Is it worth it to become a paramedic during college?

CrazyboyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to become a paramedic during college?

I'm a rising senior and thinking about doing it during college...I am enrolling in an EMT course this summer....

Should I just stay as an EMT-B or move forward with Paramedic?

Members don't see this ad.

As an EMT I would not recommend paramedic. In fact I would commonly recommend other things over EMT. I enjoy being an EMT but only do it if you want to be an EMT in addition to being premed. If you're just looking for some sort of paid clinical exposure be a scribe, in the sense of clinical experience it is essentially equal to an EMT. If I had to do it over I think I would pick phlebotomy or medical assistant over EMT, there's just more you can do.

As for paramedic, you will see WAY more stuff and do WAY more but it is also a minimum of like 10 months if you do the accelerated part time class. Where I work I can get my medic for free but it honestly just isn't worth the time I would sink into it. I would rather spend my time in clubs, research, or volunteering.

Do you guys think my CNA certification will help me with the course?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think my CNA certification will help me with the course?

Maybe, doesn't really matter though, the course isn't challenging at all. If you get an A in a college level science class you should be able to move through it pretty easily. I took an accelerated class, worked full time, and took 2 other college courses and I didn't have a problem with it. You'll have to study, it's not all just common sense, but it isn't super challenging material. Unless you get on a medic/basic truck you will primarily be doing transfers and maybe some priority 2s where I'm at.

Everyone, my EMT course requires me to work in the ER with a nurse as a part of the training, do you guys think I have to wear the uniform, or do you think I can wear scrubs?

Everyone, my EMT course requires me to work in the ER with a nurse as a part of the training, do you guys think I have to wear the uniform, or do you think I can wear scrubs?

I think this is a question you should ask your immediate superiors or the people you will be working with

They usually have you wear your EMT training gear which for me was a white polo shirt and blue or black pants with your school ID. They do not let you wear scrubs. As an observer you really will just be observing; don't expect to be getting dirty during EMS shadowing.

Also, to answer your first post if you want to become a doctor, focus on becoming a doctor. EMT and Paramedic should be focused on if that is what you want to do. EMS is just glorified patient transport. Paramedic is not the bridge to medicine that you would be led to believe. Do it if that is what you want to do not because you think it would make you a better doc.

Reactions: 1 user
They usually have you wear your EMT training gear which for me was a white polo shirt and blue or black pants with your school ID. They do not let you wear scrubs. As an observer you really will just be observing; don't expect to be getting dirty during EMS shadowing.

Also, to answer your first post if you want to become a doctor, focus on becoming a doctor. EMT and Paramedic should be focused on if that is what you want to do. EMS is just glorified patient transport. Paramedic is not the bridge to medicine that you would be led to believe. Do it if that is what you want to do not because you think it would make you a better doc.

Agree, we wore our EMT uniforms so we stuck out like sore thumbs and a nice big name tag with the word "STUDENT" plastered under it.

To your other point, I actually did get to get my hands dirty a little bit when I was on one of my ER clinical. First and only time I've ever done CPR so far, always wondered since then if I was actually allowed to do it or if I was just supposed to observe. I was CPR certified, but technically just on a student clinical.

To OP: When asking questions it might be helpful to quote the person who it is directed at, they won't get a notification otherwise unless they're watching the thread.

YES.

But take a gap year to do it.

It's SO great making 30k working part time during college & building invaluable relationships.

Graduated with multiple accepts (3.5 gpa 505 mcat so the paramedic helped a lot lol) + an amazing professional network because I was a paramedic before college.

lol I totally disagree.

As a medic student in the ER I was doing RSI + intubations, assisting with chest tube placement, so no... not just watching if you go to medic school.

As an EMT student, if something is happening that is within your scope (tiny) step forward & ask if you can do xyz & they'll almost always say yes esp if you're professional about it.

paramedicine is an excellent bridge to medicine imo -- gives you some great opportunities that are just not available to your peers.

Last edited:
lol I totally disagree.

As a medic student in the ER I was doing RSI + intubations, assisting with chest tube placement, so no... not just watching if you go to medic school.

As an EMT student, if something is happening that is within your scope (tiny) step forward & ask if you can do xyz & they'll almost always say yes esp if you're professional about it.

paramedicine is an excellent bridge to medicine imo -- gives you some great opportunities that are just not available to your peers.

If you are an EMS student, you will guaranteed not be assisting in intubations as per hospital policies, regulations, and guidelines. If you were trying to say "observe" then that's something totally different. The most they will let you do is blood pressures and things of that nature. You would be the last person they ask to perform CPR on a coding patient; I mean they don't know who you are and you won't be there observing for long enough. Let us know which hospital let you do such things though. As an EMS student you have ZERO training to even by toying around with such things and honestly if you wanted that type of exposure, I would arrange that separately with the hospital when you are DONE with the EMS observatory requirements. They put you in the hospital for those 10-15 hours just so you know how the ER works.

If you think paramedicine is an "excellent" bridge, please let us know why instead of just saying you think so. Having gone to medical school with a former paramedic, the basic sciences portion, according to him, is not exactly similar to paramedic school.

If you are an EMS student, you will guaranteed not be assisting in intubations as per hospital policies, regulations, and guidelines. If you were trying to say "observe" then that's something totally different. The most they will let you do is blood pressures and things of that nature. You would be the last person they ask to perform CPR on a coding patient; I mean they don't know who you are and you won't be there observing for long enough. Let us know which hospital let you do such things though. As an EMS student you have ZERO training to even by toying around with such things and honestly if you wanted that type of exposure, I would arrange that separately with the hospital when you are DONE with the EMS observatory requirements. They put you in the hospital for those 10-15 hours just so you know how the ER works.

If you think paramedicine is an "excellent" bridge, please let us know why instead of just saying you think so. Having gone to medical school with a former paramedic, the basic sciences portion, according to him, is not exactly similar to paramedic school.

This is just not accurate, EMS students are very hands on during clinicals. got my first intubations in the ED as a medic student! And EDs more than happy to let EMTs do CPR in my experience stateside.

Anyone who has questions about EMS// paramedic education before med school, feel free to pm me!

Being a paramedic certainly can be a plus, but so can a higher GPA or a more extensive research CV. There is no right way to get into medical school, your CV should be a reflection of your message not a parroting of what you think med schools want. I did research on ants, taught inner city after school programs, competed in Latin Dance, and did zero medical volunteering and <50 hours of shadowing/clinical exposure in college. I developed an understanding and appropriate view of medicine not through the usual means but through extensive study of the history and philosophy of medicine during college.

As a current EMT-B student I'm already sort-of questioning if I should have taken an EMR course instead as my original intention was to volunteer in college and nothing else.

What are your reasons for wanting to pursue Paramedic? As others have said it's a whole lot of work for a full-fledged career; I don't know why anyone would become one other than wanting to do it as their full-time job. EMT-B is fine for exposure and appeasing the schools.

Annnnnd make that 3 accepts this cycle!!! Got into my top choice & *no doubt* that being a medic was a huge part of that

Annnnnd make that 3 accepts this cycle!!! Got into my top choice & *no doubt* that being a medic was a huge part of that

Highly doubt that. But good luck on your accomplishment.