Prep classes. Worth it or not?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am studying for the June SAT but am not expecting a FANTASTIC score. I plan on taking them again senior year. I really want to make sure I score over a 2000.

My friend did a prep class and said it was a waste of money.

Is it worth it if I want to get >2000?

Members don't see this ad.

I never did a prep class and I did really well without studying. I think it depends on you as a person. Honestly, I would never pay money to study for a high school exam but it is up to you. Sine you seem to have some trouble with tests maybe it is a good option for you. However, I would suggest just getting some SAT books to study from and self study. It saves money and it should be sufficient help.

They're ripoffs. You pretty much just pay them to tell you to read prep books.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends.

If you're having trouble approaching the exam, having pacing issues or just have problems with strategy, a good prep class can be worth while.

I took one for the ACT in HS and it really helped with my pacing (got me a good 4 points). This was taught by a faculty member at my school who did know what he was talking about.

I also took prep classes for the MCAT. I didn't find this as helpful, but with the prep-class came access to Kaplan's test bank and other test-prep materials. These were very helpful.

I'm taking a prep-class for step I (sort of), it's more of a guided study course, basically focusing on ways to approach the test and identifying things that I should be focusing on to study. I'm using this to supplement the studying I'm doing at home.

The key point-

A prep class can be a useful supplement to study. If it's good, it will help you approach the test, make you familiar with the test and give you a good strategy which you'll be confident with.

You want to do a lot of practice tests before taking the real deal, this way you'll be familiar with what you'll see on test day and you'll have your pacing down.

I think the classes themselves are a waste. Especially since the instructors read off the paper, the answer to the questions and explainations.

The only thing worth it about those classes are the online quiz materials and the actual sample tests they give you. Except for that i wouldnt do it. With dedication, and commitment, you can just buy books and do many practice tests.

The Blue Book from college board is great for the SAT's.

I'm not a prep class person, but to be honest, I don't even remember studying for my SATs. If you really feel that you must, buy a prep book with decent practice tests/problems and don't look back.

No class is going to get you in the 2000s, it's all up to how intelligent you are basically. The classes are suppose to guarantee you a 100 point increase. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well, but 100 points is 100 points. It's incredibly difficult to break 2000, and if you aren't scoring close to that without classes, chances are you won't be in the 2000s with classes.