Ophthalmology residency and transitional/preliminary year application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LydiaM*

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a med4 IMG student, and I wanted to learn more about the application process for residency in Ophthalmology.

Based on what I read:
1) We need to apply for a transitional or preliminary PGY1 year via ERAS, and AT THE SAME TIME apply for an Ophthalmology residency for PGY2 via the SF match system, is that correct?
2) What are the chances for IMGs of getting accepted into this program?
3) What happens if someone is accepted into one program (ophtho or transitional/prelim year) but not the other?
4) Are there any programs that offer both the PGY1 prelim year and the PGY2 Ophtho residency as a same "package"?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes
2) Depends. How strong of an applicant are you? Previous threads will have more information about this.
3) Again, depends. If you are accepted into an ophthalmology program but can't find a transitional/prelim year, you can usually scramble for an unfilled spot. These open spots tend to be horrific in many ways, but it's better than the other situation where you match into a prelim year but not in ophthalmology. Ophthalmology is early match so if you don't match, you can withdraw from the prelim/transitional year process.
4) There are a few out there. Hard to find but obviously very good gigs to get.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes
2) Depends. How strong of an applicant are you? Previous threads will have more information about this.
3) Again, depends. If you are accepted into an ophthalmology program but can't find a transitional/prelim year, you can usually scramble for an unfilled spot. These open spots tend to be horrific in many ways, but it's better than the other situation where you match into a prelim year but not in ophthalmology. Ophthalmology is early match so if you don't match, you can withdraw from the prelim/transitional year process.
4) There are a few out there. Hard to find but obviously very good gigs to get.

Thank you!