Prelim positions and couples match...Suggestions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couples matching - me gen surg and her OB/GYN. At this point in time we have a rank list of about 10 programs. While thats not a terrible situation to be in it could obviously be better. My question for the SDN clan is this:

I'm considering ranking surgical prelim positions at the bottom of my couples rank list in order to increase my chances of a successful couples match. However, I didn't apply (and therefore didn't interview) for any prelim positions. Now that interview season is over do I contact PDs and ask if they would consider ranking me for a prelim position as well as categorical? Does this hurt my categorical chances as it could give them an "out" if they were on the fence about me already? Maybe helpful because it shows "I want to be at their program irregardless"? Overall terrible idea?

If anyone has any input or experience with this I would love to hear from you.

Members don't see this ad.

At some of the programs I interviewed at, they told us that they automatically put everyone they interview on their prelim list as well. You can always call anonymously and ask if they auto-place you on a prelim list.