molar
so u see
the 1st molar mf cusp moves thru the lingual groove
and the 2nd molar mf cusp wouuls move thru the facial groove
hope u get it
jay

???

ItsGavinC said:
That answer is wrong--the correct answer is C) facial. There simply isn't any way for "lingual" to be the correct answer--that mesiofacial cusp is nowhere near the lingual cusp, but it DOES pass through the facial groove.

This is another error in the NBDE answer key.

i thought so,
but what do u reply in the exam all papers have this ans not just one

:luck:

dentistforu said:

89 DA
ques 39
lingual
central
facial
distofacial

ans
lingual
i did not get this one

Ans: Lingual is right

Try this trick:
1. Hold out your the palm of the right hand. The palm faces up parallel to the floor
2 Put the palm of the left hand on top, over the palm of the right hand. Just like when you're applauding or clapping.
3. Curve the thumb of the left hand down, pretend it's the MB cusp of RIGHT 1st M of Max.

For RIGHT lateral excursion, move the right hand to the right (your right) (but still keeping the palms together). Stop and look.
The thumb of your left hand (MB cusp of Max.) is inside of the palm of the right hand. It means that the MB cusp is moving toward the mesial (the Lingual) not lateral (buccal) so the MB cusp passes through the Lingual groove, not the Facial groove.

Another way to look at it: for Right lateral excursion, the mandible moves laterally (buccally) and forward to the right side, bringing the Lingual groove of mand. right 1st M also FORWARD and laterally touching/passing through the MB cusp of Right 1st M max.

For LEFT lateral excursion, do the opposite, move the right hand to the left. The MB cusp should pass through the Facial groove.

lnn2 said:

That simply isn't possible. Kaplan says:

"In a right working movement, the mandible will move to the right or laterally. Alternatively, think of the Maxillary teeth moving left or medially. in this case, the mesial facial cusp of the maxially first molar, which is a non-supporting cusp, will move towards lingual, passing through the facial or buccal groove of the mandibular first molar."

It is the mesialLINGUAL cusp of the maxillary first molar that moves lingually passing through the LINGUAL groove of the mandibular first molar. The question is asking about the mesialbuccal cusp, however, and it in deed passes first through the buccal or facial groove. It has to!

lnn2 said:

Try this trick:
1. Hold out your the palm of the right hand. The palm faces up parallel to the floor
2 Put the palm of the left hand on top, over the palm of the right hand. Just like when you're applauding or clapping.
3. Curve the thumb of the left hand down, pretend it's the MB cusp of RIGHT 1st M of Max.

For RIGHT lateral excursion, move the right hand to the right (your right) (but still keeping the palms together). Stop and look.
The thumb of your left hand (MB cusp of Max.) is inside of the palm of the right hand. It means that the MB cusp is moving toward the mesial (the Lingual) not lateral (buccal) so the MB cusp passes through the Lingual groove, not the Facial groove.

When I do that, the thumb of my left hand is merely between the thumb and index finger of my right hand--right where the facial groove ought to be.

lnn2 said:
For LEFT lateral excursion, do the opposite, move the right hand to the left. The MB cusp should pass through the Facial groove.

In a left working movement, the MB cusp of the right max molar doesn't pass through any groove.

BTW, no offense in any of this.

ItsGavinC said:
In a left working movement, the MB cusp of the right max molar doesn't pass through any groove.

BTW, no offense in any of this.

None taken!
If your answer is right then it doesn't pass through any groove. But if I'm right then it does!
Could you and your professors had been wrong? :D well, I'm going to try it out on typodont, maybe check w. MY professor :) but for now your explainations seem more logical than my improvised technique. So until then, I stand corrected!

ItsGavinC said:
That simply isn't possible. Kaplan says:

"In a right working movement, the mandible will move to the right or laterally. Alternatively, think of the Maxillary teeth moving left or medially. in this case, the mesial facial cusp of the maxially first molar, which is a non-supporting cusp, will move towards lingual, passing through the facial or buccal groove of the mandibular first molar."

Kaplan carries a lots of weight to me! Those guys know exactly what they're talking about! well, until I have anyone creditable to back up me, I stand corrected :)

Members don't see this ad :)
lnn2 said:
None taken!
If your answer is right then it doesn't pass through any groove.

Yeah, I'm just hoping we get a solid answer prior to Part I :D .

Logically, without knowing anything about dentistry really, it would also seem that "facial" is the correct answer. Simply because, in layman's terms, the maxillary teeth "overhang" the mandibular teeth (we know the max arch is actually longer, etc. ,etc.).

