Prelim programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr2b0804

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone if there is a nice neat list of all of the prelim programs anywhere? Or, do I just have to search from hospital to hospital and see if they have prelim programs in locations I'd want to be. Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

go to FREIDA, they have a searchable index of all the programs, which should tell you where the prelim programs are.

Yeah - I ran into the same problem last year - there is no list of prelim programs on Freida or ERAS. There's a list of transitional programs but I had to go from program to program to look for prelim programs.

Here is the list of Transitional Year programs. It's on the AHME website (Association for Hospital Medical Education). It's a scroll down menu with links to each programs stats (not as in depth as the Freida site).

http://www.ahme.org/publications/transitional.html

You can also go to Freida and click the Transitional Year box too. Click "Choose Specialty" and then check the Transitional Box, then search. Here is a link to the Freida site:

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/

I don't know if this is what you're after, but hopefully it helps.
Good luck (I hate this application stuff). :(

One of the search parameters in FREIDA is to search for programs with prelim positions. That should net you programs that have prelim spots (at least according to FREIDA).

Anyone who applied to prelim. programs in California last year have thoughts on the competetiveness of grabbing a spot?

Grew up and went to undergrad there, which may help, now in allopathic non-top 50 midwest school, average grades with an A in third year medicine, great letters, couple of pubs, and a 226 Step1. I'm thinking about appying to only Cali prelim . spots in Bay Area and LA, don't need a top position but don't want to be shut out either...what does the field look like? How did it go last year?

:thumbup:

Thanks for the ideas. I guess Freida is my best option...I better get started with the sifting! :eek:

amnesic said:
Anyone who applied to prelim. programs in California last year have thoughts on the competetiveness of grabbing a spot?

Grew up and went to undergrad there, which may help, now in allopathic non-top 50 midwest school, average grades with an A in third year medicine, great letters, couple of pubs, and a 226 Step1. I'm thinking about appying to only Cali prelim . spots in Bay Area and LA, don't need a top position but don't want to be shut out either...what does the field look like? How did it go last year?

i think you're in pretty good standing. there's a good number of prelim programs in the bay area (st. mary's, CPMC, kaiser SF and UCSF in the city) and in the south bay (stanford, valley, kaiser santa clara). i know less about the east bay programs, but there are at least alameda county and kaiser oakland.

there are even more programs around LA, so i think that you should have a pretty good shot at landing a spot somewhere in california for prelim.

Thanks for the response, Skrubz...and enjoy Stanfoo, you'll have a blast. Try the Hobbee's Restaurant for breakfast sometime, across El Camino from campus at the Town and Country Village. Best coffee cake ever.

Now all I have to do is land a Gas spot in California with those same numbers...

:D

amnesic said:
Thanks for the response, Skrubz...and enjoy Stanfoo, you'll have a blast. Try the Hobbee's Restaurant for breakfast sometime, across El Camino from campus at the Town and Country Village. Best coffee cake ever.

Now all I have to do is land a Gas spot in California with those same numbers...

:D
Word. Hobee's is the bomb.

As for gas, I think you'll be in good shape. If want to, you can PM about the programs you're interested in in California and I can give you my opinions of the ones that I interviewed at (most of them). Or you can search around the gas forum.

Skrubz said:
i think you're in pretty good standing. there's a good number of prelim programs in the bay area (st. mary's, CPMC, kaiser SF and UCSF in the city) and in the south bay (stanford, valley, kaiser santa clara). i know less about the east bay programs, but there are at least alameda county and kaiser oakland.

there are even more programs around LA, so i think that you should have a pretty good shot at landing a spot somewhere in california for prelim.

I've done the math for LA and there's like 45 prelim med positions in the city itself, another 13 in OC, and 2 more in Pasadena. Doesn't seem like all that many to me. It's also probably very competitive considering (1) it's LA and (2) applicants for these spots are the future ophtho, rads, derm, gas, etc. people.

I haven't looked at the Bay Area programs, but I think there's actually more spots up north than down here.

My bad, Jaded. Thanks for bringing it up. Let's see... for NorCal, I have the following programs (based on 2004 sizes)
Alameda County (Oakland) 3 prelim
CA Pacific (SF) 14 prelim
Kaiser Oakland 4 prelim
Kaiser SF 7 prelim
Kaiser Santa Clara 7 prelim
Santa Clara Valley 9 prelim
St. Mary's 12 prelim
Stanford 7 prelim
UCSF 6 prelim
Total 69 prelim spots (7 east bay, 23 south bay, 39 SF)

That's good stuff, Skrubz. Let me contribute the actual breakdown by program for the LA area. I missed one large program in my previous count (Olive View), so there's actually more in So Cal (if you count The OC and The Valley as in the "LA area").

St. Mary (Long Beach): 8
Cedars-Sinai: 8
MLK-Drew: 3
Kaiser Sunset: 5
UCLA: 3
UCLA-VA: 15
LAC+USC: 1
White Memorial: 4
UCI: 13
Huntington Memorial: 2
UCLA-San Fernando (Olive View): 16

Total: 78 (LA: 47, Valleys: 18, OC: 13)

Nice work you guys. Looks a bit more competitve than orginally thought, hopefully all the good deeds I have done growing up in Cali will help my standing. Probably should apply to out of state programs as well.

Also, I think a lot of the more competitve applicants from Rads and Derm at least will be looking more towards transitional year programs.

amnesic said:
Also, I think a lot of the more competitve applicants from Rads and Derm at least will be looking more towards transitional year programs.

Agreed. Most of them do look for transitional spots. If you're open to areas outside of the Bay and LA, there are also other prelim spots available (e.g. UCSD).

I got your PM, amnesic. I'll answer as soon as I get a chance to put together a coherent response.