Preliminary surgery 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frustrated IMG

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chancesof geting a prelim surgery year with 220 on step 1 and step2 .. if i apply to 80 prelim programs only

Members don't see this ad.

It's impossible to answer your question. There are many other parts to your application -- what school you went to and how you did, US clinical experience, how long ago you graduated, etc. And prelim surgery is difficult to assess, since it isn't reported in Charting Outcomes. And one could ask why you're looking at prelim GS, since you'll need something else to follow it.

Reactions: 1 user
It's impossible to answer your question. There are many other parts to your application -- what school you went to and how you did, US clinical experience, how long ago you graduated, etc. And prelim surgery is difficult to assess, since it isn't reported in Charting Outcomes. And one could ask why you're looking at prelim GS, since you'll need something else to follow it.
I am still an undergrad . I will graduate in march 2019,
I have my ck next week , probably i will do better than step 1(220).
Have my cs in august ..

I am still an undergrad . I will graduate in march 2019,
I have my ck next week , probably i will do better than step 1(220).
Have my cs in august ..
Unfortunately i am an IMG student in pakistan .... seniors from my school have a good match rate but no one even applies to surgery let alone match into surgery

Unfortunately i am an IMG student in pakistan .... seniors from my school have a good match rate but no one even applies to surgery let alone match into surgery
And also .. i don't have usce . With low scores, i beleive it is better to spend 1 year in prelim and show ur worth by dedicated hardwork , rather than observations and externships .