So as that max. cusp moves towards the mandibular arch (or the mandibular arch moves to the right in lateral movement) it first encounters dead air (nothingness, becuase it is a non-supporting cusp and in intercuspal position has no contacts) and then it begins to touch the buccal side of the mandibular tooth. On that buccal side there is a facial, or buccal, groove. More movement has that max. cusp passing through the buccal groove of that mandibular tooth, then it eventually reaches the centra fossa of the mandibular tooth, and so on and so forth as the maxillary tooth moves more towards the lingual. Of course, because we are highly trained professionals we know it is actually the mandibular arch moving towards the buccal, but the max. arch appears to be moving towards the lingual.

Let me know what you find out on your typodont. From my typodont it seems impossible for the max. cusp to pass through the lingual groove without first passing through the facial groove and then covering the entire buccolingual width of the mandibular tooth before reaching the side of the tooth, the lingual side, that the lingual groove is on.

In any event, I'm all tuckered out now. :D

ItsGavinC said:
From my typodont it seems impossible for the max. cusp to pass through the lingual groove without first passing through the facial groove and then covering the entire buccolingual width of the mandibular tooth before reaching the side of the tooth, the lingual side, that the lingual groove is on.

In any event, I'm all tuckered out now. :D

If you already tried it out then I'll take your answer for it! I've been wrong before :D

Good luck w. the board! I expect 90s from you :thumbup:

btw, very cute kid you have there!

lnn2 said:
If you already tried it out then I'll take your answer for it! I've been wrong before :D

Good luck w. the board! I expect 90s from you :thumbup:

I test really poorly. I wish it was something I could overcome. What are the odds that it is all mental?

On one hand I could see the exam being cake and getting 96 on it. On the other hand I could see if being difficult and getting 85. Ugh.

Hope you don't mind if I ask you all a question. Your previous posts today have me thinking you are in the dental anatomy mode....On the released 1998 exam, Question #112. The protrusive pathway of the mandibular cusps on the maxillary posterior teeth is toward the ?

The answer key & Kaplan say "mesial"
Maybe my brain is just a little fried from studying, but isn't protrusive movement to the facial?

Thanks for your time and good luck studying.

kdsdds said:
Hope you don't mind if I ask you all a question. Your previous posts today have me thinking you are in the dental anatomy mode....On the released 1998 exam, Question #112. The protrusive pathway of the mandibular cusps on the maxillary posterior teeth is toward the ?

The answer key & Kaplan say "mesial"
Maybe my brain is just a little fried from studying, but isn't protrusive movement to the facial?

Thanks for your time and good luck studying.

Mesial is correct. Remember that it is on the maxillary teeth (sometimes the semantics get me confused and I'm doing the mandibular arch).

I have a sweet diagram that I learned from Kaplan that makes all these movements so easy, but I don't know how to upload it. Maybe I'll see if I can draw one out tonight and post it.

Here is part of it in text that will help with your question:

Maxillary working/nonworking
Buccal/Mesiolingual

Mandibular working/nonworking
Lingual/Distobuccal

Then, to find protrusive movements, you just make a chicken foot. A chicken foot does not look like the letter "Y", but looks more like the letter "E" (that is, it has all three toes pointing out, not two out and one back like the "Y".)

So, take your maxillary components and make some lines. One goes to the Buccal, one goes to the Mesiolingual. In order to make a chicken foot, where would the other line have to be? It would have to be in the mesial. Therefore, we know it is protrusive.

That probably sounds corny, but if I could figure out a way to upload this cool Kaplan diagram it would make tons of sense. The diagram is also MONEY for cusps and contacts and grooves, etc. I learned it from the Kaplan course (it isn't in the book for some reason!).

I got to thinking that my response probably wouldn't make much sense, so maybe you'd better just memorize this information:

Maxillary

Working: Buccal
Nonworking: Mesiolingual
Protrusive: Mesial

Mandibular

Working: Lingual
Nonworking: Distobuccal
Protrusive: Distal

Pretty easy to memorize. Those are the directions the arrows point on any diagram you are given.

Thanks Gavin. I've the same diagrams from Kaplan, and yes, they are FANTASTIC! When I work it out, I now get it. Guess my brain really is fried. Thanks and good luck.

