Pregnancy and residency interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amom

Pre-medical
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have tried searching the forums regarding this but there aren't any threads that include experience of any one trying to match into OB. I am a 3rd year medical student and hubby and I are planning on having another one before the intern year. Any thoughts on the impact of being pregnant during the interview/audition rotation has on the match?

Members don't see this ad.

Inevitable you'll run into some programs that will be judgmental. In my opinion, those are not programs you'd want to train in!

Do what is best for you and your family. There are a myriad of programs that are family friendly and non-judgemental, whose decision will not be impacted by the pregnancy.

Best of luck!

As someone who is pretty far along in pregnancy (35 weeks) and on the residency interview trail, I have encountered no issues. Most programs are enthusiastic and proceed to tell me how many of their residents have had babies during residency. Usually residency programs are more concerned about your enthusiasm for Ob/Gyn, your board scores, and personality, etc.

And besides, like the previous poster said, you don't want to match at a program that's going to judge you negatively for being pregnant. Good luck with everything and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Thank you!!