Preliminary year before applying to IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquaporin4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm a non-US IMG and I've just received my ECFMG certification. I would like to know if it is advisable doing a preliminary/transitional year before applying to an IM categorical program in the next season. I was thinking about trying to get a spot during the SOAP this year or after the match process is ended, but I have heard that sometimes the PD don't see well this kind of things because it could mean that you didn't match in the main process.

I would like to do this because I think it would be the best way to have a hands-on clinical experience, but wouldn't want to harm myself.

These are my credentials: 236/ 252/ 2nd attempt/ YOG:2015/ 4 LOR from observerships/ 2 publications/ research experience upcoming for 6 mo.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

If the observerships are the extent of your US clinical experience... I think a prelim/TY year would help you. You're going to want letters from clinical experience closer to your actual application, and if you do well in a prelim spot I think that those letters would be more meaningful. If the prelim spot is at a place you wouldn't mind ending up at, maybe you can even get yourself a spot there. I wouldn't worry about them thinking you didn't match last year--if you're concerned you could have one line in your personal statement explaining why you didn't apply for the main match this year, but I don't think you really have to.

The downside obviously is that it's a pain in the rear to figure out how to get days off for interviews while you're doing an actual intern year. But I think you're going to have a hard time proving clinical experience by just continuing research.