Ok guys..My last message before taking up part 1. All the best to everyone...

p.s ItSGavin, judging by the answers which you have posted[including that 'torr' stuff], if you get 85, I'll eat my hat! I really took you for some PHD guy dude :D

Good luck Ajay :luck: :thumbup:
and Good luck to all taking up written n computerised part-1 :luck:

hey guys! i am planning to take my ndbe 1 next mnth ..i am done with all 3 subjects ,,am left with anatomy which i am gonna strt today...so i have aug for revision...i solved decks & the sample papers..i do lot better in decks as compared to the sample papers...& my average score comes in 70's out of 100.. but yeah the second time around the score comes even better..jus waned to know how much u guys score on a general basis ! so tht i can judje where i stand...??i have 500 ndbe test papers from each subject., do u think tht shoukd be nuff??
anywyas good :thumbup: luck to all of u!!

dent_rana said:
hey guys! i am planning to take my ndbe 1 next mnth ..i am done with all 3 subjects ,,am left with anatomy which i am gonna strt today...so i have aug for revision...i solved decks & the sample papers..i do lot better in decks as compared to the sample papers...& my average score comes in 70's out of 100.. but yeah the second time around the score comes even better..jus waned to know how much u guys score on a general basis ! so tht i can judje where i stand...??i have 500 ndbe test papers from each subject., do u think tht shoukd be nuff??
anywyas good :thumbup: luck to all of u!!

Raw scores in the 70s are going to equate to scaled scores in the low 90s.

I'm missing 15-25 questions on each exam, and my time is running short to do anything about it.

i just wanted to wish all of the very best for monday.I am dreading it .
wish u all the very best and thanks for all the help

AjayDas said:
DA has 202 cards [including legend] None of the cards have more than onw question...
Regarding ECE, if you did your graduation in India, you need to send you 12'th marks, BDS marks, Internship Completion Certificate and your Registration[not sure about the last one..send it just in case]
None of them need to be notarized..Make sure you tick on 'Further Education' in the 'reason for applying for Evaluation' if you want to get a GPA.I didn't do it...and have no idea right now about my GPA
In case you are confident, you can directly opt for the Course by Course Evaluation and forget about WES.

I am not sure about the minimum score needed to apply to Universities..But 3 is surely acceptable..But then, the more, the better ;)
hi ajay,
thanks a lot 4 ur explanation......
wat this gpa, should i tick on course by course eva or general eva....b'coz many people told me to tick on general ...wat the diff , which one should i tick.

good luck ajay

hai
everybody,iam ANU.new to his thread.
thinking of taking up nbde part1 in dec. iam really waiting for some one who can help me out in the preparation of these exams. can u people just share ur ideas with me.and i'll b greatful to that if u can. i just graduated from india. came to us 2 weeks ago. and i think its high time to start my preparation.
thankx
good luck to all of us. :)
stay connected.
bye
anu

hi guys reading all that da stuff my brain is weirded out i am preparing but i am not in that stage where all of ull are anyway i guess i wll get there soon.oh no i hate this!!somuch stres,anyway all the very best to all who r taking the written or comp exma.allthe best ajay ull do well.itsgavin,etc all of us here r gonna top the exma go fo rit guys!!let usknwo how u did&share the info advice for us poor souls who still have to hang onto this torture for a another month!!!oh man!
and welcome to anu formthe forum.hi anu how r u?decks&q papers r the best,use them form day one.it should be ok.when r u planning to give exam?where in us r u ?have u got all the materials?ok thast it guys looking fwd to hearing from ya ppl.take care!

Hi Friends,
I just registered myself to this SDN,totally new,and already very impressed with this huge amount of information and so many people who are so sincerely trying to help each other.
I am planning to take part1 in september,i will be retaking it,i took it 1st time in july2003.so its been over a year,
I am planning to use released exams,2001 dental deck& i might refer kaplan 2003 book.
any suggestions,or any other things i need to update myself about,any change of pattern of test or changes in deck,ANY KIND OF FEED BACK,plz help.i will very greatful.
any body need a study partner,can send me email or private message.

hi dental dream,
all the best.........
i guess the materials that u r using now is very much sufficient.....
thats wat all those who got 90+ studied but they did it thoroughly i guess.....
iam using the same ones.

hope this helps.
cheers.

Hi SS,
thanx buddy.
i have started with anatomy,from dental deck,just did 18 cards,will revise them today and will move on,trying to put myself back into serious study mode yet.
what about you?where re you from?when are you taking the test and how is your study ?
see you around.

hey guys!! howzit going so far!! i am saturated ...i mean if u think of it we r doing 1 & 2 yr of dental scool togther at one time which we did over a course of 2 yrs...anywys we have to deal with it...i am takin the cbt in endin aug...jus finished one round of kaplan book,decks & sample papers...am gonna srt the revision now..provided i remember stuff... :confused:
i do good in decks as compared to the released test papers...how about u all???hey did anyone take the written test on monday..how did it go..wus it ok??
how good do u think is if one gets an average of 70's of 100 in a test..? how much do u all get..?

