prelim vs. transitional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YAGman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do transitional programs want all the letters and your personal statement to specify that you are going for transitional programs? or can they say you are going for prelims too?

anyone have any input on which to do?

Members don't see this ad.

YAGman said:
do transitional programs want all the letters and your personal statement to specify that you are going for transitional programs? or can they say you are going for prelims too?

anyone have any input on which to do?

No, you don't need your letters to specify that you are applying to TY programs; nor do you need the people writing your letters to write a separate one specifying that you are applying to prelim programs. I just added a paragraph at the end of my personal statement detailing my reasons for wanting to do a transitional year. At the time I was applying, this was what other people I knew were doing too.

Do optho residencies accept peds interns as pgy-2's?

Members don't see this ad :)
augmel said:
My guess would be no, but contact the american board of ophthalmology to find out.

if I don't get matched in Opthalmology, do I still have chance to get a preliminary year IM match?

If one is applying to both prelims and transitional programs, do letter writers have to write 2 letters? i guess my real question is, do transitional programs turn your application down if anything in it refers to prelim programs? or do they not care and assume trans/prelim is pretty much the same?

I don't think most care if you even mention trans or prelim in your statement. They know full well why you are doing it. Instead of including some bs paragraph at the end that they can read right over, my PS was the exact same on ERAS as SF. One trans program in NYC even asked us at the interview to let them know if we would like them to include us in consideration for the prelim positions if we had previously only applied to the trans program. It's not like ophtho where they want to fully assess your love/interest for their field. You answered that question when you didn't go into medicine. But if it makes you feel better include the extra few sentences, but instead of worrying about that, just be normal in your interview. I got letters from several very competitive trans programs after the interviews and I assure you it wasn't because of my numbers (which is probably why I did not get interviews at the most competitive ophtho spots).

augmel said:

I found this on the ACGME website: (http://www.acgme.org/downloads/RRC_progReq/240pr703.pdf)

III. Resident Appointment
A. Eligibility Criteria

All applicants entering ophthalmology training programs must have taken a post-graduate clinica year (PGY-l) in a program accredited by the ACGME or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. The PGY-1 year must be comprised of training in which the resident has primary responsibility for patient care in fields such as internal medicine, neurology, pediatrics, surgery, family practice, or emergency medicine. As a minimum, six months of this year must be a broad experience in direct patient care.

It seems that there are a lot of options for the prelim year.