hi dental dream,
well i havent decided the date yet. Iam in a dilemma whether to take up the cbt in october or to take up the written in december. My study is going on.....not so great........ not able to study for 4 hours for a day :( my in laws r here so there r many trips ahead.....Lets c anyway how about....when r u planning to take it up.

cheers.

hi ss,
thanx for ur response,
i am taking it in last week september,yesterday was 1st day when i gave 3 hrs ,it ll get better slowly and slowly.
see you around.

hi dental dream,
thats great...... so u r planning to take up in september is it.........thats good.......it is always to work hard for 2 months and finish the exam faster instead of sloging for 5-6 months... urs a good move......so u started to prepare in the mid of july is it? u can really do it DD ....ALL THE BEST

cheers....

ssaug said:
hi dental dream,

well i havent decided the date yet. Iam in a dilemma whether to take up the cbt in october or to take up the written in december. My study is going on.....not so great........ not able to study for 4 hours for a day :( my in laws r here so there r many trips ahead.....Lets c anyway how about....when r u planning to take it up.

cheers.

hi there,
howz everything.do not worry about the quantity of hours but give ur best in whatever hours y stuy.
i wanted to ask u one thing...do ya know what mock boards are and can u arrange the qs of mock boards and of pilot paper [whatever that is]
try to.and please help us again.
thankz bye. cheers.

hiya all,
even for me things r going slow.......but still v hav to do it........

hi deepa,
i am not able to figure out wat r u asking ? mocks tests something.....

cheers.

hi guys,
i have a doubt.....

how many phases does actuall the cardiac cycle has?
one
two
three
four

answer - two ( as per decks )

but as in kaplan books and as per text books it is three phases.....
atrial systole, ventricular systole and ventricular diastole.

iam slightly confused.......

but if the cardiac cycle is considered as the period from beginning of one heart beat to the beginning of the next.......then it is actually two phases....
so is the problem........kindly clarify it.....

cheers....

but as in kaplan books and as per textbooks it is three phases.....

if any answers from other reference books other than these two it is appreciable.......

ssaug said:
but as in kaplan books and as per textbooks it is three phases.....

if any answers from other reference books other than these two it is appreciable.......

If they ask it on the actual exam the answer is two cycles....systole and diastole

thx a lot khurram,
i thought so......the thing is sometimes the reference books itself confuses us....

cheers.

hi guys,
howz it going........ my gosh!!!!!!!!! sometimes it is really terrible, the motivation server is totally down so iam not able to get an access to decks :confused: r everyone sailing in the same boat or is it in my case only. :scared:

cheers.

hi,
iam planning to apply for the cbt wat should i do? i found the site in ada but about the copy of ECE stuff iam little confused......... kindly guide me about this issue.

a question :cool:

from gossopharyngeal nerve which root passes to otic ganglon
1)parasympathetic
2)sympathetic

while answering please mention the referral book'name too

rags182 said:
a question :cool:

from gossopharyngeal nerve which root passes to otic ganglon
1)parasympathetic
2)sympathetic

while answering please mention the referral book'name too

Parasympathetic :)
-dentaldecks!/Kaplan! :D

Gray's version

The fibers from the glossopharyngeal which pass to the otic ganglion in the small superficial petrosal are supposed to be sympathetic efferent (preganglionic) fibers from the dorsal nucleus or inferior salivatory nucleus of the medulla. Fibers (postganglionic) from the otic ganglion with which these form synapses are supposed to pass with the auriculotemporal nerve to the parotid gland. A slender filament (sphenoidal) ascends from it to the nerve of the Pterygoid canal, and a small branch connects it with the chorda tympani.

i knew it to be parasympathetic too but Gray' is saying something else :(

hey there,
according to dental decks the root of glossopharangeal nerve to otic ganglion is parasympathetic trunk is the answer .
refrences are thru valid materialto test ,decks and kaplan..
quote, "it is a peripheral parasympathetic ganglion relays secretomotor fibres to the parotid gland.topographically intimately related to mandibular nerve but functionally part of glossopharyngeal nerve.
motor /parasympathetic part fromed by lesser petrosal nerve.
preganglionic derived from inferior salivatory nucleus.
pass thru 9 nerve ,its tympanic branch tympanic plexus andlesser petrosal nerve to reach the ganglion .
postganglionic secretomotor fibres pass thru auriculotemporal nerve to parotid gland.
sympathetic root comes from plexsus of middle meningeal artery .contains postganglionic fibres arising from superior cervical ganglion .
motor root from auriculo temporal nerve nd is sensory to parotid gland"
from chaurasia.
hope it helps.
bye